Newbie with a protein question

mkd

I am looking for a reviews on AO GPB v Aphogee 2 minute condish. Has anyone tried both? If not, can you tell me what you like about the one that you use please?

Welcome aboard!!!:yep:

As for your protein question, I've never tried AO GPB. As for Aphogee 2-min, I tried it for the first time about I week ago. I left it on for exactly 2 minutes and I put on the KBB hair mask afterwards. When I rinsed everything out, my hair was hard. The shikakai, yucca, amla, and/or natural enzymes in the mask may have contributed to the hardness, but I have a feeling the Aphogee was the culprit.

However, both AO GPB & Aphogee 2-min are favorites on the board, so you'll have more reviews shortly. Good luck w/ whatever you decide.

I have not tried AO GPB (actually I don't know what that is :look: ), but I have used Aphogee 2 Minute Reconstructor continuously for a long time. I love it! My hair loathes hard protein. I makes my hair hard and dry. But the Aphogee doesn't! It leaves my hair soft and manageable. I mix olive oil with it sometimes, and I always sit under the dryer with it for 20 minutes - even though it says 2. I am out of it right now. Gotta get some ;)

By the way, WELCOME!!! :weird:

I have both but haven't tried the AO GPB yet. But I LOVE the 2 min aphogee! My hair also loves protein and I use it all the time, but the 2 min is great because it provides a nice protein boost and also leaves my hair soft and manageable. There have been times when I haven't even followed with a moisturizing conditioner because the aphogee did the trick. I also use it for more than 2 minutes (30 is the most I've used it for). I use it every week.

First of all :welcome:

I've tried both when I was relaxed, have both and love both. If I'm not mistaken, GPB is all natural whereas Aphogee 2 min. is not. They're both considered mild proteins though. The fact that GPB is all natural and that it can be applied to dry hair for a deep conditioning treatment before washing would be the only difference. My results were basically the same but for the GPB reasons, I guess I favored GPB more. I'm transitioning now and would probably reach for GPB as a natural for a protein boost, before I'd reach for the Aphogee. Sorry if it doesn't help your decision much.

Last edited:
Okay.. at the risk of sounding like a nut... could someone please tell me what AO GPB is?! I know its not Good Peanut Butter :lick:

Thanks for all the responses ladies and the welcome.

Another question, if I add an egg and olive oil to a conditioner, would that be considered a light protein treatment?

I was always told that the protein molecules in (un-hydrolyzed) eggs were too large to actually penetrate the hair shaft. However, many ladies have said it works for them. *shrugs* I do know that olive oil does not have an protein traits.

Welcome to the forum. Of those two, I've only used the AO GPB. I've been using it since 2000, and it's my all time favorite product. It's a great (mild) conditioner.

In my PJ days I tried Aphogee 2 min and did not like how it made my hair feel... then I found AO GPB and fell in love! It's a staple of mine and I DC every week with it. Goes to show you every head is different and it's basically a trial and error process until you find what works for you.

I have tried both and prefer Aphogee 2 min. I am a protien addict and find usage on a weekly basis is the best choice for my hair. I am in the process of trying to find a hard protien I can use in braids. I use the Aphogee 2 step hardcore protien but it would not work for braids. I need something creamy to soak in.

Hi Newbie =)

Apoghee is my staple protein next to ORS Mayo. I love this stuff and leave it on for 2 min. rinse it out of my hair then I use a cheapie condish to make my hair soft. I use Apoghee every 6 or 8 weeks. It helps me so much with my shedding.

Hi newbie here,
I have been taking care of my hair since November of last year. I like the Aphogee line, but I found that if I use it too much my hair gets really hard and dry.

Back