Need Hair Help

Ipanema

My hair is currently a mess.
frown.gif
It's dry & hard like straw. It sticks straight out from my head & looks dull. All of the products that I've been using are not working, and I've been experiencing a lot of breakage. My hair is getting shorter & shorter even though I'm on the vitamin challenge & getting plenty of growth spurts. My problem is that my scalp needs special care & my hair is extremely dry and coarse. I haven't found a good routine yet. I'm thinking of using a box of neutral Hennalucent that's been sitting around since this past summer. Would this just make the problem worse? I need to be able to have a clean scalp & moisturized hair. Any suggestions?

i would recommend UltraSheen Hairdress w/Tea Tree Oil for your scalp if it is itchiness that you are experiencing. i was having a problem keeping my scalp clean and this worked for me
smile.gif
i do it right after i blowdry (this is the best time for me because this is the time when my scalp hasn't started getting dry)after i apply it to my scalp i comb my hair toward the back and this helps to distribute some of it to my hair (this helps my hair feel smoother and have some shine) hope this helps---jainygirl

Hi~

I'm sorry you are having such hair trouble. I've been there. My suggestions would be to find a moisturizer that's good for your hair type. I have 4a/b relaxed hair that is coarse & thick & using Ultra Black Hair Lotion Creme has worked wonders on my hair. Try to find a moisturizer where the first ingredient is water because water is the best moisturizer[I read that in another post
wink.gif
]

Where exactly are you breaking at? At the roots on the ends? If you could figure that out, you'll know exactly what kind of treatment you need. Your hair might be crying out for a hard protein treatment.

For the scalp, I suggest a ACV rinse. They are really great for cleaning the scalp. They have pratically eliminated ny dandruff.

HTH

I would suggest you leave the shampoos alone for awhile.
I find that most of them strip the hair of natural oils that it needs for elasticity, porosity and strength.
Try an overnight oil conditioning treatment with castor oil.
This oil has a tendency to be sticky, but is excellent for adding sheen, retaining moisture and suppleness.
Often when hair is lacking in sheen and is dry and brittle we are lacking EFA in our diets. Essential Fatty Acids.
Try Flax seed oil, Fish Oil, Borage Seed Oil.
Flax seed oil is excellent for oil conditioning treatments as well. Apply to hair for 40 minutes using a steam towel treatment. Rinse with warm water for six minutes.
As for a itchy scalp. Emu oil is excellent for itchy scalps.
Make sure that you are not suffering from a conjested scalp.(overload of products) by using a clarifying shampoo. (pea size amount) on scalp only. To remove any products. To many product left on the scalp will clog pores and make scalp itchy. Follow up with a moisturing shampoos like Break Thru by Soft sheen carson.
Just a small amount to soften hair after using clarify shampoo. Leave on for 3 mins.
I would not use the Henna. Henna is excellent for strength and contains alot of protein. I know alot of women suggest using protein to stop breakage. I suggest something different. Protein will add stength and make hair hard with usage and brittle if used too often. This seems to be your problem now. So wouldn't protein contribute to brittleness and dryness even more.
Suggestion: Moisture, Moisture, Moisture,
Castor oil. (just a little) do warm water rinses for about 3 days for 6 mins. Focusing on stimulating scalp. Keep your hair products to a minimum. Also try Regis Hydrating Balm for 60 mins under a hooded dryer. EXCELLENT for moisture restoration. Try adding a bit of olive oil to it as well and heat for 23 secs. Then go under the hooded dryer.
Keep scalp clean. Apply light oils such as avocado oil or jojoba (wax) to add moisture and softness to hair. Africa's best Ultimate oil is a great product. I add just a tad bit more jojoba to it.
Alberto VO5 Hair Therapy does a excellent job of giving hair slip, detangling and protection against heat if you blow dry. Throughout the day you may try just a spritz of water with cator oil and jojoba.
Try not to overprocess hair and keep relaxing to a minimum.

[ QUOTE ]
Ipanema said:
My hair is currently a mess.
frown.gif
It's dry & hard like straw. It sticks straight out from my head & looks dull. All of the products that I've been using are not working, and I've been experiencing a lot of breakage. My hair is getting shorter & shorter even though I'm on the vitamin challenge & getting plenty of growth spurts. My problem is that my scalp needs special care & my hair is extremely dry and coarse. I haven't found a good routine yet. I'm thinking of using a box of neutral Hennalucent that's been sitting around since this past summer. Would this just make the problem worse? I need to be able to have a clean scalp & moisturized hair. Any suggestions?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know much about hennalucent but henna itself is very drying.
What products have u used?
If u r looking for a routine; think back to a time when u liked how ur hair behaved/looked/felt and build a routine based on whatever it was u were doing at that time.

Thanks for the info everybody. Sterry, you've given me a wealth of info to draw from. Mikki727, my hair breaks near the root, middle, and end. The dryness is making it break everywhere. I'm just going to clarify & see if that helps. Then try conditioner washes again.

I really feel sorry for you. I know what it is like to be stressed out about your hair. It sounds like your hair needs some moisture. Have you put something on it recently that has made it freak out? You may be reacting to all the vitamins as everyones body is different and they can upset your hormonal balance.
Maybe you could try using jojoba oil on your scalp and maybe sleep everynight with conditioner on. Whatever you decide I would keep your routine very simple and dont use a lot of products.

Back