Newbie Transitioner Needs Transitioner Hair Buddy!

CocoaCure

I need a Transitioning Hair Buddy. I have 3C/4A/4B hair that's mainly 4A, really thick, yet soft and responds really well to water, humidity. (I used to live in Houston for years and when I was natural my hair was just so soft all the time in that awful Humidity!) LOL!

Length - I'm about 2 1/2 inches below shoulder length - this is why I'm not doing the Big Chop! I did that last time I went natural so this time I want to KEEP MY LENGTH and transition slowly. I have excellent experiences with Cathy Howse' UBH Conditioner and Moisturizer. My hair also responds well to Pantene R&N, and basically anything that's super moisturizing.

Right now I'm just doing my regular maintenance and just chopped off and inch so my ends are good and it's healthy overall. I'm doing twist outs to help keep the two textures from fighting and being so different and I re-twist it every night in two large pretty side twists and pin with a simple hair pin. I only comb when I've got something on it - spray leave in, Sta-Sof-Fro, S-Curl, moisturizer etc. and I always use a wide tooth comb.

So if you're a transitioner who has been transitioning for a while and your hair sounds somewhat similar to mine and you're willing to hold the hand of a newbie transitioner, please write here and PM me and let me know how you made it through when things got tough and you felt relaxing would just be so much easier! I promise not to annoy you with questions too much! :-)

Hi CocoaCure,
Feel free to PM me at any time!
I've been transitioning for over a year now. I sure haven't done it perfectly, but I can see the progress. I know at the end of the year how much healthier and thicker my hair will be just be seeing the comparison now.

And I have learned that natural hair is not much harder to manage than relaxed hair. Just, if your hair is out of braids, keep up for sure with the deep conditioning/hot oiling once a week, the leave-in conditioner, and the gentleness.

Chimma, OH MY GOSH! Your hair sounds just like mine! On the top and very front my newgrowth hair is clearly 3C. It grows in in a big wave pattern. The back is in between 3C and 4A like 3D if there was such a thing. On the sides is the part that is smaller coils and because it's coilier there I call coily 4B. then the rest of it is smaller curls that I think is 4A. Your hair sounds so combination like mine! So you're a year into it - Congratulations! How much newgrowth do you have? What is your current length? How often do you trim the relaxed ends off? Do you think you will texturize later??? Sorry so many questions. :-) Thanks for helping!

Back