Naturals - Second Day Hair on Twistouts?

Avyn

I have tried, but I cannot get second day hair on my twistouts. I tried all kinds of scarfs, bonnets, but end up with a frizzy mess in the morning. I am thinking that it has to do with products. How can I get second day hair?

I think all the bonnets and scarves bunch your hair up, and that combined with middle of the night sweat makes it like a sauna in there.

I can get a week or more out of twistouts. At night, I lift all my hair up towards the top of my head and sleep either on the back of my head or on my side. Either way, my hair is not bunched up and most of it is not touching anything that would cause it to frizz.

This is why i just sleep on a satin pillow case, no scarf no bonnet. In addition if you want you can pin you hair to the top of your head as well...

I think all the bonnets and scarves bunch your hair up, and that combined with middle of the night sweat makes it like a sauna in there.

I can get a week or more out of twistouts. At night, I lift all my hair up towards the top of my head and sleep either on the back of my head or on my side. Either way, my hair is not bunched up and most of it is not touching anything that would cause it to frizz.

I do the same exact thing. I section it in 4, take 4 butterfly clips and clip directly on top of my head like a pineapple. I have no problems, my twistouts last for a week or more if needed.

My twistouts lasts at least 4 days. At night, I divide into about 6 - 8 sections, roll the ends on satin rollers, then tie them down with a scarf. I actually like the look best on day 2 or 3 when it looks a bit poof-ier. :grin:

I redo about 12 twists every night adding ORS olive oil moisturizer as needed to each section. Cover & go to sleep. In the morning I have a moisturized frizz free twistout.

I redo about 12 twists every night adding ORS olive oil moisturizer as needed to each section. Cover & go to sleep. In the morning I have a moisturized frizz free twistout.

I do the same if I am wearing my hair out...and I use a shea butter mix. That way, I can wear my t-o every day until wash day again...

My hair is shorter, and I probably do about 18 twists. It only takes about 15 minuts to re-twist.

cj

I do the same exact thing. I section it in 4, take 4 butterfly clips and clip directly on top of my head like a pineapple. I have no problems, my twistouts last for a week or more if needed.

My twistouts lasts at least 4 days. At night, I divide into about 6 - 8 sections, roll the ends on satin rollers, then tie them down with a scarf. I actually like the look best on day 2 or 3 when it looks a bit poof-ier. :grin:

Thanx to all the posters. So do you all sleep on a satin pillow case after you pin up your hair?

I do the same thing, except I use Cantu Shea Butter Moisturizer. My twist outs usually last all week doing this.

I do the pineapple thing with clips like many other ladies.

I also loosely flat twist my hair sometimes.

It never has quite as much bounce as day 1, but it looks nice until the next wash day.

For me, the only way I can get a lasting twistout is to either A) twist on wet hair or B) wash my twists and let them set.

Otherwise my 1 day twistout will look a shrunken mess after a few hours. Now I can wear a twist out for over a week.

When my hair was shorter, I would just pin the sides going back loosely--since I sleep on either side of my head. Now, I grab big sections and retwist loosely and then put on the satin bonnet--about 8 twists.

As my hair grows and my technique improves my twist outs last longer. I'm up to 3-5 days right now.

I twist and moisturize as needed with my homemade cocoshealoe mix. I wear my twists for up to 10 days. Cowashing as needed however it is essential to either cowash or rinse before the take down to "set" the pattern. When my twists are dry I take down with oily fingers and my hair does not see a comb as long as it's out.
Around day 3 i'll retwist the front because the pattern has been lost.
Nightly I just tie it down with a scarf. In the morning I fluff and go!

there is no day 2 of twist outs, you just gonna have to redo them. period

I completely disagree with this statement. I get three days minimum and five days maximum out of mine with no rebraiding; you can stretch it out even longer if you turn it into a puff.

I think the length of time you are able to rock a braidout has a lot to do with texture and technique. The more textured your hair is the longer the braid out will last. I also follow the following set of rules for defined braid outs (i.e. the ones that last the longest):

1) The smaller the braids, the more defined the braid outs.
2) The heavier handed I am with the product, the more defined the resulting braid out.
3) The wetter my hair is when I braid it, the more defined the resulting braid out.
4) If my hair is still damp when I take the braids out, the fluffier, less defined the resulting braid out.
5) There is a difference between having a defined braid out and having "big hair." The older a braid out is, the "bigger" my hair. If I take my braids out while my hair is still damp my hair will be big but look more like an Afro and less defined. My favorite braid outs are defined braid outs that are a couple of days old.

Tips for defined braid outs:
1) Don't take the braids out until the hair is completely dry.
2) Don't dry your hair artificially. I have natural hair and it takes my hair at least 6 hours to completely dry naturall when I have smaller braids. The smaller the braids the less time it takes for the hair to dry.
3) Consider doing a braid out on a a non wash week adding very little product to your hair. My best braid outs are when I wet my hair a week after washing and braid it up. I add very little oils to my hair at all.
4)I like the ends of braids to be curly so I just put a little shea (or whatever oil) on the end and twist a bit.
5) I only use shea butter and I have found that butters work better on my hair than oils.

I have seen some great braidouts ...and I have seen some not so great ones. :look: You can't expect to put four braids into your head and have the resulting braid out be defined or last that long. If you want a defined braidout that last for more then a day or two you need to take a bit more time into the braids.

I wear a black bonnett and refluff my hair in the morning.

