Need Help

LadyKarma

Hi Everyone,

I am in such a devastated about the state of my hair. I just want some one to look at my pics(I attached them)and see if there is anything I can do to change this. My last visit to hair salon in December was a disaster I told the stylist(she seemed on board until I told no heat to my hair & preferred roller set and to use my own products things seemed to change and that was about all the stylists I went to since I've been in Alabama) my goals for my hair and after 2 visits my hair started breaking off real bad. I primarily use ORS products because I was too scared to mix others. I found this forum but have been to embarrassed to post. I have been reading a lot of posters progress that have made me hopeful. My husband has been very supportive but I don't even want to go outside sometimes. Any advice will help. I also live in Birmingham, AL and I am originally for NYC when I lived in NYC the Dominicans grew my hair and I move to AL 4 yrs ago still my hair has been falling out and still haven't found a stylist that was about promoting growth and healthy long hair. If any1 recommends one in my area please do because roller setting is killing me, lol. Thanks for reading.

My regimen for the past 4 months

wash once a week-ORS shampoo
dc one a week-ORS deep conditioner
rollerset(I am beginner and still trying to get it right) I would prefer to let a stylist do it
ORS leave in conditioner
I keep my hair in updos w/ bang or swoop my hair coming towards the front to cover the ball spots in the front edges of my hair and that is the only thing that looks right with some curls.
Just did the aphogee 2 step last week
QP elasta mango & olive oil moisturizer
ORS temple balm just started using
ORS heat protectant gloss, when I need to touch up my updo curls
Coconut oil
Last relaxer almost 8 weeks

Sorry if I left out anything I just want to cry after actually taking pics of my hair and now gaining the courage to go public about it on this forum.

Attachments

• iPhone3GS 021.jpg
    iPhone3GS 021.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 71
  • iPhone3GS 023.jpg
    iPhone3GS 023.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 70
  • iPhone3GS 022.jpg
    iPhone3GS 022.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 66
  • iPhone3GS 025.jpg
    iPhone3GS 025.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 67
Mine looked similar (actually a lot worse) when I began my HHJ.:ohwell: I discovered mine was was Overprocessing, Overlapping, Double Processing and Poor Neutralization (after relaxing) all at the Hands of my Stylist.:sad:

I ended up losing 90% of my hair. I am currently on the road to recovery and nursing my own Hair back to health as a DIY.

And trust me, I didn't know anything about my own hair or hair care in general, because I had a Standing Weekly Appointment at someone's Salon for over 25 years.:blush:

I used this forum to research all the problems I was having and then began to develop a Regimen which consisted of Balancing my Protein/Moisture, Correcting my Porosity, My hair was overly porous from all the chemical processing & color. Stretching my Relaxers. And Learning about My Hair and How to Properly Care for My Hair (on my own).:look:

I don't know anything about ORS Products, but I will say make sure you balance out your Protein/Moisture. Moisture should always Follow Protein.

Get you a good vitamin. Drink Plenty of Water. Eat Plenty of Fruits & Vegetables. Pray for the Restoration of your Hair. And begin to closely monitor your hair. Control Your Stress Level. Be Patient.:grin:

Stretch the amount of times between your relaxers. Make sure you keep your hair well moisturized daily.:yep:

You will recover. Stay Encouraged.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you seem to be using a lot of protein products. What do you use to moisturize that is water-based?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you seem to be using a lot of protein products. What do you use to moisturize that is water-based?
I am new to caring for my own hair. I was using the protein to stop the breaking. I am not too sure what I need to use as a daily moisturizer. I have always went to a salon to get my hair done so I am not sure what I am suppose to be using.

I too used to use aphogee's products quite often. I can say I have seen much retention since using more moisture rich products. My Godsend....Silk Elements MegaSilk Moisturizing Treatment from Sally's. I have like 5 jars in my cabinet. I use this every week for my DCs. If I do a protein treatment, I always follow up with this conditioner using the relaxer method (slathering it all over making sure to fully cover each strand).

