Newbie....first steam D/C. Must have done something wrong.

hj3046

After stalking these threads for almost 2 years I decided to take my hair journey seriously rather than trying something here and there. However, I have been spending too much cash on my new obsession. :ohwell: My most recent purchase was a steamer and it FINALLY arrived yesterday. I couldn't wait to steam. I chelated and clarified my hair. I d/c'd with ORS replenishing pak with a little olive oil added. I steamed for 30 mins, then rinsed in cool water. I decided to blow dry (since I am stretching) I have to straighten the new growth out or I won't be able to do anything with it. I didn't get the "moist" look that I was hoping for. I didn't want to add any more heat but I had an early morning appointment come up at the last min to I used my vapor iron to flatten, but without the vaporfuel just to see what the results would look like. It looked a little more "moist" but still not what my hair needs, so I guess I just need to try to some different d/c's??? My hair type is 4b and very, dry. I swear I could get an award for the world's dryest hair. Plus my hair is a natural chestnut brown (I think) when the sun gets to it. It's a little darker brown in the winter. I will continue to steam because my hair and new growth were soo soft.

After stalking these threads for almost 2 years I decided to take my hair journey seriously rather than trying something here and there. However, I have been spending too much cash on my new obsession. :ohwell: My most recent purchase was a steamer and it FINALLY arrived yesterday. I couldn't wait to steam. I chelated and clarified my hair. I d/c'd with ORS replenishing pak with a little olive oil added. I steamed for 30 mins, then rinsed in cool water. I decided to blow dry (since I am stretching) I have to straighten the new growth out or I won't be able to do anything with it. I didn't get the "moist" look that I was hoping for. I didn't want to add any more heat but I had an early morning appointment come up at the last min to I used my vapor iron to flatten, but without the vaporfuel just to see what the results would look like. It looked a little more "moist" but still not what my hair needs, so I guess I just need to try to some different d/c's??? My hair type is 4b and very, dry. I swear I could get an award for the world's dryest hair. Plus my hair is a natural chestnut brown (I think) when the sun gets to it. It's a little darker brown in the winter. I will continue to steam because my hair and new growth were soo soft.

So here are my suggestions:

- you clarified which strips your hair...if my memory serves me right ORS has protein... so you may want to try a con that is strickly moisturizing to give your hair desired "softness". after I clarify or do a hard protein.. it usually take 2 weeks to get my softness back. And that is with using only moisturizing conditioners.

- with the blow drying, you may want to let your hair air dry 80% -90% first and THEN lightly blowdry using mainly a cool setting. But seriously... until you get ur moisture in check you may want to skip this. since you are relaxed you should be able to manage...look up some of sylver2 threads... I am natural and use her methods of "tamming new growth" on my entire head. She is really on to something!

-I dont know what leave in you use but a lot of relaxed heads are benefiting from using oil with ceramides... you may want to try that

Also, dont get discouraged.... it takes time to learn your hair needs and get your moisture game on point.

Keep at it your on the right path.

hopefully some more relaxed heads will chime in and give you solid advice and direction

^^^ITA with what she said.

My hair would be FAR from moist even with a steam d/c if I clarified and chelated and blew it dry and flat ironed in one session.

Thanks ladies. I still have sooooooo much to learn. I will try to find suggestions for oils with ceramides. I'm so impatient, this journey is going to be hard for me.

Back