Maxiglide Techniques-Please Share

lonei

What is your hair type?

Are you relaxed, texlaxed or natural?

Do you air dry or rollerset/wrap under the dryer first?

Do you use the steam function?

How do you section your hair, i.e. do you start at the front or back?

How large are the sections of hair?

Does it come out bone straight?

Have you noticed any damage?

Any tips?

Thanks-yes I know, 20 questions! I'm just trying to get the hand of this thing...

lonei said:
What is your hair type?
little waves and medium waves, no or very little spirals, very kinky kitchen and fuzzed forehead hahaha - i've no idea really.
Are you relaxed, texlaxed or natural?
tex'd and transitioning @ 8 months.
Do you air dry or rollerset/wrap under the dryer first?
air dry to about 80-90% in pincurl type thingies overnight (barely damp) then warm blow dry if it's really too damp to iron - followed by cold air blast to cool down.
Do you use the steam function?
yes yes yes :D
How do you section your hair, i.e. do you start at the front or back?
sometimes start in front first. i'll divide into 6 sections then divide each section in half to flatiron. i use clawclips, bobbypins, plaits, pincurl thingies, my teeth, ponytail holders - whatever's at hand to keep it out of my face.
How large are the sections of hair?
about 3.5" long and about this thick ----> | |
Does it come out bone straight?
yes but, next day strong wave pattern from new growth reappears so i just mist a bit and roll hair into a pincurl or whatever. if braidout, it won' t matter. could definitely get it bone straight at a higher temp i'm sure but i just can't make myself move it over the 1 :S

thinking about it now, i flatiron about the same as i 'laxed. never bone straight.
Have you noticed any damage?
no. i'm very very careful and it's one of the main reasons i'll get my wave back within a day on the new growth - i don't over straighten.
Any tips?
Use the steam burst!
good silicone heat protectant - NOT grease. save grease if you use it, til after you're done.
Thanks-yes I know, 20 questions! I'm just trying to get the hand of this thing...

i reckon some of the other ladies will chime in but i just can't bring myself to burn my nappies bone straight...... i don't want to hear them scream;)

What is your hair type? 4a and b

Are you relaxed, texlaxed or natural? Relaxed

Do you air dry or rollerset/wrap under the dryer first? Most times I air dry the day before I want to use the maxiglide. I like stay away from too much heat so I do one or the other. I either rollerset or air dry and flat iron.

Do you use the steam function? Sure do!

How do you section your hair, i.e. do you start at the front or back? I first part my hair the way I am going to wear it. If I am wearing a center or side part than I do that first. I do the side first and the back last.

How large are the sections of hair? About 2 inches wide but not too thick if I want to get my roots good.

Does it come out bone straight? Pretty much and with one pass of the iron.

Have you noticed any damage? Nope because I don't do it often and I make sure to use a heat protectant and the maxiglide on a setting not higher than 4.

Any tips? Most importantly I detangle the section I am going to iron with a wide tooth comb and then a smaller tooth comb if I am using the plate with the little teeth. I learned the hard way not to try to press the plates together and move down but simply close it and let it glide over my hair. Learning to do this keeps the little pins from pulling your hair out.

The flat plates work very well too but you can't use the steam burst when you use them.

I should preface my response by saying I've only used it 3X since I brought it a couple months ago... but here goes.

What is your hair type? 4a

Are you relaxed, texlaxed or natural? texlaxed, but 40% of my length is NG. I'm stretching.

Do you air dry or rollerset/wrap under the dryer first? Airdry then blowdry (on low) to get it relatively straight.

Do you use the steam function? OH YEA!

How do you section your hair, i.e. do you start at the front or back? I part my hair from ear to ear then down the center and start in the back.

How large are the sections of hair? 2 inches wide, 1 inch thick.

Does it come out bone straight? Only if that's what I want.

Have you noticed any damage? No, but again I haven't used it much.

Any tips? I love the detangling pins, but when you're making your first pass barely bring them together. If you squeeze the iron your hair will get caught. The second pass squeeze tighter, but still not tight. Simplycee already said that but it bares repeating. :) My only other tip would be use the steam shot. It helps the hair straighten easier (less passes) and retain moisture.

lonei said:
What is your hair type? 4a

Are you relaxed, texlaxed or natural? relaxed

Do you air dry or rollerset/wrap under the dryer first? air dry

Do you use the steam function? sometimes

How do you section your hair, i.e. do you start at the front or back? I start on the sides and goes clock wise from left to right

How large are the sections of hair? I was since about an inch

Does it come out bone straight? yep, too straight

Have you noticed any damage? All I know is when I put it on the lowest setting, it stills seems to hot for my hair. I haven't use them in months.

