Long Haired 4c's: How Often Do You Use A Comb?

snoop

So for the past two to three years I've mainly been finger detangling. I comb maybe once every quarter. As a result, I feel as though I've retained a lot of length. I'd like to try some new styles this year (other than 2 strand twists) but I think I'd probably need to do now frequent combing sessions to make the look more put together. Also I'm finding that my hair is webbing quite a bit, and I figure that it's probably due it requiring thorough detangling more frequently. The problem is that in scared of having a setback.

So I ask: how often do you comb your hair?

Hmmm, whenever I feel like it? Twice a quarter probably? But if I want my hair to look extra special I'll use one, or if I'm mad and don't feel like detangling properly (maybe once a quarter, lol).

I'm 4c and my hair webs and tangles and I just let it be. :laugh: But to answer your question, if I were trying to do a cute style like perm rods or something I'd probably comb while damp with a seamless wide tooth comb. This never happens though because I'm lazy and spend more time liking nice styles on IG than actually doing them. Womp.

Oh my hair webs too but it's always stretched or twisted so that usually only happens at the root.

Most of the time I just finger detangle it apart. Takes me three hours after a week of no detangling.

Braiding at the root helps to stop that.

I'm 4c but my hairs not long...yet :lol:

Can I ask you guys what styles you're wearing most of the time? I went to a stylist and she think twistouts are too much manipulation and bad for length retention. I must say when I got a rod set I didn't lose as much hair.

I'm 4c and my hair webs and tangles and I just let it be. :laugh: But to answer your question, if I were trying to do a cute style like perm rods or something I'd probably comb while damp with a seamless wide tooth comb. This never happens though because I'm lazy and spend more time liking nice styles on IG than actually doing them. Womp.

That's exactly why I'm asking. :rofl:

On a side note: How did you stretch your hair in the avatar? (I love it!) When I try to do this I have to hope that it doesn't shrink up from any humidity.

Oh my hair webs too but it's always stretched or twisted so that usually only happens at the root.

Most of the time I just finger detangle it apart. Takes me three hours after a week of no detangling.

Braiding at the root helps to stop that.

I'll have to try this!

That's exactly why I'm asking. :rofl:

On a side note: How did you stretch your hair in the avatar? (I love it!) When I try to do this I have to hope that it doesn't shrink up from any humidity.

Thank you! My avatar/signature pics were the result of a really extensive finger detangling session that took a few days (I tend to let my hair get pretty tangled before "going in" and since I detangle sections at different times, I keep them braided to stay stretched while I work on another section).

I think it looks so full because I was literally separating strand by strand and snipped the ends a bit so they look cleaner than usual. I'm due for another finger detangling session so I can wash this week.

@bluenvy thanks so much!

So for the past two to three years I've mainly been finger detangling. I comb maybe once every quarter. As a result, I feel as though I've retained a lot of length. I'd like to try some new styles this year (other than 2 strand twists) but I think I'd probably need to do now frequent combing sessions to make the look more put together. Also I'm finding that my hair is webbing quite a bit, and I figure that it's probably due it requiring thorough detangling more frequently. The problem is that in scared of having a setback.

So I ask: how often do you comb your hair?

This should be obvious but I'm trying to make sure...Do you mean you comb your hair once every 3 months?

I'm not 4c but my hair webbed up even when I was relaxed. :rolleyes: It was a porosity issue. Now that I'm natural, I do MHM (when it's loose, I'm on a personal PS challenge) and I no longer have the issue. If you don't feel like doing alladat (understandable), there are a few products that target porosity specifically. One that I never see mentioned is Zoto's Porosity Equalizer, it's a liquidy leave in. Also, anything meant to be used after color will usually close the cuticle.

I believed webbed hair is caused by improper detangling before wash day, build up of shed hairs and product build up that fine hairs have to avoid.
True, but imo, it's a chicken or the egg issue. Meaning, high porosity/ raised cuticles are what lead to improper detangling because the hairs want to stick together. So, when you come along to detangle, it's harder, you fear breakage, and so you leave it alone in an attempt not to cause any more damage, which is why there's a build up of shed hairs.

For example, my natural hair can either be cottony or wiry. I finger detangle almost exclusively. When it's cottony, it webs, even though I'm handling it the same and using the same products. Then I use some protein or do MHM (both cuticle-closing actions) and then it's wiry, easy to detangle, non-webby.

Or another example. My crochet braid reggie is simple: leave it alone while it's in, take down, keep it loose for a week during which I protein, MHM everyday, etc, then put in the next set.
When I took it out, it felt cottony. There was a TON of shed hair (two months worth!) and so, while I wanted to detangle immediately, I held off until I had done two protein treatments (Aphogee 2 mi, but for 10 min, and a Cherry Lola treatment). That took about three days. And then it was super easy to detangle.

Tbh, MHM is the only way I've found to keep it wiry without doing anything special, like protein treatments or whatever. I think it's because the process manually closes the cuticle (maybe it's just the clay?), while protein closes the cuticle but in a more roundabout fashion (by filling in the chips in the cuticle).

For example, my natural hair can either be cottony or wiry. I finger detangle almost exclusively. When it's cottony, it webs, even though I'm handling it the same and using the same products. Then I use some protein or do MHM (both cuticle-closing actions) and then it's wiry, easy to detangle, non-webby.

I'm not 4c either, but I experienced some serious webbing recently (including the wiry vs cottony feel) - it was fixed with a protein pre-poo (which also seemed to correct my porosity issues, interestingly).

Maybe you're in to something. Out of laziness I haven't clay washed in ages. Maybe I also need to change my protein cycle (Komaza) from monthly to every 3 weeks...?

I am 4b/c with fine strands. I cannot finger detangle exclusively. I never get all the shed hairs out and then the shed hairs build up and cause breakage. Majority of my detangling is via my fingers but at some point I have to give my hair a run thru with a detangling brush/comb (usually with conditioner in).

At this point I only use a comb/brush every 4-6 weeks after I have finger detangled.

My hair isn't long yet but I only fingercomb/detangle my 4c/b hair. Its the easiest way for me as I rely on my hair clumping for manageability (wash and go life). I get more tanlges if I comb regularly. I haven't combed my hair since I tried a twist set early last year.

@Sosoothing @Sumra

Yeah, it seems kinda long, doesn't it? I should add that I almost exclusively wear two strand twists so its not like I'm walking around with a matted fro or anything. :nono:

What's MHM?

I'm not 4c but my hair webbed up even when I was relaxed. :rolleyes: It was a porosity issue. Now that I'm natural, I do MHM (when it's loose, I'm on a personal PS challenge) and I no longer have the issue. If you don't feel like doing alladat (understandable), there are a few products that target porosity specifically. One that I never see mentioned is Zoto's Porosity Equalizer, it's a liquidy leave in. Also, anything meant to be used after color will usually close the cuticle.

Back