My hair smells burnt after I use heat...

shellzfoshizzle

Whenever I flat iron my hair it smells burnt afterwards so I don't like to do it. Mind you, I hardly ever use heat and whenever I do my hair stinks! What does this mean? I use oil, and I even use a spray on glosser/heat protectant spray.

I think after all my curls are worn out, I'm going to flat iron it. But I can't stand it when my hair stinks, especially when it smells burnt! Does this mean it's wayyy too hot?

it's probably the oils and products you use gettting "cooked"...i know i've used coconut oil to flat iron my natural hair before and my hair smelled like i'd fried chicken on it lol.

but when i had a relaxer all i'd use to flat iron was isoplus oil sheen and it never smelled like that. so i guess it depends on what you use.

What hot tool are you using on your hair that's causing this problem? I would get that burnt hair smell when I used tools that weren't ceramic. Now that I use a ceramic flat iron, I don't have that problem anymore. In the past, I always attributed it to the heating tool being too hot and the burnt hair scent coming from the fact that I was actually burning my hair.

You said that you would curl your hair after your curls wore out, well if you always do this then this maybe your answer, your hair is dirty I guess from the oils and stuff and applying heat to it can make it smell like someone pressing dirty old hair,:eek: . If you are flat ironing clean freshly washed hair then it may be curling iron that needs to be cleaned from a buildup of hair products. Try using just a light oil like Biosilk or Fantascia IC, and nothing else. HTH's

BeautifulWideEyes said:
You said that you would curl your hair after your curls wore out, well if you always do this then this maybe your answer, your hair is dirty I guess from the oils and stuff and applying heat to it can make it smell like someone pressing dirty old hair,:eek: . If you are flat ironing clean freshly washed hair then it may be curling iron that needs to be cleaned from a buildup of hair products. Try using just a light oil like Biosilk or Fantascia IC, and nothing else. HTH's

OH no! I meant I will wash my hair and rollerset it/dry it AND THEN flat iron it. I would never flat iron dirty hair! lol

Cincysweetie said:
What hot tool are you using on your hair that's causing this problem? I would get that burnt hair smell when I used tools that weren't ceramic. Now that I use a ceramic flat iron, I don't have that problem anymore. In the past, I always attributed it to the heating tool being too hot and the burnt hair scent coming from the fact that I was actually burning my hair.

My flat iron is from target...a vidal sasson flat iron, i think it cost me like $17 and i've used it probably three times, so it's not that dirty :ohwell: I would LOVE :love: to invest in a ceramic flat iron. I don't know the pros and cons of it, but it sounds expensive. I'm broke phi broke right now so i'ma have to save up for that one.

Don't use ANY product on your hair. And use a ceramic flat iron. This should eliminate any burnt smell. You can always add a little of oil or serum AFTER you're done flat ironing.

LOL,:lachen: , sorry I was trying to figure out what it could be.
shellzfoshizzle said:
OH no! I meant I will wash my hair and rollerset it/dry it AND THEN flat iron it. I would never flat iron dirty hair! lol
:lachen:

Mine will do this even when I use my $150 flat iron. But it only does this when I use WGO, which I LOVE to use because of the shine. It does not do this if I use my Keracare pressing cream, but that just does not give me the shine I prefer.

Target has a $25 Revlon ceramic iron that is good.

Burnt smelling hair after washing has also happened to me.
After awhile the smell tapers off.

It never smells burnt when I flat iron my hair.
Only when I press it with it hot comb....

Haha!! My bathroom smells like waffles after I'm done pressing if I use an oil on my hair!
Anymore I just use a mix of pantene conditioner and the oil, hair is soft and no waffles, lol!

Back