Any tips? n/a... I'm not a happy camper about these flatirons..I mean they are good and does the job, it's just that they seem to hot for my hair and when I turn them on they smell like burnt hair..my step daughter loves these things though :) :)

simplycee said:
What is your hair type? 4a and b

Are you relaxed, texlaxed or natural? Relaxed

Do you air dry or rollerset/wrap under the dryer first? Most times I air dry the day before I want to use the maxiglide. I like stay away from too much heat so I do one or the other. I either rollerset or air dry and flat iron.

Do you use the steam function? Sure do!

How do you section your hair, i.e. do you start at the front or back? I first part my hair the way I am going to wear it. If I am wearing a center or side part than I do that first. I do the side first and the back last.

How large are the sections of hair? About 2 inches wide but not too thick if I want to get my roots good.

Does it come out bone straight? Pretty much and with one pass of the iron.

Have you noticed any damage? Nope because I don't do it often and I make sure to use a heat protectant and the maxiglide on a setting not higher than 4.

Any tips? Most importantly I detangle the section I am going to iron with a wide tooth comb and then a smaller tooth comb if I am using the plate with the little teeth. I learned the hard way not to try to press the plates together and move down but simply close it and let it glide over my hair. Learning to do this keeps the little pins from pulling your hair out.

The flat plates work very well too but you can't use the steam burst when you use them.

You can't use the steam burst with the flat plates? I thought you could because the little holes are in the other plate...I thought that was where the steam came from....just asking...just asking:)

Lol @ tsmith.

I don't think you can but I've only used the flat plates twice since I purchased mine a year ago. I could be wrong. Hey I have been before. :lol:

simplycee said:
Lol @ tsmith.

I don't think you can but I've only used the flat plates twice since I purchased mine a year ago. I could be wrong. Hey I have been before. :lol:

I don't know myself, I haven't really used the flatirons but I'm going to check them out...thanks for responding:)

OT-love your hair:)

I tried the maxiglide again and it's pissing me off. I keep getting knots at my ends. Why is this happening?

I'm combing my hair, then using the glide. When I get to my ends...tiny KNOTS.

:(

Hi Ladies,

I just wanted to say that I bought a maxiglide this weekend. I'm a 4a natural. I washed and deep conditioned, then used the blow dryer. I must say that this flat iron got my hair straighter than any pressing comb ever has - in just one pass! I love it. It even straightened my ends which tend to tangle and knot. I was very careful and used a small tooth comb to gently untangle my hair before using the maxiglide with the pins.

The only thing I noticed is that my hair was slightly frizzy the next day. Still straight but just frizzy as if it was too moist.

I had to use my sedu to curl my hair. I will only be using my maxiglide to straighten because it is too bulky to curly my collar bone length hair (with short layers). I love, love, love my maxiglide. I got salon results!

lana said:
Hi Ladies,

I just wanted to say that I bought a maxiglide this weekend. I'm a 4a natural. I washed and deep conditioned, then used the blow dryer. I must say that this flat iron got my hair straighter than any pressing comb ever has - in just one pass! I love it. It even straightened my ends which tend to tangle and knot. I was very careful and used a small tooth comb to gently untangle my hair before using the maxiglide with the pins.

The only thing I noticed is that my hair was slightly frizzy the next day. Still straight but just frizzy as if it was too moist.

I had to use my sedu to curl my hair. I will only be using my maxiglide to straighten because it is too bulky to curly my collar bone length hair (with short layers). I love, love, love my maxiglide. I got salon results!

I can relate with the frizzy comment. i wont be using the steam again. What temp did you use?

I used it on setting 5. But I'm a 4A natural. I want to use the steam. I think it must benefit the hair by providing extra moisture. I'll just put a little oil on my hair. Because I have to say I straightened my hair with a little heat protectant and serum, trying to keep the products light so that my hair would be shaky and it was shaky as could be, but frizzy by day 2. (laughs)

lonei said:
What is your hair type? 3b I think

Are you relaxed, texlaxed or natural? texlax

Do you air dry or rollerset/wrap under the dryer first? blowdry

Do you use the steam function? yes

How do you section your hair, i.e. do you start at the front or back? start at the back and section hair

How large are the sections of hair? maybe 1/4"
Does it come out bone straight? most times

Have you noticed any damage? yes, but only after using it several times
Any tips? the highest setting I would use is 4

I haven't use that thing on my hair in 5 months. Sometimes I think it was a waste of money.

lana said:
Hi Ladies,

Good 4 u but I took my maxiglide back to bed bath & beyond over the weekend... I'm cool. Maybe I'll give it another try when the new model comes out in a few weeks. The moisture on the maxiglide is nice but IMO something just isn't all the way right about that iron. Sedu is still the best! :D

Back