Naturals and Swimming

soslychic

Ok this is my last naturals post I promise
smile.gif

Naturals 3/c- 4b and Swimming...no problem if you like the afro. i do like it on other women. It can look really really cute. It's just not my personal thang. So what do you do when you're with ya peeps and ya just got out of the pool and your braid out, twist out, pressed hair.....is a curlin' and a kinkin'? Ponytail? Hat? HELP!
laugh.gif

I would also like to know
I did not go swimming all last summer, but I would like to know what can be done.

I haven't done this yet but my idea is to put conditioner in my hair (to protect it) and then put it in a bun. That way, it's not all over my head. Or a ponytail would work just fine, too. Two braids would also probably be cute. I am sure there are things that can be done!

Ponytails or braids work for me. Sometimes I might use a butterfly clip. I always have a small bottle of conditioner wrapped in my towel and use as needed. It helps minimize the tangles and somewhat protects against chlorine damage.

soslychic, how are you planning to wear your hair when you are a natural? That is, what will be your everyday style?

Chichi
bdance.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Chichi said:
soslychic, how are you planning to wear your hair when you are a natural? That is, what will be your everyday style?

Chichi
bdance.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Chichi!
While I'm transitioning, it will probably be mostly styles like french braids, phony ponies, buns, and ponytails.
However, when I'm fully natural, I think I'd really like a big natural braid/twist out or I may try a curly rollerset like the some of the pics I saw in the book "Good Hair." I'd also like to rollerset/then lightly flat iron it every other weekend or so.

Knowing myself, I'd probably be changing all the time, so I really dunno what my "everyday" style would be. I just need to calm down so I will stop manipulation so much.

Girl, last year I went to Six Flags over Georgia and my hair was not even earlength yet. My hair was half an inch long in area where I had shaved and 4.5 good inches on the top. I went on all the water rides and my hair looked like Rayne Pryor's short hair.

It was everywhere, but I didn't care. There were thousands of people there staring at my hair that looked like a cross between stuck it in a socket, and scary curls. If it were longer I would have just ponytailed it, but I just went about my business. If you act like you don't care, people won't care too much either.

solslychic:

I live in Florida where I swim a lot. Here are my steps

1) coat hair with conditioner and jojoba oil before stepping into the pool.
2) I swim in braids, twists or ponytails.
3) I swim with a cute scarf with my hair either fully covered or peeping out down the back (My very, very coily hair is almost bra-strap length)

These steps minimize tangles, protect against chlorine and keep me looking good while I swim.

After a swim, I always rinse out that dreaded chlorine water.

HTH

coilgirl

Ok I know that this thread is from years ago, but I'm getting my hair flat-ironed before I go on a trip and I'll be very close to the ocean so I really want to go swimming, but I'm not really sure how to keep my hair dry ( a swimming cap makes sense I suppose)? If I condition it before I get into the water, it will get wet and revert back to it's old stage. What is a girl to do?

I have a TWA so its not going to matter for me but when it does affect me I am going to slather on the conditioner and then put it up, be it a french braid, flat 2 strand twists....and then take care of it when I get to the bathroom...

Missjksn21 said:
Ok I know that this thread is from years ago, but I'm getting my hair flat-ironed before I go on a trip and I'll be very close to the ocean so I really want to go swimming, but I'm not really sure how to keep my hair dry ( a swimming cap makes sense I suppose)? If I condition it before I get into the water, it will get wet and revert back to it's old stage. What is a girl to do?

Swimming caps are more for keeping your hair out of the pool than keeping you hair dry.

I don't know of any way to keep flat ironed hair from reverting while swimming.

I usually load my hair up with conditioner, to keep it from soaking up too much chlorinated water, put it in a braid or two and just go swimming. I wash afterward, to remove the chlorine and to get the extra conditioner out.

Maybe you should skip the flat ironing since you plan on swimming.

I am collarbone length...and I just saturate my hair with a cheapie conditioner and then put my hair in a ponytail puff and call it a day.

Back