Moisturizing products with a lots of hold + techniques for defined twist-out?

AmyRose92

Hi ladies!

I want to start wearing my hair out more often and I really want to start doing twist-outs, braid-outs, etc. but I'm not skilled in styling my hair at ALL :spinning: I don't know if it's because I'm using the product on damp hair instead of dry hair or something, but I just can't seem to get defined twist-outs. They end up poofing out like crazy and I don't want to waste precious time doing twists just to have the style not come out the way I want it to. The only product I've used so far is Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie and it makes my hair soft but as soon as I start separating, I lose all my definition.

So can anyone recommend moisturizing products with good hold? Or some tips on how to achieve a defined twist out?

For an elongated, yet defined twist out I would wash and deep condition. On damp hair, apply Oyin Handmade's shine & Define, and flat twist in the direction you'd like the lose style to fall. Add satin rollers , or flexirods to the ends of the twists. Release when hair is full dry. For even more shine, untwist with a quart-sized amount of coconut oil on your strands. Works well for me!

Keracare twist and define cream. This give my hair moisture and hold when I do my twist-outs.

Sent from my PG06100 using PG06100

For the best twistout, i need to use 2 products: one for moisture, one for hold. I have yet to find that magical product that has both qualities...

For moisture: Silken Child Moisturizing Cream, or any good ol cheapie conditioner (like Suave)

For hold: Dove Body & Lift Mousse (:love:), or any good setting foam.

My twistouts look better once my hair has been stretched by blowdrying with a comb. Twist on freshly, washed, conditioned and blowdried hair.

I remember someone on here revealed their secret to defined twist-outs. They mentioned that they made three small twists and braided them, and continued to do this throughout the hair. I've tried this and ended up with super defined twists that lasts a week and some change. It looks different from a regular twist out, because its so defined. Before I found this method, I had trouble defining my twist-outs too.

My hair in the front, sides, and lower back is very loose and less kinkier then the the rest of my hair. I only unravel the twists in those areas once, if I do it twice my hair will be a big poofy mess. The rest of my hair I'll unravel twice to make my hair look bigger.

Also carefully and gently separate the twists. I usually unravel from the top of the twist. Don't grab individual hairs to untwist. I just grab the two individual twists and unwind them. Also try different sized twists. Only medium sized twists work for me unless I do the method I mentioned above. I never seem to get defined twist-outs with small twists.

East African Shea butter
Giovanni direct leave in
Coconut oil
Those work for me as leave ins for braidout twistout and I prefer braidout results to twistout bc my hair is curly so springy twists don't do anything to stretch out the curl and add hangtime for me.
The best way to get definition is to braid twist medium sections maybe even flat twist or African braids then let it dry then when unbraiding use a little oil on the length. This will hold all day and if you have a good nighttime routine the next day too with no effort.

Last edited:
For defined twistouts on blow dries hair I have a couple of products that I like from super cheapie to somewhat pricier:

Suave Professionals Sleek Anti-Frizz Cream $2.99 but this may have been discontinued as I haven't been able to find it in stores in a couple of weeks :ohwell:
GVP Smoothing Ultimate Styling Creme $6.29 this one like the Suave above is the cheapie version of Matrix sleek look.
Curls Goddess curl gel $7.99
Curls Curl souffle $16

All four give me great defined twistouts with no frizz. I kinda prefer the Curls souffle because of the smell and it comes in a tub so it makes it easier for me to apply and twist.

Last edited:
Back