I am new to caring for my own hair. I was using the protein to stop the breaking. I am not too sure what I need to use as a daily moisturizer. I have always went to a salon to get my hair done so I am not sure what I am suppose to be using.

Protein is good at combating breakage, but you should always follow with a moisture rich conditioner.

After using the Silk Elements I mentioned in the previous post, I really don't add anything else to my hair until I wash again (whether I wear my hair straight or curly), but that's because I would of had 2 layers of moisture (dc + moisturizing detangler: Nioxin Thermal Bliss) and I seal with Argan Oil (only when my hair is curly). & That's it for the week.

Maybe some of the other ladies can chime in with what daily moisturizer they use.

Last edited:
westNDNbeauty, Thanks for letting me know how you care for your hair. I am so afraid to mix products or overload my hair with too many products which I suspect is what I am doing. I do the deep conditioner with ORS replenish pack and make sure I do the relaxer treatment as you do. I have seen less breaking/shedding so far. I have relaxed hair too. I guess I am trying to get the right balance combination and products without further damaging my hair. I see that your regimen is for natural hair, right?

:grouphug3:
It's only going to get better from here!!!!

Pre-hair journey I did the following: Day 1 - Relax, Day 2 - Bleach (honey blond highlights). Day 3 - Micro braids!
I know, it makes no sense at all! As you can imagine, I had 1inch strands all over my head :cry:

As for moisture, THE JUICE!!!! S-Curl, Curl free, Wave Nouveau, Stay-Soft fro, etc!!!!

You should try incorporating this into your reggie on a daily basis. Remember, to focus on the ends. HTH.

Happy Growing!

Last edited:
Welcome to LHCF, Lady Karma!

JBCO (Jamaican Black Castor Oil) around your edges or as a DC is great as a moisturizer.

I don't have a lot of advice, but the one thing I would say is to not relax again until you have everything under control (6 months to a year from now I guesstimate).

Happy Hair Growing. I know your hair will flourish with all the info on this board.

:bighug: and welcome!!! It does look like you need to incorporate more moisture in your regiment. In addition, there are ladies on this forum that have gotten great results with Jamaican Black Castor Oil (JBCO) in growing out their edges...myself included :yep:. I co-wash to help with my moisture retention especially since I relax with no-lye. I'm finding that Aussie Moist and Yes To Carrots conditioners work for me.

Based on your pictures your hair is really not that bad. I think that your main issue may be relaxer damage. This may be why your getting so much As another poster stated, I would say no relaxers for a few months to give your hair a chance to recover and for you to figure out what your hair likes. Before I chopped my hair and started over my hair was breaking like crazy and my edges were a mess. I always thought that my hair was relaxer resistent and the over-processing and overlapping was causing my hair to be weak. I would say dust your ends, stay away from the relaxer, and find some good moisture based products since you already have all of your protein products.

The Best thing that I ever did was to stretch my relaxers. You don't know how much it really does to your hair until you don't do it for awhile and let some hair grow in.

You've received such good advice. My hair is natural but I had porous hair that I had to nurse back to health. Instant moisturizers are excellent and did good for my edges. I spray my hair heavily with them at night and bag my entire head up. Take a look at my pictures in my album when you get a moment. My problem initially was too much protein too. In fact, my natural hair does not like ORS as a deep conditioner every week. And, when I do use it, I mix it with other humectants. Also, I'm a huge advocate for mixing other conditioners together. In fact, this is my weekly dc regimen:

I co-wash only. (I find weekly shampoos are too drying for my hair)

I dc with Neutrogena Triple Moisturizer, and the Deep recovery mask/Loreal's Ever Pure Deep restoration masque/Pantene Pro V 5 minute strengthening mask/Ion Extreme Moisturizing Nurturing Creme/honey/Evoo all mixed together.

Thanks everyone! I really do appreciate all of the advice and tips. I will stretch the relaxer as all of you have stated. Can I find the Jamaican Black Castor Oil in the beauty supply stores. As far as mixing products, I would assume its okay for me mix conditioners. I have been using ORS products for a few years so, I am ready to experiment to see what works.

Back