My Sexy Black Henna/Indigo Hair (PICS INSIDE)

BeautifulFlower

UPDATE! I have a new abbreviation for henna/indigo hair HIN hair. Its easier for me...

I henna'd and indigo hair. It came out beautifully. I apply glycerin and castor oil after. Blinging Hair!

Recipe for Henna:

1.5 boxes Jamila Henna Powder from Indian Grocery Store (Just enough for APL, thick hair)

Enough HOT water to make oatmeal consistency

1 Juiced Lemon

1 tablespoon of ACV

.5 box of Hesh Amla powder

1 tablespoon of Amla oil

Stir to yogurt consistency. I let it sit over night and applied it in the morning. Apply to hair and place shower cap and head wrap on hair. Dressed cute to compliment the wrap and went to church and did other errands. Left on about 4 to 5 hours. Washed it out with a bottle of V05 conditioner (LOVE LOVE LOVE V05 conditioners)

Recipe for Indigo

Prepare this after you wash hair out

1 packet of Indigo

Enough HOT water to make yogurt consistency

1 tablespoon of Amla oil

2 to 3 tablespoons of SEA SALT (not table salt)

Apply IMMEDIATELY to WET HAIR. Place on shower cap and head wrap. Left on about 1.5 hours. Wash out with V05 conditioner and Shikakai shampoo bar (really gets out the extra). Last step with conditioner to re-soften hair.

Its an all day process but the results are worth it. I have my all natural color and conditioning. My hair is finally black the way I want it and its strong. I bearly shed or broke a hair during the entire process. I have a hair catcher for my shower and the thing was nearly empty.

Last edited:
Your hair looks great. I'm trying to get my hair that color with Henna/Indigo. :yep:

You can and the tips here helped made this one successful. This was my 3rd henna and 2nd indigo. The first indigo I was a bit disappointed because of certain steps i didnt take. This time, I am in love.

I henna'd and indigo hair. I came our beautifully. I apply glycerin and castor oil after. Blinging Hair!

Recipe for Henna:

1.5 boxes Jamila Henna Powder from Indian Grocery Store (Just enough for APL, thick hair)

1 Juiced Lemon

1 tablespoon of ACV

1 tablespoon of Amla oil

Stir to yogurt consistency. I let it sit over night and applied it in the morning. Apply to hair and place shower cap and head wrap on hair. Dressed cute to compliment the wrap and went to church and did other errands. Left on about 4 to 5 hours. Washed it out with a bottle of V05 conditioner (LOVE LOVE LOVE V05 conditioners)

Recipe for Indigo

1 packet of Indigo

1 tablespoon of Amla oil

Apply IMMEDIATELY to WET HAIR. Place on shower cap and head wrap. Left on about 1.5 hours. Wash out with V05 conditioner and Shikakai shampoo bar (really gets out the extra). Last step with conditioner to re-soften hair.

Its an all day process but the results are worth it. I have my all natural color and conditioning. My hair is finally black the way I want it and its strong. I bearly shed or broke a hair during the entire process. I have a hair catcher for my shower and the thing what nearly empty.

STP82305-vi.jpg

STP82289-vi.jpg

STP82302-vi.jpg

Love your color and shine.. Dang, your hair is gorgeous..:yep:

OMG............:pant::pant:

:Flahsssss:love3::lovedrool: Girl, thw papparazzi will start stalking you!!!!!:love3:

Beautiful!

Question - Why the sea salt in the indigo recipe?????

You did a great job. It looks great! Very shiny. I might actually try this your way. I have been thinking about going black.

I henna'd and indigo hair. It came out beautifully. I apply glycerin and castor oil after. Blinging Hair!

Recipe for Henna:

1 Juiced Lemon

1 tablespoon of ACV

1 tablespoon of Amla oil

Recipe for Indigo

1 packet of Indigo

1 tablespoon of Amla oil

Its an all day process but the results are worth it. I have my all natural color and conditioning. My hair is finally black the way I want it and its strong. I bearly shed or broke a hair during the entire process. I have a hair catcher for my shower and the thing was nearly empty.

STP82305-vi.jpg

STP82289-vi.jpg

STP82302-vi.jpg

I LOVE IT!

Looks beautiful!! I subscribed so I can try your recipe next weekend (though I may not have my indigo by then). Anyway, do you apply the henna to dry/unwashed hair, wet/washed hair, or dry/washed hair?

