Nervous about going without a weave...

LawyerBarbie07

Ok guys,

So my hair has grown TREMENDOUSLY by using Renieces weave method. I'm knocking on BSL as we speak. However, I'm sick of weaves and I am hoping to give my hair a rest from the weaves for a while but I'm VERY nervous about it.

I'm maintaining tons of length with my protective style and I don't want to go backwards...my goal was only to wear the weave until the left side of my hair got even to the right, I'm getting there so I don't want to slow down my battle.

Have any of you who wear protective styles seen slower growth when take them out?

Should I give the weaves a rest or stick with whats working?

Thanks in advance!

I think that you should do what you feel. I wear a weave from time to time and the growth rate of my hair is the same. I think low manipulation is the key. I know that when my hair is down I tend to get hand in hair syndrome. Sorry not much help:ohwell:

I am in the exact same boat!

I do weaves 99% of the time, and my hair is also not far from BSL. But then, about a month and a half ago I got tired of wearing them and wore my own hair out.

It felt soooooooo good!!! I got tons of compliments and people thought I was still wearing the weave :lol:

But then I noticed that I have hand in hair sydrome SERIOUSLY, and I was way too paranoid about whether I was damaging my hair by combing it too much! So I've put it back in the weave as that way I have no worries about styling and damage resulting from it.

I know what you mean, LawyerBarbie. I don't want to hinder the progress I've gotten so far from wearing weaves.

What I've learned is that:

it's all about learning and knowing how to care for the hair to the extent that the results you got from wearing the weave will be the same as when you don't wear the weave.

The retention of growth you get is due to the fact that the hair is under NO manipulation for weeks at a time so it flourishes- therefore when wearing the hair out, try to do low manipulation styles.

Do NOT over condition the hair just because you're over the moon that the hair has grown so well and you just can't stop playing with all this new hair (trust me!)

Try to comb as infrequently as possible.

Wearing your hair out is necessary, (for you won't be wearing weaves forever) therefore will need to know what your hair likes/doesn't like; as the hair grows longer it will need even better care.

HTH x

Last edited:
LawyerBarbie07 said:
Ok guys,

So my hair has grown TREMENDOUSLY by using Renieces weave method. I'm knocking on BSL as we speak. However, I'm sick of weaves and I am hoping to give my hair a rest from the weaves for a while but I'm VERY nervous about it.

I'm maintaining tons of length with my protective style and I don't want to go backwards...my goal was only to wear the weave until the left side of my hair got even to the right, I'm getting there so I don't want to slow down my battle.

Have any of you who wear protective styles seen slower growth when take them out?

Should I give the weaves a rest or stick with whats working?

Thanks in advance!

I know what you mean, I don't have as much hair (I'm trying to get to shoulder length) but I want to hold on to the length that I've already gotten. So far my protective style has been braids/plaitts under wigs or pretty head scarves that I wear outside.
I know of some women who manage to wear their long hair down a lot compared to others. Some bun half the weak and wear it down the other half. Some wear it down almost all week but when they get home at night, they moisturize/oil their ends and wear silk or satin to sleep. I think you should try those methods or you could wear your hair down but at night put your hair in a bun with a baggie over it then add your silk/satin scarf or bonnet and go to sleep. :)

Ladies thank you so much! I'm glad I'm not the only one...lol. I was getting mad at myself! I am going to try it for a few weeks, my hair really needs to breathe but just like SummaBliss said I have hand in hair syndrome. I cant stop picking with it and analyzing each and every strand and freaking out if I see ONE short hair...lol.

Christa I love the idea of just doing braids under a wig. Maybe I'll try that... hopefully if I can keep my hair up and away it'll help.

This is so much more complicated than my weave! :eek: :lol:

Thanks for your help so far!:p

Back