Newbie- Introducing myself and question

lexiwiththecurls

I am a newbie to this forum. I wanted to say Hello to everyone. I have actually been a lurker off and on for years and recently decided to join. I actually put my friend on to this website when I didnt frequent it that much. She became obsessed and would call me everyday with new tips and tricks she learned on this site. I decided to one day go through alot of the post and I really enjoyed it and learned alot. I plan to learn through this site and get to MBL in its straightened state and BSL in its natural state. Thanks for all the help.
A little about my hair- I have been natural for 7 years. I used to straighten ALOT..like the majority of the year. I haven't gotten my hair straightened since Dec 08 which is a looonnggg time for me. I get my hair colored from time to time. I'm trying to get into the no-poo thing but it's hard. I'm still learning about my hair.

Also, I had a question. I live in GA and its super hot. I want to change up my look for a little bit. I would like to have my hair similar to Tracee Ellis Ross'. I like her bigger curls because even if I sweat or if it gets frizzy, it won't start looking bad. The issue is, if I straighten my hair and then curl it-it will be too bone straight- plus I will sweat it out....and if I rollerset it (unless I find someone who can put my thick curly/kinky hair on a roller and make it smooth) then it will be too kinky. I was wondering, do you all think this would work if I blowdried/airdried my hair and then manual curled it with a curling iron? I still want the big hair effect. Here are examples of what I am looking for..
tracee-ellis-ross.jpg

77094.jpg

tracee-ellis-ross3.0.0.0x0.391x600.jpeg

I realize these three pics have different curl diameters. Just wanted to show that I want big hair still, but something that lasts a few days and I can put rollers in it at night or pin curl it and it still look decent.

here is my hair:
lexi-vi.jpg

TIA

I just wanted to say WELCOME and that I love your youtube videos!! Hopefully someone will be in here to help you!!

:welcome3:

I don't have any advice to offer just wanted to say that your hair is very beautiful.:yep:

Such lovely hair! Welcome to the board!

Have you tried using Chi Silk Infusion and then pin curling your hair?

:welcome: Have you tried flexi rods? I think those may work for you on wet hair. I've never used a curling iron like that, so I have no idea if that would work :sorry:

Welcome to the Board! At first I thought to myself, "She's not a newbie... I've seen her before." Then I remembered that it's your you tube vids I watch a lot! Love 'em.

Glad you joined!

welcome! lovely hair. id flatiron it on a lower heat temp so that you get out the "kinks" but it wont be silky straight, you can then even use the flatiron to create those curls. or pin, rollers or use rods. :)

Last edited:
:welcome3:

I did a spiral set on dry hair with a curling iron, these were the results, I want to try it again soon and seperate them out and see what I get

Photo2153-vi.jpg

Have you tried using Chi Silk Infusion and then pin curling your hair?
I have used Chi Silk Infusion but I havent tried just pin curling my hair from its natural state or blowdried/airdried. I will try this.

Irresistible- That looks very pretty. Great results.

Kooskoos-I have some flexirods. Ive only tried it on straightened hair. I will try it on wet hair and try to smooth my hair around the rod.

Silvergirl- Thats a good idea to straighten it on a lower temperature. I can run it through once so then when I put flexirods on or pincurl it, it will still be big.
Thanks for all the ideas. I will try them all to see what works well with my hair texture.

And thanks to all who Welcomed me to LHCF and for the nice comments :-)

Thanks LovingMe87 and pmichael52172 for checking out my vids.

Hey! I am one of your youtube fans and I've seen you on NC.com alot. Welcome!

I think you could definitely get this look - I used to wear my hair like Tracey by mistake... I wanted less poof but when I rollerset my hair, this is the look I always ended up with. I'd use medium sized rollers under the hood dryer. And I would fluff it out with one of those brush curling irons.

Welcome!

I think another good option is to flat iron on a low temp and then bantu knot your hair, let it set, and then take it out.

I am a newbie to this forum. I wanted to say Hello to everyone. I have actually been a lurker off and on for years and recently decided to join. I actually put my friend on to this website when I didnt frequent it that much. She became obsessed and would call me everyday with new tips and tricks she learned on this site. I decided to one day go through alot of the post and I really enjoyed it and learned alot. I plan to learn through this site and get to MBL in its straightened state and BSL in its natural state. Thanks for all the help.
A little about my hair- I have been natural for 7 years. I used to straighten ALOT..like the majority of the year. I haven't gotten my hair straightened since Dec 08 which is a looonnggg time for me. I get my hair colored from time to time. I'm trying to get into the no-poo thing but it's hard. I'm still learning about my hair.

Also, I had a question. I live in GA and its super hot. I want to change up my look for a little bit. I would like to have my hair similar to Tracee Ellis Ross'. I like her bigger curls because even if I sweat or if it gets frizzy, it won't start looking bad. The issue is, if I straighten my hair and then curl it-it will be too bone straight- plus I will sweat it out....and if I rollerset it (unless I find someone who can put my thick curly/kinky hair on a roller and make it smooth) then it will be too kinky. I was wondering, do you all think this would work if I blowdried/airdried my hair and then manual curled it with a curling iron? I still want the big hair effect. Here are examples of what I am looking for..
tracee-ellis-ross.jpg

77094.jpg

tracee-ellis-ross3.0.0.0x0.391x600.jpeg

I realize these three pics have different curl diameters. Just wanted to show that I want big hair still, but something that lasts a few days and I can put rollers in it at night or pin curl it and it still look decent.

here is my hair:
lexi-vi.jpg

TIA
Wow you have amazing hair!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :grin:

Welcome

Back