Looking after the nape

Miss*Tress

Does anyone have any tips and tricks for preventing tangling and breakage at the nape to share?

This is definitely a sore spot with me; it tangles very easily and I've even had to cut knots from there. Now it's about 1/2 - 1 inch shorter than the rest of my hair. :cry3:

How do I keep it healthy?

My simple answer would be Moisture Moisture Moisture.

Also be sure that you are putting your hair into loose ponytails so that you do not stress out that area too much.

Also be careful about how you are tying your scarf at night. I invested in a durag so that there wasn't a huge knot that would tangle around the nape of my neck.

I've given up on my nape area. It's a lost cause. I't WAYYYY shorter than the rest of my hair and it is beedy all around. Wearing ponytails is a no no for me

FeelinIt said:
I've given up on my nape area. It's a lost cause. I't WAYYYY shorter than the rest of my hair and it is beedy all around. Wearing ponytails is a no no for me

Starting the MTG/ DR. MIRACLES TEMPLE BALM to my nape. I'm concentrating on that area as well as my edges with a lot of care plus never forgetting to place a scarf over my hair or draping it over my shoulders when wearing a jacket or coat. I think it is so important to prevent that constant snag in the area. I also rotate the silk scarf knot each night.
Hope this helps some.

Keep the nape area as moist as humanly possible, and/or skip every other relaxer when you relax the nape. The Qhemet biologic products, Sidr butter and Olive heavy cream, are the only products that keep that area moisturized for me.

Last edited:
Thanks for your responses, ladies. I've been trying to keep that area moisturized, but it does dry out more than the rest of my hair. Maybe from rubbing on my clothes?

Anyway if I remember tomorrow, I'll take some pics and post them so you can see what I'm dealing with. That area really is a mess and I've been hiding it under the rest of my hair - but for how long... :(

After I wash i towel dry my hair, I never comb it, and i finger part from ear to ear. Then I part that down the middle and I make two twists and secure them up with a clip. I never use elastics or scrunchies, and never put my hair in a pony. Also, once i have my two twist on each side i coat them with Protective Break Free before clipping them up and let air dry, I don't blow dry my hair anymore. I can wait til the front of my head is long enough to do this with because I think it really helps me :o)

Back