Natural ladies with highlights/colored hair

pinkchocolatedaisy

Can I see some pics of your hair? And how do you maintain your hair being colored? Did your hair get damaged or do you still color/highlight and have healthy hair?

Thanks!

I had my hair highlighted last year. There are pictures in my fotki. I didn't really have any problems but I've since had all the highlights cut out. They made my ends crispy and I had to trim more often. I don't think I'd get them again.

Well every six weeks I would do an aphogee treatment, followed by a dc (of course) and sebastian colourshines to seal in the moisture and protect the hair. I think the new sebastian cellophanes can be used in place of the colourshines. With that you can continue with your regular hair care.

ETA: This is my hair color two weeks after I got it done.
142124499.jpg

This is with the sebastians colourshines. I can't remember which color though. It was a red one though.
159235398.jpg

I should also say that my stylist put a clear cellophane on my hair once I got my color as well. I don't have any pics of my color with my natural hair. I felt like I couldn't see it much with my hair in it's natural state. Well not in pics anyway. I'm going to go for more color again at an aveda salon this time for something brighter.

Last edited:
I color my hair all of the time and I have never had any problems. The key for me is to make sure my hair stays conditioned and moisturized at all times and min. heat. :grin:

My hair was previously colored light brown, and now it's black (also colored).

The color does make my hair drier. Noticeably. I just make sure to co-wash as needed, and I very, very rarely use shampoo. I ACV rinse after every wash, though, to seal my cuticle.

I coloured my hair recently about 2-3 weeks ago. I just deep condition and rinse my hair daily. If you look in my album.
Pword in profile

Mine is definitely permanent. Non-permanent color is no fun for me. It only shows up in the sun and I want to see it all the time.:drunk: I had highlights in my hair. It's growing out though (read: been slowly cut out with trims/cuts and the cuts/trims weren't because of the color :ohwell:).

I had my hair colored about 2 years ago when I first went natural but it made my hair super dry. I used Garnier 100% color. I dyed it black with henna and indigo and have been doing that ever since.

Me too! Anyone with highlights? I"m especially interested in that.

I had highlights about a year ago. I tried to find pictures where you could see them good. When my hair was wet you couldn't really see them. But when dry it looked light brown/almost blonde. The color was called Buttercream.

CIMG2078-vi.jpg

CIMG2161-vi.jpg

189752419589-vi.jpg

196342096005-vi.jpg

Can I see some pics of your hair? And how do you maintain your hair being colored? Did your hair get damaged or do you still color/highlight and have healthy hair?

Thanks!
I'm transitioning, and I get permanent color. I've never had any damage from it. My stylist does it for me. There's a pic in my siggy. I do a weekly deep condition. I think it helps.

There are some gorgeous heads in here! Color didn't treat my hair well, but then again, I wasn't doing what I was suppose to be doing either.

Yes, that was my probably before too. I washed only once a week- someties 2wks passed before I did and I didn't give my hair the moisture it needed. But I think I will definitely be better this time- thanks to all you wonderful ladies!

btw, your hair is absolutely goregous! I have been stalking your site... it's the inspiration I need to remain natural and not even think of getting relaxed ever again. :grin:

There are some gorgeous heads in here! Color didn't treat my hair well, but then again, I wasn't doing what I was suppose to be doing either.

My hair is highlighted. I use coconut oil almost daily, cowash often and DT regularly. The key to color is CONDITION, CONDITION, CONDITION.

I've retained the length I've acquired since getting the color in April/May. My highlights are more of auburn color.

OK, color to me was the devil until I found out the one I was using was very damaging. I actually got a demi color which washes out in a few weeks if you poo much, which I don't.:grin: It is the fist time my hair did not get damaged from me coloring it myself. Unfortunately, I can't remember who makes it.:rolleyes::wallbash::lachen:

I had highlights. I got them done in Aug. 2007. I love them I plan on getting them redone when I have some money. I have pictures in my album (link is in my siggy, no pw needed) in my Aug. 2007 album.

Back