Military Style Support Forum (Nauturals & Not)

Ivonnovi

EDIT 25Feb10: :needpics:
Got Pictures or recommendations? Post them here! WHY?

LHCF members, I have been physically:ill: sickened by the disheartening treatment that my sisters who are natural are treated by their fellow SMs. (service members). :wallbash:
EXAMPLES: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehClY1e8ObE&feature=video_response; and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgvEw7Gbkm4&feature=related

Also, I am too familiar with the plight of those who would like to transition but "fail" due to "keeping up appearances" and peer pressure.

And for those looking to deploy/enter the forces, but don't know what to do to keep their hair healthy during training or deployment.

So, post your styling pictures, along with a "recommended for" and possibly a K.I.S.S. shopping list. :grin:

General guidelines:
Style: must not be "faddish"; ends must be tucked in; cannot fall below the collar (bottom of neck); must not be in the eyes/face when wearing head gear.
Allowed Hair restraints:
- Plain Headband, scrunchies & barrettes (the same color of the hair or clear)
- Hair nets are not allowed (shhhhh there's a way to get away with it, but you must be discrete).

YouTube links are welcome, I'd like to add that this is sort of a "spin-off" of this thread: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=162525&highlight=military+style+support; but focusing on pictures to showcase styles, show case creativity; and offer encouragement. Thank You in Advance!

Last edited:
I'll start:
Hair type this look works for:
- Natural or relaxed hair
- Loc'd or twisted hair
- is a good transition style

Hair style this look works for:
- Loose,
- Loc’d
- Twisted

Type environment:
- Deployment
- Training
- Office

Hair Length:
- 3 inches or more

How-to: To achieve this chic style, flat-twist hair on an angle. Connect the twists into two braids and wrap them into a bun at the nape of the neck, securing with pins. Don’t forget to use a leave-in conditioner like Pantene Pro-V Daily Renewal Treatment to protect hair. Source: Http://photos.essence.com/galleries/photos_buns/image/34592#34592

Shopping: Empty Spray bottle; Favorite Creamy Conditioner; Bobby/hair pins; Rubberbands; scissors; scarf/stocking cap. (Use the scissors to remove the bands!); HairNet for washing/rinsing.

Maintenance: No heat, very low manipulation.

--Home station: 3-4weeks. I’d recommend to avoid heavy products, and to use a moisturizing spritz nightly. (Watered down conditioner)

--Training/deployment: 2-3weeks. I’d recommend to avoid heavy products; rinse/moisturizing sprits at night; re-do every-other row weekly after the first few weeks.

Pic #2 is my SLs on the way out the door to work (SL Sisterlocks)

Attachments

• z buns-twiist-and-roll_src.jpg
    z buns-twiist-and-roll_src.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 47
  • DSC01673.jpg
    DSC01673.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
/\ /\ Thanks I'll add "clear" to the general info.

I'm not familiar with all the rules for the different services but I "guess" it's fair to say that there should not be a sharp contrast in colors unless it's a black restraint on blonde hair.

Shoot. When I was deployed I was an online ordering fool. Bring as much as you can with you and whatever else you want just order it online. They had a bx/px where I was and they were selling relaxers. Some chicks brought their flat irons. I repeat, bring with you as much as you can.

On your down days, wash your hair. Of course try and cowash a few times a week. That sand and dirt ain't no joke. Buns are ideal. Quick and easy. Or just clip it up. If you know how to cornrow, do that. You can keep it in for a week easy. Learn how to air dry and style your hair bc sometimes those foreign outlets won't work even when you have a converter. hth.

Im in the Army I have two different regiments Deployed and not Deployed

Not Deployed- I keep my hair in a bun everyday. DC & wash every week, co wash when needed. I blowdry my hair twice a month, only flatiron special occasion.

Deployed- I kept a bun everyday, Co wash everyday. I used Coconut Oil Faithfully and didn't use any heavy gel, when I walk from my living area to work, the gel has melted all on my face.

I used alot of Komaza Hair products. I loved their natural gel. It kepts my edges sleek and didn't melt.

I would DC with ORS Replenish Conditioner. I would put it on my hair dry, put it back in a bun and go work out. It work for me.

Moisturize Daily, the heat is nothing to play with.

I stop blowdrying and flatiron my hair, cause the heat tools, plus the heat, gave me extra dry hair, not good.

I ordered from TexasBeautySuppy.com...they have my stuff there in a week. High shipping but worth it.

Cowashing and bunning helped me, I had no problems at all.

Last edited:
I'm AF...

I'm not transitioning, but I don't necessarily agree that the regimens have to be so different if you are natural, relaxed, or in the middle.

I wore my hair in cornrows and washed once a week when I was in the desert.

I'd also like to add that per our AFI, AF ladies are not allowed to have dreadlocks or shorn hair...so if you're thinking of doing the BC, make sure you are not shaving your hair completely off. Not sure about the regs for the other services

Navy:
- no locs
- no scrunchies
- no headbands
- barretts must be the same color as your hair
- women cannot have a shorn head (i.e. scalp showing)

Keep it coming ladies! and post a few hair styles.

