LYe User

YoungWavey

If lye is good for the hair but bad for the scalp what kind of problems does it cause(like dryness, irration,etc)..I'm thinking about switching to Lye after dealing with No lye all my life I can't take the dryness anymore in my hair. If dryness is a problem then i already have that and it wouldn't be that big of a deal. Could anyone give me you input???

I haven't relaxed since June 2006, but before I stopped relaxing I switched to lye and found it to be so much better. My hair was so much more moisturized. I added a tablespoon or two of oil to the relaxer and I think that helped too.

I haven't relaxed since June 2006, but before I stopped relaxing I switched to lye and found it to be so much better. My hair was so much more moisturized. I added a tablespoon or two of oil to the relaxer and I think that helped too.

Ummmmm....hair twin...hope you are not thinking about relaxing again............:rolleyes:

Did that weaken the relaxer? I may try that...:yep:

If lye is good for the hair but bad for the scalp what kind of problems does it cause(like dryness, irration,etc)..I'm thinking about switching to Lye after dealing with No lye all my life I can't take the dryness anymore in my hair. If dryness is a problem then i already have that and it wouldn't be that big of a deal. Could anyone give me you input???

I think I read or remember hearing that Lye relaxers de-fat/dissolve the scalp or something like that over time. I use Lye *switched from no-lye last year*. I base well, when I relax, and I have experienced any problems.

I started out with a affirm sensitive scalp (no-lye) relaxer and due to the dryness switched to lye. With each touchup and trim, my hair got silkier and the dryness began to subside. Now the very ends where the no lye is is so much more noticeable to me, because it can get really dry, but I have found ways to keep the dryness away. I always base my scalp thoroughly before I go to the salon and am based again with the gentle assurance. My scalp is usually tender for the first week post touch up. I use aloe vera gel mixed with jojoba oil, or neosporin, and I haven't had any problems outside of the normal. My last touchup was with a new stylist and she left the relaxer on for less time. I had no tenderness/burning feeling, but my hair wasn't as straight as I was used to. It had a wave at the root. I will be waiting longer, to see as I get more newgrowth if my hair is straight enough. I do like not burning, though and I know it is healthier to not relax bone straight. HTH

Thank you lye will be my next relaxer in 08:grin:

I started out with a affirm sensitive scalp (no-lye) relaxer and due to the dryness switched to lye. With each touchup and trim, my hair got silkier and the dryness began to subside. Now the very ends where the no lye is is so much more noticeable to me, because it can get really dry, but I have found ways to keep the dryness away. I always base my scalp thoroughly before I go to the salon and am based again with the gentle assurance. My scalp is usually tender for the first week post touch up. I use aloe vera gel mixed with jojoba oil, or neosporin, and I haven't had any problems outside of the normal. My last touchup was with a new stylist and she left the relaxer on for less time. I had no tenderness/burning feeling, but my hair wasn't as straight as I was used to. It had a wave at the root. I will be waiting longer, to see as I get more newgrowth if my hair is straight enough. I do like not burning, though and I know it is healthier to not relax bone straight. HTH

same here...I am switching to lye on my next relaxer big time... but the dryness would probably be on the scalp not the hair. So couldn't you just oil the scalp? I can handle a dry scalp but I am tired of dealing with dry hair!!

Same here. I have a tub of Mizani Butter Blend waiting for me.

I have always used NoLye but I think I need to change.

where is the website to get the mizani butter blend? I am still contemplating if I need to self relax myself or go to a stylist and let them do it because I am not self relaxing right:sad: I don't think there is a such thing as not overlapping unless you relax once a year:look:

same here...I am switching to lye on my next relaxer big time... but the dryness would probably be on the scalp not the hair. So couldn't you just oil the scalp? I can handle a dry scalp but I am tired of dealing with dry hair!!

ITA...:yep: hopefully the lye likes my hair:drunk:

I think I read or remember hearing that Lye relaxers de-fat/dissolve the scalp or something like that over time. I use Lye *switched from no-lye last year*. I base well, when I relax, and I have experienced any problems.

That sounds scary ! If you base the scalp well do lye relaxer still end up dissolving the scalp?

Back