Naturals who are considering a texturizer . . .

velvethalo

I am getting to the point where I can't do ANYTHING with my hair. I’ve been mostly natural for 12 years. When I say mostly it's because for a long time I had color, which affected the texture of my hair. And once I relaxed my long hair, but quickly cut it off, and started from scratch.

So now, my hair is long again(3 inches past bra strap) and healthy. I can't do anything with it except wearing it in a pony tail- which is sooo not the point of having long hair- or pressing it straight, (so why be curly, right??). Plus I just moved to Northern Europe, so it’s cold and wet all the time. I’m a 3c/4a, and it seems that the longer my hair gets the shorter it looks, because of all the shrinkage. When my hair was shorter it just fell better and was more manageable.

Should I get a texturizer? Am I going to totally regret putting chemicals in my hair, or will I love it? Who out there is stuck in the middle like me?

If you are considering a texturizer, which one sounds most appealing to you? I’ve been thinking about Rusk Anticurl. But what if I just leave a mild relaxer on my hair for 5 or 10 minutes? I used to do this when I had a really short cut and ended up with silky 3b/c curls, but I don’t know if it would work on longer hair . . .

Hey,
I feel your pain...lol, I am considering getting a texturizer, because I hate putting a lot of heat on my hair to get it straight. I like my curly hair, but I also feel like I am working so hard to get my length and it doesn't even show due to shrinkage. I wear my hair in a ponytail now everyday pretty much, and I too am getting tired of it. I know this was not much help to you, but I want you to know I feel your pain...but it will get better. Oh, and your bedtime braids were really pretty!
smile.gif
smile.gif

I am not considering a texturizer, but i just wanted to say that your hair is so thick and pretty in the braids for bedtime pic.

In the past I've tried to texturize on my own twice. I would stop perming my hair to grow it out and then when I got tired of it being fuzzy all the time I would texturize it with a home texturizer kit. The problem with that plan is that over the course of time the less kinky areas of my hair would go pretty much dead straight. If you decide to do it you might want to try a professional, on the other hand, you'd have to trust them not to over-process you either....... I think it's fine if you're prepared for the possible eventuality of pretty straight hair. If you could live with having a perm again go for it. Just be prepared to deal with all the stuff that comes with the perm.

I stopped perming my hair last March and was thinking of putting a texturizer in but my friend, UmSummayah talked me out of it. However, if I had as much hair on my head as you have to deal with I might see it differently. Then again, when my hair was relaxed it was always in a ponytail anyway, so maybe not....

Good luck making a decision!
Melody

First of all I would like to say that your hair is utterly beautiful!! It is just like mine, but longer. I have noticed the longer my hair gets the more tangles have become an issue for me. I would really not advise getting chemicals put in her hair because I think that it is just a short term fix and could eventually turn into a bigger problem for you do to overlapping and overprocessing the already treated hair. I think that going to a professional would be the best way to go if you do decide to texturize but do you really think that they will never overlap the chemicals??

What exactly do you feel are the problems with styling your hair right now?? If the tangles are getting on your nerves (like mine are) you might want to try a neutral Henna treatment to help strengthen and cut down on the tangles.

Whatever your choice I wish you luck and you really do have a beautiful head of natural hair
smile.gif

Hi your hair looks very nice.

Try Henna, a friend of mine clued me in on it. great treatment for making the hair loose and nice.

How do you care for your hair now? How often do wash? what products do you use to style your hair?

Did you ever think of trying a braid out? It can last for a few days.

VelvetHalo,

Do you really think that texturizing will solve your problem of not being able to do anything with your hair?

If you texturize your hair do you really believe that your hair will be more manageable? Even some of the relaxed sisters on this board have problems with tangles.

If you decide to texturize, what are you going to do to your hair that is so different from how you do your hair now?

Do you want to texturize your hair to show the length?

In the past I have been pretty upset with my hair because I had a problem with the shrinkage, but now I no longer feel that way. My hair shrinks up and that's just the way it is. I had to learn to accept what my hair does naturally.

Of course I can't tell you what to do with your hair. But I think that you should try changing up your hair routine before you decide to take the texturizing plunge. Once you texturize there will be no turning back.

[ QUOTE ]
honey_jammz82 said:
Hey,
I feel your pain...lol, I am considering getting a texturizer, because I hate putting a lot of heat on my hair to get it straight. I like my curly hair, but I also feel like I am working so hard to get my length and it doesn't even show due to shrinkage. I wear my hair in a ponytail now everyday pretty much, and I too am getting tired of it. I know this was not much help to you, but I want you to know I feel your pain...but it will get better. Oh, and your bedtime braids were really pretty!
smile.gif
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto!!!
Velvethalo, I am caught in the middle as well. I am not advising anything because these are longer-term consequences we're talking about.
I'm just here for support if you need it because I KNOW I will be texturizing my hair sometime in the future (within the next 2 years or so).
I just can't handle my hair as is except to wash/condition etc. detangle and put in a bun, moisturizing ever day until the next wash/bun routine
ohwell.gif

I straighten every now and then to see the length, to get a different look etc., but I can never do it right. And I like my natural hair! I just want less shrinkage and fuzz. Period.

so good luck in your exploration of options! Make sure you're sure and prepared for the worst (over-processing)if you do decide to go through with it!
smile.gif

By the way, seeing that you visited Curve Salon already, did you have a consultation regarding their silkeners? They look like they do a good job of giving you waht you want...

