moisterizing hair during transitioning-need help!

FineChyna

i know when your transitioning from a perm to natural that it is essential in keeping your hair from massively breaking off, being dry, and getting tangled. what i want to know is how much moisterizing is too much or too little. the person who did my perm always under processed my hair so my permed hair was never super straight, which made transitioning somewhat easier. my roots grow in curly and i have been getting my ends trimmed slowly but surely. so far the perm is half way grown out w/ lots of wavys and curls towards the roots. but i am not sure of i am keeping my hair conditioned enough. i used a conditioning shampoo/conditioner plus i deep condition cholesterol every time i do my weekly washing. i do use coconut oil(pommade) alot because in this heat and humidity my hair dries out easily. i also use carol's daughter's products (healthy hair butter & hair milk). i used the hair milk on damp hair and after it air drys i use the coconut oil. i usually moisterize my hair every other day or every day if it is very hot and i spent alot of time in the sun. most of this summer i have kept my hair in decorative satin scarves because the heat has been drying my hair out and i am not sure what style i could wear without fussing over it too much

i guess the real question is do you condition/moisterize your hair as YOU feel needed when transitioning or does it go by your hair type? thanx for your help

u need to moisturize as often as it feels dry. i have been transtioning for almost 10 months and dryness has been as issue. i moisturize everyday and i also spry my hair several times a day with distilled water or distilled water/glycerine / castor oil combination. sometimes i also use curl activator but tend to use this less than i use to for some reason. it seems that my hair has become more manageable last couple of months. i was ready to give up around months 6-7 but then things seemed to get better and moisture levels in hair seem a bit better, although still somewhat on dry side.

In my case, EVERYDAY, whether my hair needs moisture or not. My hair is long & I plan to maintain as much length & thickness as I possibly can. For this reason, there is no such thing as "moisturizing too much"... espcially if I don't want breakage at the "line".

Ur welcome
cool.gif

I have been battling with dryness for over a year. The best thing for maintaining constant moisture in my hair was either braids(cornrows), flat twist extensions and weaves using the cornrow method. I will continue to wear these styles on a regular basis to maintain length and moisture. I am not knocking deep treatments and co washes they are great for the hair and I make sure to do these in between styles.

I also recommend glycerin and castor oil. I'm not transitioning, but I really only get a relaxer twice a year. The S Curl activator has been helping me, and I just discovered the castor oil, and my hair loves it.

Tebby

Back