My New Tree Braids!!!

MomofThreeBoys

I had tree braids put in last night!:yay: I am soooooooo happy with them. :grin: I decided to experiment a little and went way lighter than I've ever gone. The package said 1B/27.

Everybody at work is like Ooooo La La!:lol: The girl who did them is a genius at tree braids. She took 2 hours and 20 minutes to do them and this includes two 5 -10 minutes breaks to take care of her kids. She didn't pull to tight (I'm usually crying when people braid my edges!) but they look tight! Total Cost:$100.

My sister got her tree braids done by the same girl and she kept them in for 6 weeks. I'm shooting for the same amount of time. I plan on using sea breeze and Sta So Fro on my roots. Check out the pics in my fotki album under protective styles!

Last edited:
How cute! I've never heard of tree braids but the style and color fit your face to a "T".

Congrats on the new style!

natalied said:
Thanks!
Yes. How would you do it otherwise?

Oh ok. I think I saw someone else with them one time and she had the front fixed some kind of way where you couldn't see the front. Other than that, you're the second person I've seen with them. I wonder if there's a place here in Detroit that does them. :scratchch

Thanks Tami,Robin41 and bee! As you can tell, I am sooooooo excited!:woot:

CandiceC, was it someone on this board who fixed the front of their tree braids? I'd love to see how they did it!

CandiceC said:
Oh ok. I think I saw someone else with them one time and she had the front fixed some kind of way where you couldn't see the front. Other than that, you're the second person I've seen with them. I wonder if there's a place here in Detroit that does them. :scratchch

No. I went the cheap route! I used Body Wave Switch which is a 100% Toyokalon hair aka "Pony Hair".

You can use human hair with tree braids but you have to get a high quality otherwise it will tangle.

Hair2day said:
Natalied, did you use human hair to achieve this look? I love it, love it, love it!!

Tree braids are another type of braiding like box braids, micros, etc. The braider adds extensions to your own hair while braiding. Basically tree braids are cornrows with extensions. What makes tree braids so unique is that as the braider is cornrowing your hair with the synthetic or human hair, she is pulling the "fake" hair out of the cornrow. Hence the name tree braids. The cornrow is the "trunk" and the "fake hair" pulled out are the "limbs".

The advantages of tree braids are
1) Protective style, 99% of you hair is in the cornrow. (While she is pulling the "fake" hair out a few of your strands might be pulled out as well)
2) Only 2-3 hours to braid (I have about 25 cornrows). Short time compared to micros or box baids.
3) Versalitity. If you get them done with human hair, you can use all sort of hot tools you would never use on your own hiar. If you use synthetic, i.e. pony hair, you can still you hot rollers for a curlier look. Do not use a curling iron!!!
4) With proper care will last 4-8 weeks
5) cheap compared to micros

Downsides
1) You really shouldn't wash tree braids frequently. If you do, they will not last very long. I will probably do 1 wash at the 3 week mark.
2) Unlike micros, you cannot leave tree braids in for 3 monts!! Your hair will be a matted mess!!!
HTH

karezone said:
What are tree braids?

Last edited:
natalied said:
No. I went the cheap route! I used Body Wave Switch which is a 100% Toyokalon hair aka "Pony Hair".

You can use human hair with tree braids but you have to get a high quality otherwise it will tangle.

To me pony hair and shampooing don't mix well so be careful.

Thanks! She does them at her house. All she does is tree braids out of her home. She gave up doing all other types of braids. $100 fro 2.5 hours worth of work? I can see why!

kitty18 said:
Very nice Natalie! Did the girl do them at her house or at a shop?

natalied said:
I had tree braids put in last night!:yay: I am soooooooo happy with them. :grin: I decided to experiment a little and went way lighter than I've ever gone. The package said 1B/27.

Everybody at work is like Ooooo La La!:lol: The girl who did them is a genius at tree braids. She took 2 hours and 20 minutes to do them and this includes two 5 -10 minutes breaks to take care of her kids. She didn't pull to tight (I'm usually crying when people braid my edges!) but they look tight! Total Cost:$100.

My sister got her tree braids done by the same girl and she kept them in for 6 weeks. I'm shooting for the same amount of time. I plan on using sea breeze and Sta So Fro on my roots. Check out the pics in my fotki album under protective styles!

hey where u go to get em did for 100 bucks??? was this a lady at a salon or in a private home?

Your hair looks great. My cousin had some tree braids and and I loved her's also and i've been tempted ever since to get them myself.

Back