Naturals: Which TYPE of roller gives you the BEST rollerset?

Which TYPE of roller do you use to produce the perfect rollerset?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Janet'

Good Morning Ladies,

I would really like to start back rollersetting, but I want a really nice rollerset. I am interested in knowing from those of you that rollerset which type of roller produced the results that you were looking for. Also, why do you think that your preferred roller is the best?

For some of you straightness of the root doesn't matter, for others it does...Please feel free to include this in your commentary as well. Also, do products have as much to do with the success of the rollerset as the roller itself?

Right now, I have only used cold rods, flexi rods (or a similar variation). I have attached pics of various rollers just in case you may not be sure what yours are officially called.

Thanks in advance, ladies!!!!

Attachments

• Cold wave roller.jpg
    Cold wave roller.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 17
  • Flexi rods.jpg
    Flexi rods.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 392
  • Magnetic Roller.jpg
    Magnetic Roller.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 16
  • Mesh Roller.jpg
    Mesh Roller.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 414
  • Snap over rollers.jpg
    Snap over rollers.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 392
Last edited:
thanks - I want to know too. I want to try to rollerset. My first few attempts did not turn out quite so well.

i really like Denman rollers ,i use the medium size,they re the only rollers that are hassle free and give great results.

I just started roller setting my hair and I like it! I use the "snap cover rollers" I find that for my 4a/b hair the snap helps to keep my roots and the hair on the "top" smooth.

I use the magnetic rollers with great results.

I miss my roller sets. I can't do them now because my hair will just revert. I will NOT sit under that dryer for 2 hrs. and have my hair revert.:lachen:

Oh and I do ponytail sets to get my roots straight.

My hair despises snap covers for reasons that will continue to defy me :nono:. They hated them relaxed, hate them now too.

I tried magnetic rollers, but one side wouldn't stay; I couldn't get it to roll to save my life. Someone here recommended the green one in your second set of pics, and I've been using those with great success.

Because I only rollerset when I'm straightening, and will need to use a flatiron anyway, the roots are not my biggest concern. I get them as straight as possible, but I was raised on the mohawk method (I only rollerset when I was relaxed), so that's what I do and these work great for it.

My hair despises snap covers for reasons that will continue to defy me :nono:. They hated them relaxed, hate them now too.

I tried magnetic rollers, but one side wouldn't stay; I couldn't get it to roll to save my life. Someone here recommended the green one in your second set of pics, and I've been using those with great success.

Because I only rollerset when I'm straightening, and will need to use a flatiron anyway, the roots are not my biggest concern. I get them as straight as possible, but I was raised on the mohawk method (I only rollerset when I was relaxed), so that's what I do and these work great for it.

Ronnie,

How do you get those rollers to stay in your head...I know they come with those little pin thingies, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to work em...:wallbash:

Ronnie,

How do you get those rollers to stay in your head...I know they come with those little pin thingies, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to work em...:wallbash:

The pins are a nightmare!!! I use standard roller clips. You just have to make sure that you have a good part to prevent pulling or breakage. I made my boyfriend buy me 2 sets of roller clips, and I can typically get my hair rolled (SL length) in around 30 minutes. I agree with a PP who said the hair needs to be soaking wet. Anything less is a mess.

I use the mesh rollers and this was b4 I transitioned I noticed that my hair had so much body when I used them.. Using the pins were the only downfall just trying to position them correctly to hold the roller.. I usually just use water, glycerine and setting lotion not much for my rollersetting mix..

Ladies, I have 2 stand twists my hair and tonight I decided to roll my twist up on flexi rods.. it was fairly easy.. I hope i like it.

when i used to go to the dominican salon they used the magnetic rollers and held them in w/ the silver clips...

when my mom used to roller set my hair she used:
attachment.php
or mesh rollers like these:
54a96342-65bf-d230-45f0-1340cca88d77.jpg

i think if you want a straighter look like your going to blow it out with a round brush after, or do a silk wrap , the magnetic work best, but it takes skill to get enough tension to get the root straight

if you wanna wear it curly, then the ones like the green one never failed us, and you stick the roller pins in the little holes to hold them.

both ways your hair needs to be SOAKED with water/setting lotion...

ETA: when i was transitioning i set my hair w/ flexirods and it came out nice...you can control the tension to get it straight if you bend the ends tight enough, and they werent that bad to sleep in

Last edited:
honestly the only curl set that has worked for me since going natural (mostly 4b with some 4a) were curlformers. They are an investment but they are worth it to me. Even my roots are straight like i just went to a salon. I put them in after i wash or co wash my hair with some infusium 23 and lotta body or any other light moisturizer and wear them overnight. it's truly not that comfortable lol but I haven't invested in a sit under dryer yet. either way the curls come out soooo pretty. I have the starter kit and I use the long and wide. you can check out this lady on youtube that uses them to see what i'm talking about.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsRx3DUazGQ

Snap cover roller ladies, how do you guys keep the cover from leaving the dent? :perplexed

When I rollerset, I put a side part in my hair and then roll downward on each side of the part, and then the back I roll down going back. This hides the dents for me.

honestly the only curl set that has worked for me since going natural (mostly 4b with some 4a) were curlformers. They are an investment but they are worth it to me. Even my roots are straight like i just went to a salon. I put them in after i wash or co wash my hair with some infusium 23 and lotta body or any other light moisturizer and wear them overnight. it's truly not that comfortable lol but I haven't invested in a sit under dryer yet. either way the curls come out soooo pretty. I have the starter kit and I use the long and wide. you can check out this lady on youtube that uses them to see what i'm talking about.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsRx3DUazGQ

:yep:

I was going to come in here and say the same thing. I get the most consistent results with Curlformers.

Back