Nexxus Vitatress Line for fine, fragile, or thinning hair...

Crystalicequeen123

Has anyone religiously tried this line and had good results from it?? I was wondering because I naturally have finer hair than most type 4a/b black people and I hate it! :mad: I've been trying different things in order to thicken my hair up a little bit (taking vitamins, stretching relaxers, using a mild relaxer instead of regular), but I haven't noticed too much of a change.

Granted, my hair is BETTER than it was maybe about a year ago, but I think there is room for improvement.

I was looking at this Nexxus Vitatress line specialized for fine hair and was wondering if anyone has used the thickening biotin shampoos, or the biotin cream religiously and have gotten good results from it. I'll buy the whole vitatress line if the stuff really works! I'm desperate! :lol: But I want to make sure the "thickening" shampoos and stuff aren't just designed to make your hair feel thicker. You know what I mean?? I don't want an illusion. I want to make sure the product will really stimulate or promote thicker hair growth.

No, I haven't used the line religiously.
But read on some board about the biotin creme and started using it last year on my edges and the right side of my head b/c hair was thinner.
Great results but also attracted some dandruff, so I use it less often than I should.

Looks like we have the same hair type... I just purchased the biotin creme to use on my short areas, so I don't have results to report just yet... But what I do to thicken up my hair is use products with castor oil in them... I also pre-poo and baggie with straight castor oil. I am very happy with how thick my strands are getting!

Hey Crystalice ! Another thin-haired 4a checking in. I haven't used this line but I'm wary of any product that claims to increase thickness. If your hair has low volume, meaning you don't have many hair follicles, there's nothing you can do about that because no product can give you more hair follicles.

If your individual strands are thin, the only way to make them thicker is by using protein treatments which bond to the hair.

For me, I try to do 2 things - stimulate my existing hair follicles and use protein deep conditioners.

Hope this helps!!

Crystalicequeen123 said:
Has anyone religiously tried this line and had good results from it?? I was wondering because I naturally have finer hair than most type 4a/b black people and I hate it! :mad: I've been trying different things in order to thicken my hair up a little bit (taking vitamins, stretching relaxers, using a mild relaxer instead of regular), but I haven't noticed too much of a change.

Granted, my hair is BETTER than it was maybe about a year ago, but I think there is room for improvement.

I was looking at this Nexxus Vitatress line specialized for fine hair and was wondering if anyone has used the thickening biotin shampoos, or the biotin cream religiously and have gotten good results from it. I'll buy the whole vitatress line if the stuff really works! I'm desperate! :lol: But I want to make sure the "thickening" shampoos and stuff aren't just designed to make your hair feel thicker. You know what I mean?? I don't want an illusion. I want to make sure the product will really stimulate or promote thicker hair growth.

I have the same type of hair as you and up until about a week ago I lost all hope. What I find that works for me is deep conditioners every week and a leave in conditioner too. I have been going to a dominican salon for about two weeks and found that my hair is thicker now. They are using some type of a garlic leave-in. I think its by Salerm or perhaps alter Ego. They won't let me look at it long enough to determine who it's by. LOL!

I have fine textured type 4A hair and I've found that adding castor oil to my deep conditioners has thickened up my hair a bit. I also take pantothenic acid - B5, 500 mg per day and drink 3 ounces of carrot juice per day. All of this has helped to thicken my hair.

Thanks for the input girls! :up: :up: I will definitely need to do something because I'm so sick of my fine hair! Yesterday a girlfriend of mine came over whom I havne't seen in a long time and her hair is so nice and thick and somewhat long. Her hair is thick from root to tip. I don't know what she's doing, but she did recommend me to her stylist.

I think my problem is genetic though. Some people just naturally have thicker/finer hair than others. I went to visit my grandmother's sister this past year and her hair is so fine and thin...I was thinking to myself: "OH geez...is THIS what I have to look forward to??" LOL* :lol: I just have to face the music...fine hair must run in my family on my mom's side. :ohwell:

This castor oil...where do you buy it?? Can you get it at regular beauty supply shops?

Also, this carrot juice is something I may have to try because unfortunately I've been cursed with both fine hair and a LOW density of this fine hair. I wouldn't mind my fine hair so much if I just had LOTS and LOTS of it. Catch my drift?? It seems I've been cursed on both ends. :nono:

I also wanted to add that this "fine" stranded hair of mine is also a double whammy because it seems hair stylists just do NOT know how to handle my hair in a way that I find totally acceptable. Maybe I'm just too picky or choosy, but when it comes to my fragile hair, I like it to be handled like fine silk.

Too many times I go to the salon, and they must assume that since I'm black my hair is thick and therefore able to take rough handling. Ummm... NOT!! First of all, our hair is the most fragile of the hair types (if I'm not mistaken), so I don't know why ANY stylist would feel that combing through my type 4a/b relaxed (aka even MORE fragile) hair in a harsh manner with a fine-toothed comb would at all be acceptable! :mad:

Am I the only fine-haired lady on this board who has noticed this trend of "heavy-handed" stylists in salons?? Maybe I'm going crazy, but this "trend" has made me quite weary of a lot of salons. :(

Fine Hair Lady Checking in,

When I wasnt looking after my hair and found this site nearly a year ago. I though that my fine hair was due to all the wreakless things I used to do. :naughty:

However a year on, even though I have grown SO MUCH and I have increased the fullness by over 50%. It doesnt change the fact that I have very fine hair and I still need to treat it like glass.