Thank you

I have to admit that I elected to do SisterLocs becasue they more closely resemble the "micro-braids" but are mainly "my hair". That'll be my argument to the end.

Signed a trailblazing E8 with 16months to go.
Hooooah!!!!!

Last edited:
O thank GOD for this thread! I'm just a lowly airman, I always get yelled at for my hair it's natural. On the weekends I wear my afro walking around and everybody just stares lol...I have a few styles I wear but I'm looking for something else because I hate monotony. They only way I can get my hair to be in a normal bun (no cornrows in the front) is to use got2b hair glue which I don't think is a good product to promote growth. Here are the ingredients: Water (Aqua), VP/VA Copolymer, PVP, Vinyl Caprolactam/VP/Dimethylaminoethyl Methacrylate Copolymer, Methacrylate Copolymer, Petrolatum, Propylene Glycol, Tricontanyl PVP, VP/DMAPA Acrylates Copolymer, Cetearyl Alcohol, Dicetyl Phosphate, Ceteth-10 Phosphate, Cetyl Alcohol, Steareth-21, Stearyl Alcohol, Corn Starch Modified, Hydroxyethylcellulose, PEG-8 Beeswax, Disodium EDTA, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, DMDM Hydantoin, Fragrance.

is this stuff bad?

I know there are certain stipulations concerning wigs does anyone know what they are? I want to buy a few to wear to work. I'll post a few pics of some of my styles when I get home. I'm just getting really frustrated, especially since I'm only trying to use natural products (except that glue). Someone help me :(!!!

WONDERFUL THREAD IDEA!

~ARMY Checkin' In Hoooooah!?~

I posted this earlier here: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=447342&highlight=

picture.php

This is my silly lil twist out and it is secured round my hairline with a black headband that doesn't exceed 1 inch. I pitched the headband idea to my 1SG before I wore one to work, because NOT EVERYONE ISN'T ACCEPTING OF NATURAL HAIR, or AGREES THAT IT IS PROFESSIONAL!:wallbash:

Ever since I shaved my head though...My CoC and Support Channel have been very understanding and accepting to my chia-pet phase.

I wore this style and it was the first time my Commander said: "I like your hair!":grin:

*added note for Army-A TWA can be tough if you have more/fuller hair, and it doesn't fit under your beret...:perplexed

I am army and wear my pulled back fro everyday. The only comments I have ever gotten, was why did you cut your hair and I like your natural. I wish some one would say something crazy to me about my hair. I know myself and I am not the one. But, I have been playing this game for awhile and know the ends and out of it. On a side note, I hate that beret. Mine is horrible. I work at a training center and we get away with wearing our patrol caps most days of the month.

LOL no "scrunchies" for AF either...I wonder why not?

Alternative to the Scrunchie: the Cutoff top to knee-highs. "Comforatble and gentle enough for tomato plants!" this coming from a very tenderheaded sista!. Also if you look at my 2nd pic in Post#2, I use a scrunchie made from "synthetic hair" the same color as mine. No complaints yet.

O thank GOD for this thread! I'm just a lowly airman, I always get yelled at for my hair it's natural. On the weekends I wear my afro walking around and everybody just stares lol...I have a few styles I wear but I'm looking for something else because I hate monotony. They only way I can get my hair to be in a normal bun (no cornrows in the front) is to use got2b hair glue which I don't think is a good product to promote growth. Here are the ingredients: Water (Aqua), VP/VA Copolymer, PVP, Vinyl Caprolactam/VP/Dimethylaminoethyl Methacrylate Copolymer, Methacrylate Copolymer, Petrolatum, Propylene Glycol, Tricontanyl PVP, VP/DMAPA Acrylates Copolymer, Cetearyl Alcohol, Dicetyl Phosphate, Ceteth-10 Phosphate, Cetyl Alcohol, Steareth-21, Stearyl Alcohol, Corn Starch Modified, Hydroxyethylcellulose, PEG-8 Beeswax, Disodium EDTA, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, DMDM Hydantoin, Fragrance.

is this stuff bad?

I know there are certain stipulations concerning wigs does anyone know what they are? I want to buy a few to wear to work. I'll post a few pics of some of my styles when I get home. I'm just getting really frustrated, especially since I'm only trying to use natural products (except that glue). Someone help me :(!!!

You are e-x-a-c-t-l-y who i'm trying to help with this thread. I hope you get inspired here! :bighug:

WONDERFUL THREAD IDEA!

~ARMY Checkin' In Hoooooah!?~

I posted this earlier here: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=447342&highlight=

This is my silly lil twist out and it is secured round my hairline with a black headband that doesn't exceed 1 inch. I pitched the headband idea to my 1SG before I wore one to work, because NOT EVERYONE ISN'T ACCEPTING OF NATURAL HAIR, or AGREES THAT IT IS PROFESSIONAL!:wallbash:

Ever since I shaved my head though...My CoC and Support Channel have been very understanding and accepting to my chia-pet phase.

