Nioxin Scalp Renew?

:bump:

Someone's review from Amazon:

14 of 15 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars 4 inches of hair growth, July 13, 2011
By Luvnlife "Tam" (korea) - See all my reviews

I purchased this product from Amazon and had my stylist apply at the salon in Korea. I'm an African-American female in the Army (helicopter pilot). My hair is continuously under stress from the beret, flight helmet and every day stressors. I noticed thinning (really balding) in the middle of my head and around my edges where the beret lies. My hair usually is very thick and long but due to the stressors listed above, it was thin and damaged. I said all of that to say this; when my stylist placed this product in my hair (2 weeks after my relaxer) and rinsed it out, the water was jet black...my scalp and pores were extremely clog (this treatment removes dead skin and impurities). After he finished the product, my scalp was white...like a paper plate white. It's been 8 weeks since that treatment and my hair has grown 4 inches and my hair is thick again. My first treatment and I got 4 inches of hair. The area that had thinning is now full of hair. I can't believe how much my hair has grown. My hair actually hasn't been this length since I was in Iraq 6 years ago. I will get my next one in a few weeks (takes a little while to ship to APO and I didn't do prior planning to get it here on time), they recommend every 30 to 45 days for the first 3 times and every 6 months there after. You never know how dirty your scalp really is, even with regular shampoos. Shampoos only do a surface cleaning. I can go on and on about this product. I'm going to take a picture of my hair now and take a picture a two months so you can see for yourself. People are now asking me is my hair real, it's so healthy and long. The people who knew me before ask me how did I get my hair to grow so fast and am I take vitamins. I didn't change anything other than adding the scalp renew to my hair care process.

Last edited:
Excuse typos on my phone. Okay so you have your first guinea pig tada!

They do not sell this to anyone but stylists...ha ha except at a bs run by a chinese couple downtown. They were even nice enough to hold it for me till * got there. They did ask if I am a stylist and when I said no they shrugged and let me buy it anyways.

Why I bought it: thyroid (graves disease after RAI)keeps going out of balance lately coupled w anemia. Sure I keep.going to the doc to adjust but meanwhile I noticed more shedding (w bulb long hairs) and I did research...it says this product stops shedding and breakage by more than 50%. Keep this in mind as I review.

So...there are 0 instructions (SAY WHAAAAT?!). You heard. I was ready for this after doing research. The only way I was ok w it is that I saw a youtube vid for stylists. You apply it to hair by separating into four sections. You avoid eves but make sure to outline each section on the scalp line. You the part hair vertically and horizontally so there is a grid in each section. Sections should be 3/4 of an inch or less. You make sure to squeeze product on the scalp only. You then massage it in once you covered each section in circular motion for.10 min more only. You then wash it out until water runs clear. I will be back w more as Ijust arrived home and can turn on my computer. I am tired of typing on this phone. See you in five minutesfor continuation....

Last edited:
Sorry my wifi is slow I may have to continue this later as there is no way Iwill type the rest out on my phone. I just tried and erased it so this is it for now. Signing off of my phone. Hate to keep anyone hanging. I will continue as soon as my wifi gets it together!

I used this too and liked it, I still have one bottle left as I found a great deal for 6 on eBay. Do a google search for the application instructions, I found them on line and printed them out. I will need to add this back into my regimen.

Okay so I'm back.

Did I also mention I did this to prep for protective styling through a weave? I have not done one in a while but I didn't like all that hair shed and I also wanted my hair in tip top shape to go into protective style so that I can get to my next goal quickly. After reading all the good stuff I thought yay. I prep my hair...why not my scalp? How cool is this.

1) The whole water was black thing that the other reviewer said...can NOT relate. YEah uhm she had a seriously clogged scalp. I think that washing and scrubbing my scalp with the pads of my fingers prevented that by keeping my scalp relatively clean. BUT it did look like really weak tea before steeping when I rinsed until it ran clear. I then of course washed and conditioned.

2) After I did all the steps I did notice that my hair had little to no shed. It was like night and day. It reduced shedding by well over 50% I'd say closer to 80-90%

The next day:
3) I went to lightly flat iron my hair (my hairstylist can braid either way but as my hair is getting really long I wanted it to lie as flat as possible)....I noticed something.

I was like WHY am I having a big hair day. What's up with the way my hair is moving? It is really bouncy but it's like my hair has more body. I think it's because if you see the drawing at the scalp on the nioxin page, it takes the gunk away so the hair behaves like it did when it was younger because the folicles don't hold the hair down flat anymore. It's free to hold it the way it was meant to grow out of the folicles. The product loosens any gunk and collagen, etc, dead skin cells, etc so that the hair returns to it's optimal state, grows at its' optimal state, while at the same time, there is cell regeneration that is youthful so the folicles start acting youthful. I would never believe that who speal if I didn't see for myself how much body my hair had (and yes I have really dense hair but this was SOME body for just having lightly flat ironed) versus before. I almost hated to have it braided up and put into a weave lol.

So anyways I'm curious to see what happens. It says ever 30-45 days for at least 3 times. I will do it again when I take my protective style out in 45 days. And once again possibly. I'm not sure about growth but I am sure that it made my scalp and hair behave differently. Oh and my scalp did appear whiter (not sure what that means but hey the enzymes exfoliate the scalp so maybe that's why).

End of review. I think if you have fine or limp hair, this product will at the very least revitalize and give your hair more body. And if you (regardless of type or texture, or think or thin or whatever) like bigger hair, then this is for you. If you are however trying to get your hair smaller....stay away because it will cause the hair to stand out of the folicles up and out (not sick out) but it won't lay flat so to speak, it will lay like a kid's hair lays.