[ QUOTE ]
tracyannette said:
I am not considering a texturizer, but i just wanted to say that your hair is so thick and pretty in the braids for bedtime pic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto! Your hair is beautiful!
smile.gif

Try this method first(may be defeating the purpose since you are in a cold and wet climate,but here it goes anyway): Since I am growing out my relaxer (some permed ends) I have noticed that I can still do some rollersets. My next hair mission is to rollerset my hair using medium to jumbo magnetic rollers and sit under the dryer.This method should loosen the wave/curl texture.After this, I will flat iron my hair. May be a little time consuming,but natural hair care is anyway.

Thanks for all the replies and compliments!
blush.gif
It's good to hear that you ladies feel what I'm saying. I love my hair, but it sure is hard-headed.
wink.gif

Since I've been natural so long, I've tried everything in the book. My hair is very strong and grows fast, so I know I'll achieve my length goals. But I like having a hair style. I'm sick of wearing my hair in buns and ponytails!

As far as products- I've tried almost everything and less is more for me. I recently switched to Patene conditioner, but besides that shea butter, olive oil, and some BBD glass gel if I want defined curls.

The climate change has created the greatest problem. The water here has a lot of minerals, which makes my hair drier and less defined. It's also very humid and cold.

Zoe:
I've been to Curve once, in February. They did the cut in the picture with the yellow background. They cut off about 5 inches, which I didn't mind because I was going for shape, but in retrospect I think I would have them do the conditioning treatment first and then cut- because I think that stylists get a little scissor happy. I also had the steam treatment, which made my hair very defined and even turned my s-curls to spirals- go figure! I would go back to Curve, but now that I live in Denmark that's impossible. It's also a lot harder to find products compatable with curly hair here, since most of the people here have straight stringy hair.

AFashionSlave:
Braidouts and twists used to work beautifully when I lived in New York. Heck- wash and go worked beautifully. But now, this rain just zapps any attempt at a style. I just end up with a tangled poofy mess unless I use a whole bottle of gel in my head. I don't think a texturizer will be less work, just more managable once it's dry.

Nbc/ Teva:
I would like to give Henna a try. Is there something special that I should look for as far as ingredients? How often do I have to apply it?

I feel like those cartoon characters with a devil on one shoulder and an angel on the other.
ohwell.gif

Velvet,

To find out more about the neutral henna do a search for a member named Hennajoy, she sells a neutral henna and her post are very informative.

I also wanted to ask what your current routine was - maybe I can and others her help you a little more if we knew how you were caring for your hair and what products you are using and you daily/weekly routine.

Also are you in a humid climate??

smile.gif
smile.gif

Try mousse instead of gel. Gel leaves your hair hard, cruncy, it needs to be washed out. Mousse doesn't have as drastic an effect, but it helps with the smoothing out, frizz, doesn't need to be washed out, and can be very helpful.

By the way, I don't know of any styles you can do with relaxed/texturized hair but not natural hair. I think that you may like the relaxer for a few years, but then in 3 years you may long for your natural texture but find it very hard to start over.

Basically, you should do what you think is right for you. Considering the fact that you're in Denmark and may not have the tools/products you once had, you may have to do some things differently. You sound like you're giving it a lot of thought. So I'm sure you'll make an informed decision.

[ QUOTE ]
nbcgurl22 said:
Velvet,

To find out more about the neutral henna do a search for a member named Hennajoy, she sells a neutral henna and her post are very informative.

I also wanted to ask what your current routine was - maybe I can and others her help you a little more if we knew how you were caring for your hair and what products you are using and you daily/weekly routine.

Also are you in a humid climate??

smile.gif
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The climate in Denmark is cold, and always humid. Not only does it drizzle almost everyday, but the city I live in is only 20 mins or so from the ocean.

My routine changes depending on the weather. Right now I'm washing it 2 times a week with some Danish product that I'm sure you've never heard of. It's very moisturing though- it has wheat in it I think. I condition, and wet comb everyday with Pantene Smooth and Sleek- lots of slip. Mostly I pull it back in a ponytail, or poof. If I have somewhere to go I fingerstyle and airdry with BBD glass, or press it straight (though neither holds well in this weather). I do a hot oil treatment as needed with shea butter lotion.

My hair is not dry and feels very healthy. I had to switch to Pantene to combat all of the minerals in the water (you can see a calcium build up on the glasses). I do a vinegar rinse as needed to clarify.

