My twistouts are crunchy

Avyn

What should I do? I'm a natural 4a/b and I have tried everything for a soft twistout and cannot find a product to give me touchable hair with hold. I live in a really dry climate, so anything with glycerin is :sad:. How can I get touchable, long lasting twistouts?

Have you tried scrunching your twistouts with your hands after they have set.

There are times when my hair feels crunching after a twistout--I'll squeeze my hair until the crunch is gone.

Does that make sense?

I have this same problem! I was thinking about maybe spritzing the twist-out with a little water and aloe vera juice..just a tiny bit to soften it up

i haven't tried this yet though

I think a good twistout starts with product. I only do a twistout on wash day in the summer, which is once a week. I put in my leave-in and seal with oil. During the week I mist with a mini spray bottle before showering and let the steam get it to for extra moisture. Usually mid-week, I will rinse my hair with water and add a little more leave-in, daily still misting and allowing the steam to get to my hair. By the end of the week, my twistout is defined and soft.

So I guess my question is, what are you using to twist? Are you allowing moisture to reach your hair?

Or, are you twisting nightly, then doing a twistout in the morning? If so, any gel, will make your twistout crunchy. If you use shampoo, you can always try to set your twistout with Let's Jam, on damp hair. When I used this in the past, it had great hold and I didn't have a need to re-twist nightly. I would just wrap my hair and shake it out in the am.

I usually use coconut oil and a conditioner that I happen to have on hand. I like using just the coconut oil by itself to get soft, shiny results but then I'd have no hold and it only lasts 1 day. I haven't had success with gels. They make my hair dry.

I just did my best twistout to date on my DD, who has combo 3c/4a/4b hair (mostly 4a I think).

I DC'd and detangled really well, and while her hair was wet I sectioned it into 8 or 9 braids. I then took down each braid, applied SM Restorative leave-in, sealed with our mix of WGO & castor oil, then put 4 twists in each taken down section using homemade flaxseed gel.

I left the twists in overnight and removed them in the am. This was on Saturday. Her hair was SO soft and moisturized....better than it's ever been with a twist out. She even forgot to moisturize it a couple of days this week, and it still felt great the next day! 5 days later, her hair still feels and looks great, and her twist out is still defined.

I'm positive the flaxseed gel was the difference because we've never had results like this before with a twist out. It does an amazing job of moisturizing and providing hold and definition. HTH

Do you use the conditioner first to soften or moisturize the hair first and then use the oil on top of that? Or do you use the coconut oil on dry hair? I usually use a homemade water based hair spritzer and then and then some oil over that on my twists.

Is your hair retaining moisture well in the first place? You can pile product on top of product, but if you hair isn't retaining moisture, you have to address that. What are you currently doing? Do you have buildup that needs to be clarified?

Back