ETA: Sorry, everywhere you see braid you can substitute twist. I do braidouts more often than twist outs (look neater, last longer, less tangles) so when I was typing I thought braids.

HTH

Last edited:
I think it also depends on whether you hair is fine or coarse. Ladies with more coarse hair are probably able to make twist outs last for longer than ladies with fine hair. I wear a twist out for 3-4 days without losing a lot of definition bc my hair is coarse. Even after that, my hair can remain out and loose until the next wash for about a week after initial wash/twist set.

I sleep everynight with loose hair on a silk (not satin) pillowcase

The products matter too! If you use a humectant moisturizer (i.e. glycerin based) the definition may not stay if you don't re-twist or re-braid. If I want to wear a braid out for multiple days I can only use a little bit of creamy moisturizer.

my twist outs/braid outs last 2 weeks usually.

I think the trick is starting with twists that were done really well and the use of appropriate products to hold the shape of your style. I use lotta body setting lotion.

I use a silk scarf and a bonnet. I use the silk scarf to secure the front and sides of my hair. Usually the back will not be completely protected so I follow by using a satin bonnet over my entire head. So essentially, I am wearing 2 coverings on my hair at the same time. My friend girls laughed at me when they see the whole shabang....

but I don't have to touch my hair for 2 weeks if I don't want to. In the mornings I shake and fluff. Ever so often I'll rub a little moisturizer. I love it.

I also must say, I am very very very picky when it comes to how my hair looks. So understand, I'm not walking around with a head of hair lookin like a birds nest. I also continue to get compliments a week into the hairstyle from people from all walks of life...so I guess you would have figured out by now that I completely disagree with some of the other posters but you can have a twist out that lasts beyond a day without manipulation.

I think I may have some pics on my fotki of 2 week old twist outs....I might be back with pics.

2 week old twist out. this time I used Cantu Shea Butter Leave-In
P1170194.jpg

(The gap you see in the back is because the very back of my hair is french rolled.)

also, here's how I wear my scarf (I add the bonnet closer to bed time).
P8301042.jpg

Note: Although the twist out above shows my hair is flat twisted in the front, I wear my head scarf in the same manner for all my full-head twist outs. I pin the front of my hair back and tie down.

Sorry the pics are so big. Not able to figure out the resizing code.

Last edited:
^^cute pic, WestNdnbeauty! lmao @ your "say something bout my scarf!" face

yea, i've found that they last the longest when I just sleep with them loose. and....i've got cotton pillowcases.

The products matter too! If you use a humectant moisturizer (i.e. glycerin based) the definition may not stay if you don't re-twist or re-braid. If I want to wear a braid out for multiple days I can only use a little bit of creamy moisturizer.

:yep: I use shea butter. The more water there is in a product the longer it takes to dry and the less defined it is. If I am looking for second or third day hair on day one (fluffier) because I am going to one event or something special I use a shea butter mix. Also, I think that second day hair is always the best. It's always fluffier and lighter than day 1 hair.

my twist outs/braid outs last 2 weeks usually.

I think the trick is starting with twists that were done really well and the use of appropriate products to hold the shape of your style. I use lotta body setting lotion.

I use a silk scarf and a bonnet. I use the silk scarf to secure the front and sides of my hair. Usually the back will not be completely protected so I follow by using a satin bonnet over my entire head. So essentially, I am wearing 2 coverings on my hair at the same time. My friend girls laughed at me when they see the whole shabang....

but I don't have to touch my hair for 2 weeks if I don't want to. In the mornings I shake and fluff. Ever so often I'll rub a little moisturizer. I love it.

I also must say, I am very very very picky when it comes to how my hair looks. So understand, I'm not walking around with a head of hair lookin like a birds nest. I also continue to get compliments a week into the hairstyle from people from all walks of life...so I guess you would have figured out by now that I completely disagree with some of the other posters but you can have a twist out that lasts beyond a day without manipulation.

I think I may have some pics on my fotki of 2 week old twist outs....I might be back with pics.

2 week old twist out. this time I used Cantu Shea Butter Leave-In
P1170194.jpg

(The gap you see in the back is because the very back of my hair is french rolled.)

also, here's how I wear my scarf (I add the bonnet closer to bed time).
P8301042.jpg

Note: Although the twist out above shows my hair is flat twisted in the front, I wear my head scarf in the same manner for all my full-head twist outs. I pin the front of my hair back and tie down.

Sorry the pics are so big. Not able to figure out the resizing code.

Your hair looks very pretty and you have a beautiful face.

As long as I use a little gel for hold when I do the twists it'll last for a week. I did a twistout on Friday and it still looks good today. I didn't cover it up at all the last few nights. Sometimes I use a bonnet if I remember. I hate retwisting every night though. I've only done that a few times.

Last edited:
Thanx to all the posters. So do you all sleep on a satin pillow case after you pin up your hair?

Yes, of course. Actually I just had a twist out in for 9 days and it would've lasted longer if it wasn't raining and if it wasn't time to wash. I also twist very neatly and don't really fluff on Day 1. Therefore, Day 1 hair is not that cute. Actually Day 3 is the best for me, that's when it starts to get the biggest. I have a busy work schedule and barely have time to wash and condition my hair so I would die if I had to re-twist every night. I also do the twist-n-curl method (white perm rods) which really helps it last longer to me.

I used to just sleep in a bonnet. And in the morning I would spritz it with water and fluff it with my fingers. It didn't look exactly the same as it looked the previous day, but that's kinda fun, I guess.

Back