I think the main problem for me is the weather. It takes all day for my hair to dry, so I can't do twist or braidouts anymore. Whatever style I try gets ruined by the amount of moisture in the air. Also my hair gets more unruly the longer it gets. Yesterday in the shower, I was playing with one of the hairs and noticed that it fell down and then went back up again- almost the whole length of the hair!

I think a lot of my problems could be solved if I had one of those hooded driers. If someone from Europe is reading and knows a website where I could order one - hook a sista up!

I'm open to any advice and styling solutions anyone has.
smile.gif

I think a hooded dryer would come in handy for you too to do twists/twistouts and braidouts. I am a little jealous cause my hair does so well in humid conditions. It stays really moisturized all day and shiney and coily all day (like today heheheh) But usually it is cold and dry here in the winter and my hair doesn't do well at all.

If you can you might want to try to find one of those heat lamps shaped like a dryer. This would come handy to speed up the drying process for when you want to wear your hair out - they use these at curve.

I would be a little leary of the wheat in the moisturizing product that you are using cause that stuff can turn on you and cause dryness in the long run.

I currently use Pantene's Daily moisturizing for my daily conditioning. I am also glad to see that there is another natural who has to comb with conditioner everyday. If I didn't do this I would be in big trouble!!!!

Hi Velveto - I can feel what you are going through. I have been natural for years and am eager to do something different with it. I currently work/live here in Germany. There is a lot of rain, humidity and cold here too
down.gif
I am wearing braids/weaves in order not to deal with my hair.

I have purchased just about every perm imaginable - they are all in my product graveyard: Rusk Anti-Curl, Revlon regular, Affirm Fiberguard. I still haven't used any - now I hear that Henna would do the trick
ohwell.gif
Well, I guess I could add that one to the bunch ...

You mentioned the minerals in the water? What I did was purchase a shower filter (from the States) because the water in the house I am living in has a lot of lime in it. This has made a big difference in my hair. The only bad thing is that I am heavily dependent upon the replacement cartridges that come from the States. I get mine from Bestfilters

As far as a hair dryer is concerned, I don't know what to say (I don't use one).
nono.gif

Mufasa

PS - I really like your hair
up.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Mufasa said:
Hi Velveto - I can feel what you are going through. I have been natural for years and am eager to do something different with it. I currently work/live here in Germany. There is a lot of rain, humidity and cold here too
down.gif
I am wearing braids/weaves in order not to deal with my hair.

I have purchased just about every perm imaginable - they are all in my product graveyard: Rusk Anti-Curl, Revlon regular, Affirm Fiberguard. I still haven't used any - now I hear that Henna would do the trick
ohwell.gif
Well, I guess I could add that one to the bunch ...

You mentioned the minerals in the water? What I did was purchase a shower filter (from the States) because the water in the house I am living in has a lot of lime in it. This has made a big difference in my hair. The only bad thing is that I am heavily dependent upon the replacement cartridges that come from the States. I get mine from Bestfilters

As far as a hair dryer is concerned, I don't know what to say (I don't use one).
nono.gif

Mufasa

PS - I really like your hair
up.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I can get my family to send me a water filter for Christmas.

What did the Anti-Curl do to your hair? I've been doing research on it and I've read mixed reviews.

Hi,
I wanted to post again. You said you are looking for styles? Except for the style to use a scarf as a headband and twists, I don't know any natural styles - but you can go to nappturality.com to get more responses.

[ QUOTE ]
Melody said:
In the past I've tried to texturize on my own twice. I would stop perming my hair to grow it out and then when I got tired of it being fuzzy all the time I would texturize it with a home texturizer kit. The problem with that plan is that over the course of time the less kinky areas of my hair would go pretty much dead straight. If you decide to do it you might want to try a professional, on the other hand, you'd have to trust them not to over-process you either....... I think it's fine if you're prepared for the possible eventuality of pretty straight hair. If you could live with having a perm again go for it. Just be prepared to deal with all the stuff that comes with the perm.

I stopped perming my hair last March and was thinking of putting a texturizer in but my friend, UmSummayah talked me out of it. However, if I had as much hair on my head as you have to deal with I might see it differently. Then again, when my hair was relaxed it was always in a ponytail anyway, so maybe not....

Good luck making a decision!
Melody

[/ QUOTE ]

That's right, I told her "back away from the chemicals" and reminded her she promised at least a year. You better not texturize it for another few months or Ima
spank.gif

I know that this thread isn't directed to me (transitioning)... but I just wanted to comment that UR HAIR IS ABSOLUTELY FREAKIN' BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!
shocked.gif

Girl, I have saved ur album in my favs... u have me hooked
assimilate.gif

Many blessings to u (whateva' u decide to do)
Rose.gif

Be careful since Denmark has hard water and if you texturize you may have problems w/breakage. I remember someone telling me they were stationed in Germany and had a curl. Talking about breakage. She had to start wearing scarves and had one in very color for every outfit. BTW, I love your hair.

Back