Need opinion on blowdrying roots

EmeraldSky

I know you guys are the best people to ask so heres goes, it's been about 6 weeks since my last touchup and I have about half an inch of kinky new growth, this weekend I went to a dominican salon and got a wash+set, afterwards I had them blowdry only my roots straight. I was wondering if anyone on the board consistently has their new growth blown straight after a rollerset? I'm may start having this done on weekends once theres half an inch or more of new growth which is usually 6 weeks into my relaxer, under that amount I can handle but unless I'm doing a twist-out or protective style my hair either breaks or looks extremely puffy at the roots plus it helps me stretch out my relaxer time. I'd like to know if anyone has had any bad experiences from doing this and does this sound like it's too much heat? If this sounds
nuts.gif
feel free to tell me, I don't want to loose the length I've gained. Thanks in advance
smile.gif

If you're only blowing out the roots, it probably wouldn't be so bad, but instead of doing this every week, you could try alternating with braid outs or other styles. Try finding ways to do your hair without heat.

When I get to the point that I need a relaxer bad and I'm trying to stretch it out, I usually just wear my hair in a bun or with a ponytail. I want my hair to be healthy and in the best, strongest state possible when I get my retouch.

If you are trying to lengthen time between relaxers and do not use harmful heat on a consistent basis, I don't think it's bad. Closer to relaxers it can be difficult to manage new growth and this can help. Just ask that the stylist use a lower heat setting. In my experience, Dominican salons tend to use higher heat to make the roots extra straight.

I do this all the time. I do it instead of blowdrying my entire length.

If it's warm enough and I'm so inclined I wear my hair curly when I'm in desperate need of a touch up. But if it's wintery outside and I am wearing my hair straight (my normal course of action in the winter months) I ALWAYS blowdry my roots only. You get the same effects, without adding additional heat to the oldest and more fragile parts of your hair - the ends.

The roots on my hair (especially if they aren't freshly relaxed is the strongest and most resilient part of my hair and stands up well to the once weekly treatment of heat. A few of my pics in the gallery (the ones where my hair is a brownish red and quite straight) are all pcis wehre I belw my roots only.
smile.gif

How do you blow dry the roots only? Do you do this when the hair is already dried or is it wet?

Also, have you ever thought about using a flat iron, curling iron, or electric straightening comb to straighten your roots?

Hi supergirl,

It's after a rollerset, it's dried completely under the drier. They take a round brush and hold the roots taut while they direct the heat from the blowdrier at the roots, worst case scenario the heat overlaps onto about two inches of the rest of my hair. I have tried using my ceramic flat iron to straighten the roots but it doesn't get all of the roots. I've never tried an electric straightening comb but I heard bad things about straightening combs, I was told that it pulls the hair out and is too rough on the hair. Have you ever used an electric straightening comb on the roots??

Hi All,

I'd like to add my 2 pence. I grew up in NYC where Dominican salons existed on every corner. When I moved away a few years ago I was forced to cut my very long hair (4-5 inches past bra strap). I eventually learned to care for my own thick, multi-textured hair, but I kept the same regiment that the Dominicans used, as it was what grew my hair the fastest and healthiest.

I invested in some rollers, setting clips a hard-hat dryer and a commercial blow-dryer (which I don't recommend due to the high temps).

I roller set hair and use high heat for about 30 minutes and the remaining 30 minutes I use cool air.

I then section hair (starting at nape of neck) and use a high-quality boar's hair brush to pull roots and blow the roots ONLY. I have learned how to blow my hair just as straight as the Dominicans do, but that took about 2 years of practice.

I apply NO direct hear to my hair: no curling iron, straightening combs nothing.

I must also add that I have a plethora of deep conditioners and I alternate each week to prevent my hair from "adjusting" to the products. I also make my own pre-conditioners using a variety of oils with carriers.

I hope that helps :-)

I have used a warm blow dryer to straighten the roots following a roller set as I have gotten closer to touch-up time. As long as you use a warm setting, and not the BBQ setting, and have applied a good leave-in conditioner, then there should be no problem.

I have also used a warm straightening comb on new growth. I grew up with my mother pressing my hair, and so I consider myself a proficient straightening comb user. Personally, I find that the electric combs take out hair. I have never had a problem with breakage.

northernbelle

Supergirl,

The times that I've gone to a Dominican salon, I had them blow dry the roots. They did mine after my hair was roller set. I was about 3 months post relaxer, and they made my hair look as though I had just got a relaxer touch up (hair was shiny, bouncy and swinging).
smile.gif

Okay, thanks guys because I couldn't imagine trying to blow the roots only when my hair is still wet...breakage city
smile.gif

So are they using a brush to pull the hair taut while blow-drying it out? That was probably a dumb question--I'm sure they are.

Webby--I like your style. You said you have a "plethora" of conditioners. That sounds fancier and more meaningful than just being a PJ. I think I'll be a plethora person too
trampoline.gif

MiaLi, that was an excellent suggestion. I never thought to ask them to use a lower setting, I'm definitely going to use your tip next time!
Tracy, you had mentioned this technique a while back that's where I got the root only idea from.

Everyone thanks for all the input, you guys are so helpful!

Is it okay to use a blowdryer with a comb attachment to blowdry the the roots? I have one of those round blowdryers but I don't really know how to use it.

my old stylist used to press my roots with a warm pressing comb. i mean she would do it really fast and my hair was really bouncy and swingy afterwards

i use an attachment (pic) on the hand-held dryer that i have to smooth my roots out (usually after a touch-up and a rollerset you can see the parts)

EmeraldSky glad I could help!
smile.gif
Using the lower heat setting worked for me when I had my roots blow-dried regularly.

Daviine,
I think it depends on what your hair can handle, for me I wouldn't use a comb attachment on my blowdryer only because I find I have to concentrate the heat for longer in order to get them straight versus using a round brush, also I can't do small sections like with a round brush and I end up pulling the comb thru the length of my hair too often, but if you can do it and easily blowdry your roots then great! If you try it let me know how it goes
smile.gif

Daviine,

I think that most high-end, high-quality blow-dryers come with concentration nozzles, as Emerald mentioned.

I purchased several non-professional blow-dryers and never got the same results. I finally bought the same blow-dryer that my Dominican stylist uses and got the same (after lot's of practice).

One thing that is ultra important to getting the most out of your roller-set and blow-dry is making sure not to remove your rollers until hair is completly dry.

I used to sit under the dryer for 5 hours and SWORE that my hair was completely dry. It wasn't and I'd eventually get frizzies.

Supergirl,

By all means become a "plethora" girl too. You're hair will love you for it ;-)

Back