Need a bun alternative...

MrsBKJ

Ive been wearing a bun 99% of the time for years and im fed up! i want a change for two reasons: Im bored and i think that buns are not helping my ends...they always look scraggly when i take my bun down ...ive chopped off several inches becuase of this and i know my ends are not REALLY dry of bad they just look it cuz they messed up in the bun all day!
blurgh!
help anybody???
Thanks

You could use a clip andj ust twist the back up and leave alittle out in the front for aside swept bang.

RachiQue, I know exactly what you mean. When I use a sock bun, the scraggliness happens to my ends too. My hair isn't long enough to put it up into a bun without the use of a sock, though. The bun is the only style to help me get through the hot and humid days.

Make sure you are moisturizing your ends daily and using some type of sealant. I think it was Adrienne who suggested vaseline on your ends, but I may be wrong. It's been so long.
But anyway, you will get scraggly ends if they're not properly moisturized, and on a daily basis at that. I am a faithful bun wearer, so I understand how you may be getting bored.
Personally I use motions moisturizer lotion and seal with their hairdress (grease!) and my ends never felt better.
Hope this helps.

I like to wear a braidout,rollerset,bantu knots. I still do buns but only for a week at a time so I wont get too lazy and never enjoy my hair. So I do a braidout one week,then bun the next week,rollerset the next week,then bun,etc. This helps me not get bored with my styles.hth:)O yeah try to wrap that bun in a baggie at night, this helped me alot esp. before wash day.

Last edited:
victorious said:
Try a french roll or a french braid. You can also fold your ponytail under and pin/tuck it.

That's what I do. I pull my hair in a ponytail and put enough ORS Oil moisturizer on it so that it's slightly damp, roll it under, and pin it up with a roller pin. Sometimes I take it down when it dries and I'll have a ponytail that has a slight bump to it.

My hair is barely armpit length, so if my make my ponytail a little high, the ends won't brush against the back of my shirt, so sometimes I do this, too.

oohh thanks you guys..some great ideas i will try the clip under technique today and see how it goes!

ashley your bun looks great!!
thanks again!

Back