Newbie. Help!

amiradavis

Hi. My name is Amira and I've been an occassional lurker for the past year. I'm 33 years old and live in an area where there isn't such a great variety of hair care products. I'm enclosing a picture of my self that's not too great but it at least gives you a little picture of what my hair looks like.

I'm not sure how to "type" my hair yet but it's relaxed, down to the middle of my neck and VERY thick. I don't wrap my hair and I guess the only thing I do is sleep with a silk pillow case. I've also never colored my hair before either. From what I've read, it looks I'm doing everything wrong. :(I wash my hair once a week and just use regular Sally Hansen conditioner or something along those lines)

I don't think I'm ready to get rid of a relaxer but I would love to have my hair a little longer, preferably the middle of my shoulder blades. I've heard great things about REDKEN hair products but I'm not sure what order to use things or exactly what to use.

I know it probably sounds like I need a lot of help but I'm just not sure where to start. If someone were willing to point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Even though I can't see the pics...I wanted to Welcome you to the board. There is a wealth of information here so I'm pretty sure that you'll be on the road to healthy hair in no time.

amiradavis said:
Hi. My name is Amira and I've been an occassional lurker for the past year. I'm 33 years old and live in an area where there isn't such a great variety of hair care products. I'm enclosing a picture of my self that's not too great but it at least gives you a little picture of what my hair looks like.

I'm not sure how to "type" my hair yet but it's relaxed, down to the middle of my neck and VERY thick. I don't wrap my hair and I guess the only thing I do is sleep with a silk pillow case. I've also never colored my hair before either. From what I've read, it looks I'm doing everything wrong. :(I wash my hair once a week and just use regular Sally Hansen conditioner or something along those lines)

I don't think I'm ready to get rid of a relaxer but I would love to have my hair a little longer, preferably the middle of my shoulder blades. I've heard great things about REDKEN hair products but I'm not sure what order to use things or exactly what to use.

I know it probably sounds like I need a lot of help but I'm just not sure where to start. If someone were willing to point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!
Hey! Welcome! :) I don't wrap my hair either and I sleep on a satin pillowcase (which I love). To me, it doesn't seem like you are doing anything wrong. If washing your hair once a week and using that type of conditioner works for you, then I'd stick to it. However, if you feel your hair is lacking something (moisture, protein, etc. etc.), you can always change your regimen.

Folica.com has a good amount of Redken products if you're looking to purchase those but can't get to an area that has what you're looking for. There are also good reviews, product descriptions, instructions for use, as well as product ingredients on folica.com.

http://search.folica.com/search?p=Q&ts=custom&isort=score&w=redken&x=0&y=0

Last edited:
Welcome aboard. Try the stickies that sayes welcome newbies. It has a lot of good tips in there.

Welcome Amira. I agree, check out the Welcome Newbies "sticker". That helped me get started.

You'll be on your way quickly.

hi! i don't think you are doing things wrong either - you just need a little 'tweaking':) and we all do! sleeping on a satin pillowcase will definitely help you with retaining more moisture at night. also - one of the most important things you can do (besides avoiding excess heat) is investing in good products. check around the board for loads of ideas.

Welcome Amira! You will love it here and gain invaluable information on taking care of your hair and achieving your goals... I would say ditto on the suggestions to check out the newbie thread. It's where I started when I was a lurker and so by the time I joined, I had most of my hair regime beginning. Two months later, I would say that I'm pretty much where I need to be for now.. Good luck and HHG!:)

Hi Amira :wave:
I just wanted to welcome you to the board. I was a lurker for years and this site has helped me alot, as previous posters suggested, check out the Welcome Newbies section. I live in a very large city and have problems finding some products I need as well, so ordering off the internet is a great alternative.

Back