Moisture Question

FlawedBeauty

Ok, so I see that may do not wash everyday or even every other day. So my question is how do you moisturize your hair everyday without washing it everyday?

I see that many use oil to seal in the moisture and that prevents anymore moisture from entering as well as locking in moisture. Sooooo, when the next day comes around and you havent washed isnt the moisture still going to be locked out of your hair because of the oils used the prior days or does that evaporate or something? I just don't understand.:perplexed

I wash/conditioner evey other day. I moisturize every day, cuz the ends tend to get dry if I don't. I have a bottle of water with a lil oil I spray on every day...before/after workouts, I also have a few other products I use to moisturize.

Gotcha. I guess my question is, if ladies are using oil after their moisturizers to seal in the moisture, how are they getting past the seal to moisturize again at another point during the day w/o washing the oils off that were originally used to seal it in. It is my understanding that oils block moisture out as well as seal it in.

I can give you what works for me, I am a newbie, and a natural but I find that when I straighten my hair (hot comb/flat iron)
Its best to only use oil even though its not as moisturizing, I usually use hot six oil which is olive oil based. I find that my hair is shiny and soft but it can get oily also.

Since I have not been straightening my hair I reverted back to what worked best for me as a child and this is when my hair grew the most. I will admit my mother always used luster’s pink lotion on my hair, but with the mineral oil in it, I have since gotten some organics carrot oil cream. Its been very good to me so far, the reason I cant use this on my hair when its flat ironed is because the main ingredient is water, it reverts my hair easily and I like to apply as little heat possible to my hair when its straight.

My final suggestion is cream based water moisturizer if your not concerned with the bone straight look and oils if you are.

FlawedBeauty said:
Ok, so I see that may do not wash everyday or even every other day. So my question is how do you moisturize your hair everyday without washing it everyday?

I see that many use oil to seal in the moisture and that prevents anymore moisture from entering as well as locking in moisture. Sooooo, when the next day comes around and you havent washed isnt the moisture still going to be locked out of your hair because of the oils used the prior days or does that evaporate or something? I just don't understand.:perplexed

how do you moisturize your hair everyday without washing it everyday?

i wash my hair every 5-7 days, i don't have to moisturize daily, my hair stays moisturized for about two days after being washed, on the third day i apply some abba nourishing and that works for about 2 - 4 more days, then usually it's time to wash again

i'm an odd ball here, i don't seal my ends, my ends were drier when i used to seal with oil, so i gave up the oils, stopped using products that contain mineral oil/petroleum, and switched to silicone free products except for one(i still use lacio for roller sets), i found that my rinse out and leave in conditioners are more effective and my hair stays moisturized longer

I moisturize twice, daily. I believe that most of the internal moisture gets in during wash day (in cooler weather I wash every 3 to four days) and that moisturizing afterward coats the hair and keeps in the other moisture, Also, keep in mind that the oil isnt invincible and wears off. So I am sure that some of my re-moisturizing gets inside of the cuticle.

What I usually do is to just get my hair wet, then rub some Oyin's HoneyHemp conditioner over it. I've found that even if I oil my hair, if I get it wet, and let it dry WITHOUT putting something else on it - the oil is gone, and so is the moisture.
Unless you are using a LOT of oil in your hair, a good rinse should still be able to get your hair wet enough to moisturize.

Qetesh said:
I can give you what works for me, I am a newbie, and a natural but I find that when I straighten my hair (hot comb/flat iron)
Its best to only use oil even though its not as moisturizing, I usually use hot six oil which is olive oil based. I find that my hair is shiny and soft but it can get oily also.

Since I have not been straightening my hair I reverted back to what worked best for me as a child and this is when my hair grew the most. I will admit my mother always used luster’s pink lotion on my hair, but with the mineral oil in it, I have since gotten some organics carrot oil cream. Its been very good to me so far, the reason I cant use this on my hair when its flat ironed is because the main ingredient is water, it reverts my hair easily and I like to apply as little heat possible to my hair when its straight.

My final suggestion is cream based water moisturizer if your not concerned with the bone straight look and oils if you are.

Girl I was this close to pink up the pink oil moisturizer in the store the other day!!! Nothing used to get to them edges like this does.

I shampoo and deep co once a week. After about 2 days my hair start to feel dry, so I use Hawaiian Silky 14 in 1 moisturizer and a little oil. I also use profective products and surge ultra max. Always concentrating on the ends.

I use Keracare Conditioning Creme Headdress. Im not sure how it works but it keeps my hair very moisturized (without feeling or looking weighed down) and super soft.

Back