Ladies that Exercise

mattapansista

Im wondering how everyone takes care of their hair if they exercise on a regular basis. Do you wrap your hair up when you exercise, do you wash everytime you exercise? My hair is very short like Halle Berrys was so im looking for tips. TIA

I exercise daily or every other day. I wear my hair in a ponytail or bun. One week, I had a rollerset full of curls. I just placed a hair net over my curls to keep them off my neck and face). I only wash once a week. I don't experience a lot of scalp sweating. I wouldn't mind washing my hair after I exercise but I just think it would be too much manipulation for my transitioning hair.

mattapansista said:
Im wondering how everyone takes care of their hair if they exercise on a regular basis. Do you wrap your hair up when you exercise, do you wash everytime you exercise? My hair is very short like Halle Berrys was so im looking for tips. TIA

I go to the gym twice a week and I wrap my hair with a black scarf each time. It's either that or I put my hair in a ponytail and then I shampoo and condition when I get home. One time I didn't wash my hair and it felt extremely dry because sweat dries your hair up.

That's what I do.:)

I advice you to wash it each time you go to the gym, or at least rinse out the sweat from your hair or try conditioner washing (CW).

Last edited:
I now wash my hair on the days I do cardio because I sweat a lot in my scalp.

Today in the gymI washed with conditioner left it on while I showered then rinsed it out and blotted the excess water. Then I added NTM leave in.

I used a wide tooth comb and blowdryer on cool (helped get my body temp down as well) and when my hair was 80-90% dry I put it in a bun (my daily style). I added a little shine pomade and put a silk scarf on while I did my make up and went on my way :D

I usually go home and wash it but wanted to see how it would come out if I washed at the gym. They have a pretty good conditioner there so I don't have to bring my own. I just need a little WGO.

If I have time one day I will bring a deep conditioner and sit in the steam room for 10 minutes.

I exercise 5 days per week. My hair is usually in a bun or ponytail 24/7, I shampoo wash once a week then CO wash every other day.

I exercise 5-6 days a week, CO wash daily and shampoo on Sundays. My daily style is a bun, phony or 3/4 fall. So far my hair seems to be really thriving (but the styles are a little boring after a while).

I exercise 3-4 times a week at the gym and I usually put my hair up in a ponytail or twist into french roll and pin the hair.I do have sweat on my scalp when I workout so I do a CO wash right when I get home. I shampoo once a week and deep conditioning treatments once a week on Sat. HTH:D

Last edited:
I exercise almost daily and I rinse/con wash my hair each time. I also wear a bun each time as well. Yanno, when I had the halle cut, I just wrapped my hair afterwards and it only took an hour to dry. Do you not have that kind of time after exercising? I'm sure you could use a hooded dryer to speed it up if you have one...but I did curl each time as well. That didn't bother me since I was keeping it short at the time. As it got longer, I wrapped and just finger combed it out a little after it dried and that was it.

Thanks Leshia. I plan on exercising during my lunch break around 1230 so i cant use a hooded dryer. Ill just have to tie it down very tightly while im exercising and hope for the best. :ohwell:

mattapansista said:
Thanks Leshia. I plan on exercising during my lunch break around 1230 so i cant use a hooded dryer. Ill just have to tie it down very tightly while im exercising and hope for the best. :ohwell:

But if you just combed it tight against your head after you washed it, wouldn't it be dry in an hour? Or do you have just an hour or so for exercise and so forth? I'm guessing you have just an hour total...I also used to comb my hair straight back and put on make-up and I was good to go...Just out of curiosity, can you not work out before you go to work?

I'm trying to exercise at least 5 days a week. I pull my hair back, twist it and pin it up before doing so. I CO wash my hair 2-3 days a week. I shampoo about once a month.

Leshia said:
But if you just combed it tight against your head after you washed it, wouldn't it be dry in an hour? Or do you have just an hour or so for exercise and so forth? I'm guessing you have just an hour total...I also used to comb my hair straight back and put on make-up and I was good to go...Just out of curiosity, can you not work out before you go to work?

Well i have to go back to work after ive finished working out so i cant keep my head tied up. I only have an hour. My job has an exercise center so i want to go during my lunch time because thats the only time they offer cardio. They do have classes from 630 am-730 but they are yoga and pilates classes which i dont want to take.

Oh, i see what you're trying to do now. Well, looks like tying it down and hoping for the best is your only option at that hour, eh? Maybe it won't be too bad. I do remember when I was sporting an ultra short cut and I'd run at the gym, whoo, my hair was soaked. I do hope you find a good solution that allows you to still be cute through the rest of your workday...

Leshia said:
Oh, i see what you're trying to do now. Well, looks like tying it down and hoping for the best is your only option at that hour, eh? Maybe it won't be too bad. I do remember when I was sporting an ultra short cut and I'd run at the gym, whoo, my hair was soaked. I do hope you find a good solution that allows you to still be cute through the rest of your workday...

Thanks Leshia-pray for me :lol:

Back