That really made me think, what else is it doing for my scalp if it can do all of this in one treatment? Okay so that's it for me.

Btw it cost me $19.99 not sure how much it is on amazon. I got mine at a bs because I needed it right away as I was going to get my protective style within a couple days of purchasing it (and I wanted to do it before I did that).

Last edited:
I still have some scalp renew left. Time to pull it back out.

luckiestdestiny,

A little off topic, but who does your weaves in NYC? Where do you get your hair?
It's okay to PM me.

Thanks.

I still have some scalp renew left. Time to pull it back out.

luckiestdestiny,

A little off topic, but who does your weaves in NYC? Where do you get your hair?
It's okay to PM me.

Thanks.
She works in harlem but makes house calls (I am in the west village)...for an extra $20. Which is fine with me. All together with tip I pay $120 but that's because I was there before her fee change it's now $130 including the $20 for house calls. So you can pay $110 if you go directly to her (and maybe less depending on hair length...mine has just gotten long and it takes longer for her to make it look natural as she has to make super thin braids lol, and it's more to braid).

Oh, and that doesn't include the hair but there are a couple places that do a perfect match that I know of if you don't have a place. I just had to get a custom because I wanted it to be a little longer than my hair and that measured in at 22 inches according to the hair shop that measured my own natural hair for the custom so I needed the hair to be 24" or more. I like to visual my next "step". They are good at matching exactly what you want. for now I'll give you the stylist but let me know if you need anyone else.

I will pm you her name and cell because that's her private cell number. You can tell her I recommended you.

Also you're in NY now. We so have to meet! I will be back in January (I'm leaving this week) but maybe we can do lunch (do lunch:lol:). Pm me the deets if you want. I remember your pm saying you might be in the area and we could possibly meet some months ago.

Take care!

Last edited:
Okay yodie. Info is in your inbox including pics. Don't laugh at me it was almost 1 a.m and I'm sleepy :) Hope they help. Also I gave her cell and answered your inbox questions.

a review from amazon:Hey everyone, I am a hair stylist and I just wanted to make sure everyone knows that this is actually part one of a two step in-salon treatment. The dermabrasion treatment (this product) is to prepare the scalp for the serum that goes on after. I'm not sure what doing this step by itself will do, or if it is a good idea to try it by itself either. It is also definitely a diverted product intended for use in the salon by professionals only! There is a DVD that comes with the set.

R u talking about the serum for thinning hair? Cause the product says shampoo as usual. As I don't have dense hair I opted out of the serum. Please let me know if it is or a different serum.

I copied and pasted this from an amazon review. I am not a stylist so sorry for the confusion. I did however check the nioxin site and this product seems to be in a kit with a serum, not sure which one. I have a nioxin salon right next block from my job I will stop there and inquire lol.

Yes because they sold it to me separately and the video just said follow up w your favorite nioxin product.so to me I assume they are just including one of their serums for good measure. But my hair is still doing well and as I mentioned prior no new shedding after. It is now in a protective style and there.is no scalp discomfort whatsoever. I think stylist just wants to scare some people into going to them for the treatment.

When I first saw this, I thought it was only $10.00 now it's $19.00 on Amazon did anyone else order it for $10.00?

jancan7 said:
When I first saw this, I thought it was only $10.00 now it's $19.00 on Amazon did anyone else order it for $10.00?

I bought it for 10. There was one for $8 before, I missed it.

I think these are unusually low prices though.

Just wanted to add on my review. I tried this treatment based on this thread - I applied it last Fri 12/14 ... Bought off ebay (at the time it was $6 per bottle). I am pretty impressed.

Now I will say that I tried Wen 613 right after. So I'll admit my hair felt different. But my scalp (I think) was mostly affected by the Nioxin treatment. My hair seemed much thicker in the crown area where it had been getting very sparse before. :sad: It's still the same, but the appearance is better - perhaps because (as the treatment states) it gives you a cleaner scalp which allows the hair follicles to breath/stand up/dance proudly :spinning: or what have you. Either way I like it. :yep:

I have been experiencing thinning in my crown (I'm 47 YO and fully menopausal) and I suspect its hormones (never gave birth to kids myself so I feel like that's what's really messed up my hormones) and I was pleasantly surprised that my scalp area seemed fuller after the treatment. I can imagine it could have been helpful because maybe I had some clogged scalp pores (minimal - honestly I cleanse my scalp religiously and it's not super dirty/compacted) ... but *shrugs* either way I'll take whatever helps. :yep:

I am also drinking bamboo leaf and nettle tea and taking a ton of vitamins to help address the crown thinning problem that I think is related to age/hormones (excess DHT) that is causing my thinning in my crown. But for the moment I like what the combo of the Nioxin Scalp Renew did for the appearance of my crown area, and what Wen 613 helped with in terms of the health/fullness of the hair itself.

Either way (whether it was Nioxin or Wen 613 or a combo) - the results were impressive enough to me that I will be doing this treatment every 30 days for a while to see if it helps me permanently thicken my hair in the crown area. I just ordered a 6 pack off ebay from the same seller (for $30) so I'm set for at least the next 6+months in treatments.

The scalp exfoliation thread has detailed info on scalp exfoliation and other products as well as Nixon.

I think one review on Amazon sais that particular seller is selling bootleg nioxin. I have no idea

Subbing to read later. I think I want this product but I hear you need another scalp renew product for maintenance. I'll look it up again and post later.

Subbing to read later. I think I want this product but I hear you need another scalp renew product for maintenance. I'll look it up again and post later.
Okay yeah it's called Nioxin Scalp Renew Density Restoration. I need them both to try out. Now where do I find them is the question?

Back