I am hoping that in another year that I will the other 50% fullness then I will be very pleased.

Just ordinally hair care that you learned from here will help. I have found that I must use a mild protein reconstructer every 2 weeks to keep my strands as strong as I can.

I just have to deal with it, and love my hair
SAY WITH ME :whyme: ' I HAVE THIN STRANDS' Not thin hair

Not with relaxing but braiders who tend to be very heavy-handed. I've had a lot of breakage with braiding - that's both with my own hair and with the extensions. In both cases I had cornrows done, thinking that would strain my hair less. Right!
I understand your frustration - I'm also a low-volume, thin-haired (and slow growing!! :( ) hair gal. I've accepted that my hair is not going to look like some others but it can be the best and longest it has ever been for me! :grin:

Crystalicequeen123 said:
I also wanted to add that this "fine" stranded hair of mine is also a double whammy because it seems hair stylists just do NOT know how to handle my hair in a way that I find totally acceptable. Maybe I'm just too picky or choosy, but when it comes to my fragile hair, I like it to be handled like fine silk.

Too many times I go to the salon, and they must assume that since I'm black my hair is thick and therefore able to take rough handling. Ummm... NOT!! First of all, our hair is the most fragile of the hair types (if I'm not mistaken), so I don't know why ANY stylist would feel that combing through my type 4a/b relaxed (aka even MORE fragile) hair in a harsh manner with a fine-toothed comb would at all be acceptable! :mad:

Am I the only fine-haired lady on this board who has noticed this trend of "heavy-handed" stylists in salons?? Maybe I'm going crazy, but this "trend" has made me quite weary of a lot of salons. :(

BTW I just checked your album and your hair is not thin at all!!! It looks like you have average volume, not low-volume hair. And your relaxed hair looks very full to me. Keep it up!! ;)

harigeek said:
BTW I just checked your album and your hair is not thin at all!!! It looks like you have average volume, not low-volume hair. And your relaxed hair looks very full to me. Keep it up!! ;)

Yeah, I agree... Your hair looks similar to mine when I curl it, and it simply looks like you have lots of shorter strands that just need to "catch up" to the length of your hair... If you keep up your regimen and incorporate castor oil, you WILL see progress. I have had a lot of progress since my album pics just 2 months ago!

Oh, you can find castor oil at any drugstore... but for the large bottle (16 oz) you will have to go to a health food store.

Last edited:
Yeah ITA that regular deep conditioners aid in thicker hair, and at the Dominican Salon my family attends here, she told my cousin her hair was to thin on one side and that she needs Deep Conditioner everytime to thicken it up, and my hair has gotten much fuller and thicken since wash and DC twice a week.
lovemyhair said:
I have the same type of hair as you and up until about a week ago I lost all hope. What I find that works for me is deep conditioners every week and a leave in conditioner too. I have been going to a dominican salon for about two weeks and found that my hair is thicker now. They are using some type of a garlic leave-in. I think its by Salerm or perhaps alter Ego. They won't let me look at it long enough to determine who it's by. LOL!

I use the cysteine treatment. If i had to choose any other product to live by, this would be it. I buy atleast 4 bottles a month. This has been the best product for my hair. it keeps it very strong.

NoNapNique said:
Yeah, I agree... Your hair looks similar to mine when I curl it, and it simply looks like you have lots of shorter strands that just need to "catch up" to the length of your hair... If you keep up your regimen and incorporate castor oil, you WILL see progress. I have had a lot of progress since my album pics just 2 months ago!

Oh, you can find castor oil at any drugstore... but for the large bottle (16 oz) you will have to go to a health food store.

Thanks for the compliment Harigeek and NoNapNique! That makes me feel a lot better. But I think those pictures in my album are just an illusion! lol* The middle of my hair is okay, but my sides and back of my hair are quite fine and thin. :( I had my stylist cut my hair in layers about 2 years ago to give the illusion of fuller, thicker hair, so maybe that's what you're seeing. But honestly, now I just want my hair all about the same length.

ms jadu said:
I use the cysteine treatment. If i had to choose any other product to live by, this would be it. I buy atleast 4 bottles a month. This has been the best product for my hair. it keeps it very strong.

OOOoooo...the cysteine treatment is good huh?? Okay...well please ELABORATE! WHat differences did you see in your hair? How often and how long did you use this treatment? Do tell! :D

I have fine strands and there are several things I do to pump up the volume. I can't make my hair less fine (grandma gave me those genes), but I can make it look more full. My trick is a good semi-permanent hair color. It's like a weave for the individual strands. My favorite is Colourshines. It really makes a noticeable difference without damaging my hair because it just coats the strands making them temporarily less fine.

I use the cysteine once a week in my hair. I just comb it through damp hair and let it sit with no heat for about 30 min. Then I wash my hair. it is very similar to emergence, but with more moisturizing agents. Anyhow, this has been making my hair strong. I see a differnce with my ends the most. My curl is more defined and my hair strand is not as rough. The rest of the line did nothing. from nexxus, the cysteine, emergencee, and the organice enphuse condition and ensure are the only products that I think are beneficial. There is no substitute for these items in my opinion.

Love Nexxus Vitatress Biotin Shampoo - I got strength from this one - Staple
Love Nexxus Vitatress Biotin Creme - Slow--but does the job ! - Staple

yep i have used the biotin shampoo, volumizing conditioner, cysteine treatment and the biotin creme and there has been a significant improvement in the thickness of my hair and my hair line... the pictures are in my album...

monister

Back