Natural ladies - how often do you go to the salon?

Natural ladies - how often do you go to the salon?

• Never! I'm completely self-styled!

Votes: 97 89.8%
  • Once every 6-8 weeks

Votes: 8 7.4%
  • Once a month

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Every two weeks

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Every week

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Glib Gurl

I know that folks talk a lot about how going natural reduces how much you spend on your hair. But between my PJism and trips to the salon to get flat twists or other styles, I still spend a pretty penny. I'd say it's about the same as when I was relaxed as I seem to get frustrated enough to head to the salon every 6-8 weeks *lol*

What about you? How often do you go to the salon?

I will *probably* go to a salon at the end of this year for a blow dry/flat iron and a trim. That will be the first time in three years.

Twice or three times a year for twist extensions or another braided long term style. I really need to know how to self- cornrow cause I dread going.

So far in 2012 I've been to a salon 3 times (3 different salons) for a blow out/flat iron and I tried 2 other stylists for extensions (one salon, one home stylist).

January - blow out
February - kinky twists
March - senegalese twists
July - blow out
September - blow out

I have never been a salon goer...I can count on 1 hand the number of times Ive been to a salon in my whole live lol.

When Im totally natural, Ill probably get it flat ironed professionally a few times a year. I couldnt get my relaxed or texlaxed hair to stay straight for more than a few days, so I know good and well I wont be able to get my natural hair straight and make it last a week or two. Then again Im super afraid of heat damage so I may not straighten at all.

Never and I am saving much more money than I use too. Don't think I'll ever go to one again. It's already been two years. Use to go every two weeks.

I mostly do twist styles so I don't need to go the salon for that. I used to go yearly for a flat iron but even they couldn't get my hair straight and only damaged it further so I stopped with that. The same deal with extension-it only messed up my edges and crown.

Perhaps just try to watch Youtube videos to get the hang of doing styles on your hair. Or invest in a mannequin or wig with your hair type to practice on.

I know that folks talk a lot about how going natural reduces how much you spend on your hair. But between my PJism and trips to the salon to get flat twists or other styles, I still spend a pretty penny. I'd say it's about the same as when I was relaxed as I seem to get frustrated enough to head to the salon every 6-8 weeks *lol*

What about you? How often do you go to the salon?

Before my hhj I used to go every 8 weeks or so to get a new style or touch up an old one. I have always done my own hair, but I used to feel the salon was better. Now I don't go at all. I may treat myself one day but it will have to be someone that really knows how to treat my hair.

I go at least once a month. I cant cornrow and I like to get a nice updo that I can keep in for 2 weeks, then the rest of the month I'm in twists that I do myself and twist outs

When I had locs I would go to my lactic in almost monthly for the first 5 yrs, then she moved. I haven't stepped foot in a salon since September '07.

Never, and when I was relaxed I was at the salon weekly. Now, I haven't been since 2010, and have no plans of ever going back....ever. No ones going to do it like I like, so why bother?

I voted never but that's because I only went when I needed to get my ends trimmed which was earlier this year. My family wants me to go when I get home though

Last edited:
Twice a year to get my ends clipped or hair cut depending on how i feel and my hair shaped. Last went in August and got a hair cut.

Last edited:
As of this summer it will be more along the lines of 6-8 weeks for a dusting. I finally found a salon that will not hack my hair off, and as my hair is getting longer I can't seem to dust evenly any more:perplexed

Last edited:
I've only been once the whole entire time I was natural and that was to get rid "the mullet". I have no plans on going back any time soon though.

I've been 2x. Once for a trim & once because I didn't feel like straightening my own hair...I'm 99.9% DIY & loving it

I go once every 6 - 8 weeks to have a little professional reassurance and to trim my ends if it's needed. Plus it's nice to get a break and have someone else handle this beast every once in a while, LOL.

NappyNelle

It was an okay experience. However, my Senegalese twists started slipping out within a week.

A kinky twists style I had done the month prior took 5 hours (103 twists for $100) while the Senegalese twists (73 twists, also $100) took 8 hours to install. There was a second day of touching up as well, and adding different hair. That took an additional 3.5 hours so 11.5 hours total for Senegalese twists over 2 days.

My other braider told me that she could have my hair done in about 5 hours. She did a curly twists style for me a while back in 3 hours so I do believe her estimate but her fee is $200.

Back