Ladies WSL and longer - How often use direct heat?

Researching

I'm at braw strap now, but just thinking that when I get to waist length I will want to ditch the buns, but don't want to loose length. How often do you ladies use direct heat (blow dryers or flat irons) and still keep your length?

Last edited:
I use heat 2-4 times a year; straightening requires too much effort to be a regular occurrence, :lol:. I usually wear buns, updos and ponytails and the occasional twistout/braidout.

3 to 4 times a year at the most...I used to do it more often at a shorter length but now it is too time consuming, so I just airdry :)

I'm close to WSL and I would say one a month or twice is something special is happening. But I also go some months without using heat at all. I only use it for special occasions or if im going on a date.

Until I got to waist length, I used direct heat only once. Then I got adventurous and used a curling iron several times over the course of two months. For the first time in my hair journey, I noticed widespread split ends, dryness, and thinness of my ends. So, for me, I just say no to direct heat.

Until I got to waist length, I used direct heat only once. Then I got adventurous and used a curling iron several times over the course of two months. For the first time in my hair journey, I noticed widespread split ends, dryness, and thinness of my ends. So, for me, I just say no to direct heat.

I noticed the exact same thing but I am not waistlength. Just one month of too much heat and i have splits on top of splits on some hairs:nono: How long did it take for you to get your hair back in shape?

I'm touching WL and I use heat about 4x a year... You can ditch buns w/o excessive heat...if I want a straight/sleek style I rollerset w/ large rollers and saran wrap...

i use a flat iron like every 3 months or less. i use a blow dryer with diffuser about once ever other month or less (more in the winter so i dont go out with wet hair).

but i agree with kami. if you want to go straight with minimal to no heat, do a roller set with larger rollers and a bonnet/hooded dryer or air dry

How do you ladies resist the urge to show your length?

I think the longer someone's hair gets, the less heat is needed to show length. Because like...the longer it is, the heavier it tends to be, and the heavier it is, the more it tends to just sort of straighten itself out. I know I've heard of some natural ladies who say that they notice a looser texture the longer their hair is, becauseit hangs and the curls end up stretched out.
So depending on the texture, sometimes, all you might need for a straight, sleek look is a good rollerset and silk wrap.

I use direct heat no more than 4X/year but even then I air dry and then use the Maxiglide. I may do a few rollersets in the winter also but I usually stick to to air dried twist outs for the winter and WNGs for the summer.

I am hoping to wear more straight styles after I reach wl.
it seem like rollerset / saran wrap gets ur hair just as straight
*pleasently suprised*

I noticed the exact same thing but I am not waistlength. Just one month of too much heat and i have splits on top of splits on some hairs:nono: How long did it take for you to get your hair back in shape?
The damaged ends are still damaged. Fortunately, the damage is not severe and has not resulted in major breakage. However, I notice a difference in the ends; now, when I manipulate my hair, I notice a few strands of broken hair in my hands when I used to have no breakage at all. I will hold on to the ends until I have grown out the inches and then, I will cut them off. Lesson learned.

I use direct heat no more than 2 times a month...sometimes i go a month or two without using any heat at all...but i ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS make sure i deep condition really really well and use a heat protectant serum especially on my ends before i use direct heat.

I don't have the patience to rollerset my hair:nono:

And i don't like having my hair down all the time bc its starting to feel heavier and its always getting caught or stuck on something:grin:...so prefer to have it up anyway....but doing a simple bun or updo is a breeze...my hair is easier to take care of than it was when my hair was shorter:yep:

Last edited:
Wow! Thanks ladies for all the responces. I guess I'm going to have to learn how to perfect my roller setting. My last roller set came out looking like Diana Ross lol! But, I really want to wear my hair down more often when it gets to WSL. Sometimes I get bun depression because before my journey I wore my APL hair down daily. I've been on my jouney for three months now. I wore my hair down one day last week when I relaxed and was like WOW!!! My hair has never been this long before!!! So I got supper motivated and put my hair right back up again. But now this week I'm going through a bun depression and heat withdrawls.

The damaged ends are still damaged. Fortunately, the damage is not severe and has not resulted in major breakage. However, I notice a difference in the ends; now, when I manipulate my hair, I notice a few strands of broken hair in my hands when I used to have no breakage at all. I will hold on to the ends until I have grown out the inches and then, I will cut them off. Lesson learned.

I've experienced the same thing recently. I'm also following your remedy to slowly trim the damaged ends. Fortunately it's only in one small section.

I'm getting close to WSL, and I've agree with everyone else that it's best to leave the direct heat alone.

Last edited:
I have only used heat once this year. I might straighten this weekend since Dh requested it.

Retaining legth is not the reason I don't use heat. Could you imagine the time it would take to wash, condition, blowdry and flatiron all this hair? Rollersetting is out of the question until I get a super dryer.

Try spiral setting, which is a great alternative and as the curls fall the prettier the set becomes. I have actually found this as a great protective style. Seriously...

This is exactly what I'm going through :wallbash:. No more blowdrying and flat ironing for me for a while.

At least twice a month.

I can go some months without ever straightening my hair. But I found that doing it at least once or twice a month is ok. I noticed that I would have a few split ends though, and I think if I went without deep treatments my ends would look worse. So if you're gonna straighten more than twice a month,PLEASE don't forget your DTs :P

Back