Mason Pearson Brushes - which one should I get

Loliz

Okay, so I've made up my mind. I'm going to get a Mason-Pearson brush. But i don't know which one I should get. The boar/nylon mix or the straight nylon? I'd really like a detangler, but from what I understand you really shouldn't use the boar bristles on wet hair. But I was wondering if the boar/nylon mix would be good for thick hair (3b/4a)? Anybody have any experience with the two? Any recommendations?

I wouldn't recommend it for detangling. I use it on already detangled hair that has been airdryed (about 80%) when I blowdry. The nylon/boar mix is great - give a nice shine after blowdrying.

I wouldn't recommend it for detangling. I use it on already detangled hair that has been airdryed (about 80%) when I blowdry. The nylon/boar mix is great - give a nice shine after blowdrying.

Thanks JLove.
Which kind do you have? The reason I mentioned the detangling is because on their website, they say that the all-nylon one is specifically for that purpose - detangling. But they say the nylon/boar mix is NOT for detangling.

Thanks JLove.
Which kind do you have? The reason I mentioned the detangling is because on their website, they say that the all-nylon one is specifically for that purpose - detangling. But they say the nylon/boar mix is NOT for detangling.

I have one of each but I've used the nylon one only a few times in the years I've had it, I use the nylon/boar most often. I have the BN1 and N2. I have 4a/b type hair, that's why I don't think it's a good detangler for that my type (I use the Denman brush and it's GREAT for all hairtypes), but I guess the nylon one could be ok for 2 and some 3 hair types.

I have the mason pearson detangler (white with nylon bristles) and the all boar bristles ones. I have used the detangler on wet hair with no problems in the past but I don't use it that often and rarely use it on dry hair. The all boar one is great for adding shine and smoothing hair when blowdrying.

The nylon bristles are flexible and thin. If your hair is thick it may not be a good detangler.

ITA with JLove on the Denman for detangling all hair types.

I have the mason pearson detangler (white with nylon bristles) and the all boar bristles ones. I have used the detangler on wet hair with no problems in the past but I don't use it that often and rarely use it on dry hair. The all boar one is great for adding shine and smoothing hair when blowdrying.

The nylon bristles are flexible and thin. If your hair is thick it may not be a good detangler.

ITA with JLove on the Denman for detangling all hair types.

Thanks Raven and JLove.
So what kind of Denman do you use for detangling?

This thread was right one time for me. I'm trying to decide which Mason Pearson brush to get. So, is the consensus to buy the boar bristle brush and the boar bristle/nylon combo? No one seems to be loving the nylon only brush... and I already have a Denman...I just don't use it. I'm currently transitioning and I'm a 4a/4b (mostly 4b) and I use my Tangle Tamer mostly. Right now, I'm in extensions, but when they come out, I'll need some really good styling tools to help me make it through...

Back