MAJOR SETBACK help!

sokoron

So the girl who originallly did my install was avoiding my calls, like I was a man she had been on a bad date on.

So here I am tracks slipping and all, and I get desperate, so I ask my cousin to take down my install, wash and sew me back up.

Well cousin didnt know what she was in for, because of LHCF, I told her I was gonna have to sit under a dryer and deep condition, AND airdry my hair (NOdirect heat!) before she began. I then proceded to get the girl its late, I have to get up and the only reason I did this is because your hair was lookin crazy look.
So I made a rookie mistake... tryna save some time, I decided to skip detangling my hair before I shampooed. I reasoned it would be easier to comb through wet. Did I mention I had just finsihed running 11 miles and my hair was saturated with sweat....

As you can imagine, MAJOR SETBACK... my hair was just coming out in droves, and it was so thin and lifeless. I should have stopped right there but I let her put my installl back in. I am so upset, my hair was finally getting healthy and then I punish it once again.
:nono: :wallbash:
I havent figured out if it was just because I didnt detangle before hand, or if it was because I was washing it twice a week (I workout and Sweat ALOT) and then my hair wasnt drying properly.
Or could it be that my hair wasnt getting enough moisture from using an applicator bottle? (my hair was DRRRRY)

I dont know if I should try again with this install. Perhaps only keep my install in for 4 weeks on 1 week off, or something?

I am supposed to be streetching my relaxer until march 1st. which would put me right at 3 months. But I have learned that I should NOT relax damaged hair.... So should i relax and then lay off of the sew ins. or nurse my hair back to health and then relax?

Oh man, I'm so sorry.... :bighug:
I know nothing about weaves and installs and stuff, so I'm not sure I can answer this but the ladies on here will get to it...

It's because you didn't detangle before.
If you do a search, many ladies here have had similar experiences with tangling, dreds, and major loss of hair simply because they took down braids or weaves and did not detangle before washing. If you were going to skip anything at all, detangling was definitely the very last thing that you should have.

I cannot stress enough...don't wash your hair without detangling and removing sheds.

But the good news is that hair grows. I'm not sure what you should do about the install. My first instinct is to tell you to take it out and let your hair rest, but I have no experience with weaves, and can't really advise you. Hopefully, someone who knows more will chime in.

I would, however, tell you not to relax your hair until it returns to health. Just be gentle with your hair and baby it, and it will bounce back in time.
Sorry that this happened to you!

Question what kind of "moisture" were you using on your installs and applying with that applicator bottle?

Also we stress combing B4 shampooing to avoid matting....you said your hair was coming out in droves was that due to matting/ tangling or were you just having lots of breakage period.

Also did you take the time to see where your breakage was happening? was it at the scalp. the demarcation line or ends?

I think these answering these questions will help people better assist you

I would not do another install tonight. If it is already detangled I would do a protein treatment followed by an overnight baggy with a moisturizing con. I would give it a couple of weeks at least. Wear a phony pony or something.

If your hair is not getting enough moisture with an install you need to consider how you are doing it. Try a spray instead. Also you need to make sure your hair is dry and not getting moldy under the weave.
Sorry this happened to you.

it's okay. it's a common mistake that a lot of women learn from. i've even made that mistake after taking braids out. i called my stylist and she told me what to do. i was practically in tears and she told me to just put conditioner on my hair, be patient, and detangle. it took 4 hours.

it took 4 hours. i don't remember how much hair i lost... it happened back in 2005. i remember wanting to just cut my hair it was so bad but i forced myself not to. i'm glad you didn't reach for the scissors... a lot times people do! but all really need is patience.

I am familiar with sew ins and in your case, I wouldn't do another install. 4 weeks on and 1 week off sounds like a lot of manipulation and stress for what it supposed to be a protective style. I agree with ChaosButterfly... after you detangle your hair, you should let it rest. I hate that you had to experience this too.

Back