More bun questions and my alternative to air drying

leona2025

So since I'm focusing on not using heat, I've been trying to find alternative ways to do my hair. I usually co-wash and air dry, but I didn't feel like going to be with wet hair and I want to do another donut bun for class today. I found that I have to co wash maybe 3 times a week lately to keep my hair looking good without heat.

So last night after I co washed I put my hair in the usual ponytail that I airdry in and I geled the front down with IC Fantasia clear gel and mango butter. I tied it down with my wave makers, lol, and I got under the dryer for about 20 minutes. My hair was about 75% dry so I did the bun. It looks great and it's so shiny, I'll post pictures later today.

1. What do you guys put on the ends of your hair when you bun to keep them protected.
2. Are donut buns truely a protective style?

I put Hawaiian Silky on my ends, sometimes I'll seal with a little JBCO

Doughnut buns are a protective style because your ends are still tucked away. Just make sure you don't use a regular sock because it'll zap the moisture out of your ends. Dontspeakdefeat has a fantastic solution to this, she has a tutorial in her fotki. She uses a foam doughnut from Sally's and wraps braid hair around the doughnut. So it looks like the doughnut is just regular ol hair. Blends in perfectly :D When I first started out, that bun was a lifesaver! BillyJay also has a good solution called the PlastiBun where she wraps saran wrap around the fake bun. I haven't tried it, but people love it :yep:

Also make sure that you don't use a cotton scrunchie to secure the bun, use a satin one from CVS, Walgreens or Walmart. Or if you can't find one, soak a cotton scrunchie in oil. This will prevent the scrunchie from drying your ends out.

So since I'm focusing on not using heat, I've been trying to find alternative ways to do my hair. I usually co-wash and air dry, but I didn't feel like going to be with wet hair and I want to do another donut bun for class today. I found that I have to co wash maybe 3 times a week lately to keep my hair looking good without heat.

So last night after I co washed I put my hair in the usual ponytail that I airdry in and I geled the front down with IC Fantasia clear gel and mango butter. I tied it down with my wave makers, lol, and I got under the dryer for about 20 minutes. My hair was about 75% dry so I did the bun. It looks great and it's so shiny, I'll post pictures later today.

1. What do you guys put on the ends of your hair when you bun to keep them protected. I have been bunning 95% of the time since July 2008 and the way I protect my ends is to put my ends in a baggie, and then just cover the baggie with a scarf.

2. Are donut buns truely a protective style? I only use my donut bun when I want to switch up from my baggie/scarf method. To me the donut buns soaks up moisture from the hair because of the sock in it and pannyhole covering it, so when I do use the donut bun I like to do it on damp hair and coat my hair with extra oil

I daily co-wash and have been since jan this year; this has helped me get much thicker hair, and retain all my ends. I daily bun/baggie, when my waves show I slick it down with FOTE aloe vera gel.

I put Hawaiian Silky on my ends, sometimes I'll seal with a little JBCO

Doughnut buns are a protective style because your ends are still tucked away. Just make sure you don't use a regular sock because it'll zap the moisture out of your ends. Dontspeakdefeat has a fantastic solution to this, she has a tutorial in her fotki. She uses a foam doughnut from Sally's and wraps braid hair around the doughnut. So it looks like the doughnut is just regular ol hair. Blends in perfectly :D When I first started out, that bun was a lifesaver! BillyJay also has a good solution called the PlastiBun where she wraps saran wrap around the fake bun. I haven't tried it, but people love it :yep:

Also make sure that you don't use a cotton scrunchie to secure the bun, use a satin one from CVS, Walgreens or Walmart. Or if you can't find one, soak a cotton scrunchie in oil. This will prevent the scrunchie from drying your ends out.

I took a sponge bun wrapped it in a sock and then double wrappped it in two wave caps and oiled the whole thing. I did inspected it for broken hairs when I took it out and I found only one and think that was do to my roughness. Thanks for telling me about the tutorials I'm going to check them out.

Back