Newbie with progress pics!

genesislocks

Hi everyone! I've been coming to LHCF for quite some time now, I'm not too sure but I'm guessing about a year. I considered myself a "long-term lurker".

Heres a little bit about me:

Stats:
Currently APL diligently seeking BSL and beyond
Hair type: Soft semi-dense/semi-thick. 4a at the crown, 4b and the nape
Goal Length: Super MBL
Lapsed time since HJ: 1 year 3mos

-I love hair care, to the point of borderline obsession :look:

-I LOVE henna, but recently switched over to Cassia because for the first time in my life I got highlights [healthy hair buffs, feel free to scold] :rolleyes:
But I had to have a change in my life.

-My little secret? I secretly prefer cassia! The conditioning effects I get from it, plus hello hydration, plus brahmi is undeniable. But i still miss henna :sad:

-The beginning of my hair journey was actually more of a "spiritual thing". Once upon a time I would never ever, ever, ever, ever...cut my hair. Partly because I didn't trust scissor-happy stylists, and partly because I feared it wouldn't grow back. One day I realized that my disbelief that my hair wouldnt "grow after a haircut" was not only ridiculous, but also a manifestation of my lack of faith in the Almighty. So, needless to say, something had to change

-I'm a deep thinker lol

-I travel with scissors in my car to snip pesky split ends at the stop light :lol:

-I LOVE my hair stylists, although I only go to her every once in a blue moon. I probably wont be back until August for a length check

-I cut my hair suuuuper low to a ear-length 90's semi-mushroom cut. I loved it while it lasted lol

-I'm a year & 3 mos post that haircut (which I refuse to call a big-chop btw) I'm not sure why

-In the process of changing the way I take care of my hair. I didn't ADD too many things to my hair diet, but I definitely cut some key things off including the following:

NO Mineral oil, ever. It clogs my follicles man, I can't have that

NO Cheap flatiron. It its not the bently, ferrari, or maserati of flatirons.no deal. Sedu Revolution is my fave.

NO Wash & Go's. Why? because I'm scared :badidea: I'm not very familiar with my hair in its curly state, and I'd like to keep my distance for now

NO shampoo. I occasionally use Dr. Bronners soaps bcus they're non-stripping, but other than that I let brahmi and cassia do their thing. Also, the exception is when I go to the salon

NOT MUCH protective styling. :imo: I know this is controversial hair wise, but I really like to enjoy my hair whenever I feel like it. I don't care to do a variety of styles really. Its either up or its down and I wear it however the wind moves me.

So what do I DO?

DO Cassia/henna/brahmi anything and everything ayurvedic. These literally transformed my hair

I DO use natural/organic products, but I refuse to give up my hello hydration conditioner. Thats where I draw the line :lala:

I DO limit my heat usage to my wash days every couple weeks (sometimes 3)

I DO use argan oil, in fact, I'm hooked. I don't anything to feel greasy and

I feel like argan oil gives me the benefits I need, minus the craziness

I DO use cassia, brahmi, ginger tea mix every time I wash my hair. It was a good strategy turned into somewhat of a habit

Things that I speculate about:

Will daily bobby pin usage affect my hair? I use them every night but I'm curious to know if there is any potential for hair bending

How do I get rid of split ends?...forever

Should I use protein?? Bcus my hair hates it (I think) :confused: but I'm worried that it may be overloaded with moisture if there even is such a thing

Ok, so I went a little wild with this post :spinning: But I figured I owe you ladies a thorough introduction. :yep:

I attached the 1 year comparison picture. I'll attach updates this august when I hit a year and 6mos!