I wore this style and it was the first time my Commander said: "I like your hair!":grin:

*added note for Army-A TWA can be tough if you have more/fuller hair, and it doesn't fit under your beret...:perplexed

Woot Woot! :club: Thats what I'm talkin' bout: a picture, routine, and feedback!

Thank you and do share more!

Remember ladies: :needpics: so keep them comming!!!!!!

Last edited:
Hi, I'm Air Force and I just wanted to say that in my career field the AFI's get even more specific. I'm a maintainer on the Flight Line, so we cannot have any hair pieces or metal pieces in our hair at all.

I have neck length hair that has tons of layers. It's hard to hold it all back and neat without clips and such. I use a head band but my edges are suffering for it. Any suggestions on how to hold all of my hair back without the use of metal or hair gel?? My hair is damaged and I dont want it to dry out with the alcohol in hair gel.

Day to day I just pull it back in a bun (thank god it is finally long enough) I just got selected for promotion to SSgt (woohoo!!!) and I really am trying to look the part. I just dont know how to make my hair look not messy all the time with a little bun.

Thanks!!

I still can't believe Air Force naturals are getting crap over their hair. Before I BCed I studied the hair portion of the Dress And Appearance reg like mad....I'm probably out of regs now cuz I know the fro is CLEARLY past 3 inches in bulk lol but I'm getting up early to twist it. My NCOs, SNCOs, AND CGOs have not said anything about my hair being out of regulation but my squadron is not uber strict (then again I am stationed at Cannon AFB so everyone is too miserable to be picky about hair lol). It doesn't look unkempt and it isn't on Angela Davis status so I'm good.

I'm so glad about this thread. I'm in the Army & Someone makes a comment about my hair everyday and it isn't out of reg but they just have something to say. Its very annoying. I'm like just let me be, Uurrggghhh. My hair isn't quite long enough for a bun/ponytail. I usually cornrow the front and do single braids in the back, put it in a ponytail or cornrow the back in a ponytail. Like others I got tired of the monotomy and now have it braided in the front and out in the back

Attachments

• P1020575.JPG
    P1020575.JPG
    12.8 KB · Views: 9
  • P1020572.JPG
    P1020572.JPG
    20.2 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
So far I've gotten positive feedback on my twists. My one goofy friend called me Coolio and she calls me Cocoa Puff when I wear my hair out lol. It only took me 2 1/2 hours to do my hair this morning and they are pretty small so I didn't lose my twisting game at all.

AF here, and I'm having a hard time transitioning & looking "appropriate". Half the time, i just wake up, take off my scarf, and GOOO.

No one has said anything yet, but, since I'm in Korea (Osan), they have better things to worry about.

Bump,
I have SLs but today I broke down and smoothed my (wild) hairs down with with a by running a curling iron over the whole of my head (just to the bunned area).
(This helped > < that much, but hey, at least I tried. LOL_

bumping, cant let this thread die

im considering flat twists and bantu knots for next week. im not afraid of any backlash because if someone calls it faddish i will ask them when was the last time they saw elevendy billion people wearing this style, and theres nothing in the AFI that bans Afrocentric styles.

bumping, cant let this thread die

im considering flat twists and bantu knots for next week. im not afraid of any backlash because if someone calls it faddish i will ask them when was the last time they saw elevendy billion people wearing this style, and theres nothing in the AFI that bans Afrocentric styles.

Thanks for keeping the thread alive, and YOU GO GIRL!!!!!:grin:

Hello ladies, I just found out that I'm deploying here in August so I'll be on a 6+ month stretch. I was thinking of wearing single braids (no hair added) and just putting it in a pony every day. I would probably take them down and wash and DC every 2 or 3 weeks...For Daily maintenance i was thinking of spraying with a mixture of 1/2 con and 1/2 water. How does that sound?

Yall are lucky you arent in the Marine Corps because then you would really have a hard time. They are EXTREMELY strict about hair:yep:. Your bun must be very tight with no flyaways, no bobby pins(showing) and no rubber bands showing(clear or black). Like superrrrrr tight.Theyll have your hair so tight your eyes will look like Jackie Chan:brucelee:, Or else they will tell you your hair is busted:nono:. If you have cornrows they have to be straight back and you cant have half your head cornrowed with the back part in a bun, aint happenin:naughty:. They might let you get by with micros though...:look:

Last edited:
Hello ladies, I just found out that I'm deploying here in August so I'll be on a 6+ month stretch. I was thinking of wearing single braids (no hair added) and just putting it in a pony every day. I would probably take them down and wash and DC every 2 or 3 weeks...For Daily maintenance i was thinking of spraying with a mixture of 1/2 con and 1/2 water. How does that sound?

Hey girl. Are you doing a 6 month tour? Your regimen sounds great. I will keep you in my prayers.

Great thread! Army Nurse checking in. I've been transitioning for almost a year. Loose buns and french braids have been great for me at work. Boring, but great!

Hey girl. Are you doing a 6 month tour? Your regimen sounds great. I will keep you in my prayers.

Great thread! Army Nurse checking in. I've been transitioning for almost a year. Loose buns and french braids have been great for me at work. Boring, but great!
Yeah it'll be 6 months...

Back