My Flat Iron Setback...

lonei

Hi ladies

I washed my hair last week and decided to set my hair on 3 inch magnetic rollers with salerm 21 and NTM leave in. I thought it would be much quicker and easier but boy was I wrong. It was harder to comb through the larger sections of wet hair and it did not fit under the dryer properly. After 2 hours it was very frizzy (my hair is underprocessed) and some parts were very slightly damp. Anyway, i proceeded to flat iron with no extra product, this is usually fine but when I was finished it looked very dry and a lot of hair was coming out which is unusual after a wash. Now the last few inches look and feel thin to me. I'm not sure whether to cut them off or to just leave it and grow it out, this is the no-lye section (the rest is lye-underprocessed). What should I do?

Pics are in May 2006 album.

I don't think you should cut the ends yet. I would wait until your next wash and see how your ends feel after styling the way you normally do. They could just feel dry and thin because of the way you styled your hair this time.

I just added some more pics I took just now, this is what it looks like 6 days later combed all back, do I need to cut about 4 inches or should I just wait till I next relax and trim from there? I am 6 weeks post here.

lonei said:
Hi ladies

I washed my hair last week and decided to set my hair on 3 inch magnetic rollers with salerm 21 and NTM leave in. I thought it would be much quicker and easier but boy was I wrong. It was harder to comb through the larger sections of wet hair and it did not fit under the dryer properly. After 2 hours it was very frizzy (my hair is underprocessed) and some parts were very slightly damp. Anyway, i proceeded to flat iron with no extra product, this is usually fine but when I was finished it looked very dry and a lot of hair was coming out which is unusual after a wash. Now the last few inches look and feel thin to me. I'm not sure whether to cut them off or to just leave it and grow it out, this is the no-lye section (the rest is lye-underprocessed). What should I do?

Pics are in May 2006 album.

Lonei, I'm sorry to hear about your flatiron situation. I've never used one so I can't be of help with that.

When rollersetting in larger rollers, larger sections of hair is not necessary in each roller. The hair sections can be exactly the same as what you are used to, just in larger rollers to help increase drying time. There need not be any other change in your regimen.

Also, if using a hood dryer, it must be large enough to accomodate large rollers. My ION hard and soft bonnet dryers do allow for larger rollers (although I prefer to airdry my rollersets).

If I were in your situation, I would have rolled my damp hair back up and let it airdry in the rollerset. We can always redo a rollerset if our hair isn't quite dry and it will work just fine.

LovelyZ said:
I don't think you should cut the ends yet. I would wait until your next wash and see how your ends feel after styling the way you normally do. They could just feel dry and thin because of the way you styled your hair this time.

I second this...step away from the scissors....step away from the scissors.

I would wash and condition and dry (however you choose to do it), then reassess your end. At that point if you want to trim go ahead but not 4 inches, I would do a .5-1 inch though I think .5 inch is enough to start with.

The other reason the ends could be looking thinner is because you are texlaxed now. I posted a thread about this earlier this week so I had my sister give me a small trim (.5 inch) and I feel much better about the ends now.

RabiaElaine said:
I second this...step away from the scissors....step away from the scissors.

I would wash and condition and dry (however you choose to do it), then reassess your end. At that point if you want to trim go ahead but not 4 inches, I would do a .5-1 inch though I think .5 inch is enough to start with.

The other reason the ends could be looking thinner is because you are texlaxed now. I posted a thread about this earlier this week so I had my sister give me a small trim (.5 inch) and I feel much better about the ends now.

Yeah, I think your right, I will re-evaluate after my next wash, but things will be a lot clearer after my next relaxer. Thanks

Back