:yawn:

Attachments

• march 2011 - march 2012.jpg
    march 2011 - march 2012.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 537
-I travel with scissors in my car to snip pesky split ends at the stop light :lol:

I DO use natural/organic products, but I refuse to give up my hello hydration conditioner. Thats where I draw the line :lala:

:lachen: @ the above. you're hilarious

have you been using hello hydration for a long time? i tried it for the first time this weekend and i'm not really sure how i feel. it made my hair soft but it also felt a little coated (then again, maybe that has something to do with the fact that i used the entire bottle in one go :lol:).

also, how do you wash your hair with ayurvedic powders? i'd be interested in possibly trying that out at some point :yep:

:lachen: @ the above. you're hilarious

have you been using hello hydration for a long time? i tried it for the first time this weekend and i'm not really sure how i feel. it made my hair soft but it also felt a little coated (then again, maybe that has something to do with the fact that i used the entire bottle in one go :lol:).

also, how do you wash your hair with ayurvedic powders? i'd be interested in possibly trying that out at some point :yep:

[I really hope I'm doing this right, I've never quoted a post before] :ohsnap:

Thanks ladies!!!!!<3 you're too kind

Lol Kinda! I've been using the blue magic for a few months now, but the catch is that I literally only use it when I make "the blend".

The secret ingredients are:

2/3 Cassia
1/3 Brahmi
Brewed ginger tea (How do I know it works better than other teas? I dunno, I just feel it ya know?) - you'll need enough tea to make the right consistency
Hello Hydration, until your paste resembles thick tomato soup

I add this in sections to my dry hair right before bed, then I rinse it out in the morning. I only put it on dry hair because its faster and IMO the hair absorbs the benefits more readily because its not already saturated with water

If you're looking to clarify your hair, I'd suggest a shikakai powder and amla blend instead, because it's a natural cleansing lather. If you want just pure conditioning I'd just use the mixture above and use dr. bronners soap to get rid of any leftovers :yep:

Anything and everything I do, has to be fast and easy :yep: I have very little tolerance for hair-doing so I gotta make it snappy or I'm bound to run into Mayhem, that guy in the allstate commercials :campfire:

Your hair is sooo nice and shiny. I've been contemplating doing henna or henna glosses but I'm scared. You're making me want to try.

Welcome and thanks for the recipe! I love henna so I might try the recipe with henna, brahmi, tea and a conditioner. HH doesn't work for me. Your hair is beautiful. You have done a great job on your hj!

wow.. great progress!! It seems you already have a solid regimen and know what you're doing. I don't believe in protective styling either-- at least I don't choose style just because they protect my ends. I like to enjoy my hair.

WOW!!! Your hair is amazing. I love the highlights and the shine, too. Post more often, ok? *gives a stern face*

Beautiful hair and great job on the growth! You obviously have a regimen that works for you.

What is your process when you flat iron it and what products do you use?

Im transitioning so one of these days way down the road when Im natural Im gonna need to know how to do such an amazing flat iron job for special occasions! :)

Beautiful hair and great progress!! I just knew I was looking at a relaxed head; you did a fantastic job flat ironing your hair. I plan to do a cassia application in a few weeks and because I have a few gray hairs, I read the cassia will turn my grays a wheat color. Natural highlights!!

Beautiful hair and great job on the growth! You obviously have a regimen that works for you.

What is your process when you flat iron it and what products do you use?

Im transitioning so one of these days way down the road when Im natural Im gonna need to know how to do such an amazing flat iron job for special occasions! :)

I can't take the credit for the flat ironing, that's all salon work :) but I can get pretty darn close!

What I usually do is:

1) after rinsing the cassia treatment from my hair, I part my hair into 4s and part those 4s into 3s

2) I take each section and comb carefully with a wide tooth comb, until the comb goes through easily, then I apply an argan oil/chi silk infusion blend for heat protection

3) Then I blowdry with a paddle brush or a round brush, one section at a time

It takes longer than I like, but I can guarantee that if you blowdry your hair like a boss and make sure there aren't any snags or tangles, then you can flat iron at any heat to get it straight (I find lower to be better, I tend to stay at about 300-300 degrees). If you use a great flat iron, it will last forever :look:

Btw Congrats on your natural hair journey!! You'll love your hair

Back