Thanks so much.

Beautiful! I hope I can gather the guts to do my first henna/indigo soon! You just reminded me. I need to go to an Indian store and get some henna - or just buy the Henna square from LUSH.

This came out soooo good, it looks,so pretty!

Thanks for listing out the steps, when I did the two step process my hair was still brownish red.....maybe I did not leave the indigo on long enough...

LOL yes your hair is looking very sexy. Beautiful hair! I might have to try that henna/indigo stuff one of these days.

It looks really nice. Do you know how many grams of henna and whatever else they added to get it black (cassia?) is in each box? I was looking at recommended amounts at mehandi.com and it seems like they recommend so much. I think when I tried henna that one time 200 grams was enough to coat my hair, but for my hair they seem to recommend 300 - 400 grams of each for my length, with dying your hair with henna first and then dying with cassia.

It looks really nice. Do you know how many grams of henna and whatever else they added to get it black (cassia?) is in each box? I was looking at recommended amounts at mehandi.com and it seems like they recommend so much. I think when I tried henna that one time 200 grams was enough to coat my hair, but for my hair they seem to recommend 300 - 400 grams of each for my length, with dying your hair with henna first and then dying with cassia.

I'm not sure how much the OP used. I just wanted to add that when I henna'd. I used 300 grams of henna, and 300 grams of indigo. It was barely enough for my hair. At the time, my hair was a little above APL, but really thick. HTH

that look GORGEOUS!!!...i am thinking of dying my hair black at the end of the year when I get my touchup. i wonder do you need to do the henna in order to do the indigo? i'm kinda scared of henna now b/c it caused my hair to go into protein overload from me using it to much

Thank you to Everyone! I feel so loved!:grin::yay::Flahsssss:trampolin

Looks beautiful!! I subscribed so I can try your recipe next weekend (though I may not have my indigo by then). Anyway, do you apply the henna to dry/unwashed hair, wet/washed hair, or dry/washed hair?

Thanks so much.

You have to apply it to dry hair. Doesnt matter if its washed or not. Indigo you apply to your wet hair.

Beautiful! I hope I can gather the guts to do my first henna/indigo soon! You just reminded me. I need to go to an Indian store and get some henna - or just buy the Henna square from LUSH.

I was very scared the first time. Now I am hooked. Kinda like sex.... I dont that anymore though:look:

This came out soooo good, it looks,so pretty!

Thanks for listing out the steps, when I did the two step process my hair was still brownish red.....maybe I did not leave the indigo on long enough...

Doing the plastic cap and head wrap makes a difference if you dont wanna sit under a dryer. Thats my NO HEAT way of creating heat in the scalp. The heat makes it stain darker too.

I dont follow there recommendation. 150 grams of henna and 50 grams of Amla does the trick. Amla keeps the henna from drying your hair out. For Indigo, one pack does it and you can use yogurt to stretch it a little more. With the wet hair it spreads on better so I actually had a bit left over for my mom to use.

How much did you pay for a box of Henna? A box of Indigo? Thanks.

1.99 per box. I brought the indigo online from www.hennaforhair.com. I dont remember the price. I use one pack at a time and buy 3 packs at a time.

Your hair came out beautifully...love the texture!!

:grin:Thanks!

I'm not sure how much the OP used. I just wanted to add that when I henna'd. I used 300 grams of henna, and 300 grams of indigo. It was barely enough for my hair. At the time, my hair was a little above APL, but really thick. HTH

I create my mixtures so I dont have to use that much powder. and I have thick past APL hair. I recently got a relaxer so that helps with application portions. I like to do my henna/indigo after a relaxer. It restores the strength 100%.

Beautiful hair :bling:.

Thank you! Thank you!

that look GORGEOUS!!!...i am thinking of dying my hair black at the end of the year when I get my touchup. i wonder do you need to do the henna in order to do the indigo? i'm kinda scared of henna now b/c it caused my hair to go into protein overload from me using it to much

YES! At first....After the first henna you can just do indigo. The indigo needs the henna to bond. Because I do my applications every 3 months I do a henna again and indigo to get the new growth. I know Sacera (Henna/Indigo Queen) said in a thread does only indigo now. I am a little afraid of that. It has the potential to turn your hair blue.

Gorgeous!

Awesome results.

Thanks ladies!:grin:

now, this is HOT!

Back