LADIES I NEED YOUR HELP MORE THAN EVER

Mertzy

OKAY HERE WE GO.......... About a year ago I went to my on again/off again stylist for a relaxer. I hadn't been to her in months, but decided that I needed a professional to help restore my hair. In those few months that I had stopped going to her I put in a home relaxer :nono:.( i know ,I know lol) She told me that my hair was really messed up and blah... blah... and more blah. ANYWAY she proceeded to do whatever she did to my hair and then asked me how I wanted it styled. I said a roller set. She said no, because my hair has too much texture because she put a texturizer in my hair. I got a little annoyed because I felt she should have told me that prior to doing it, but that's another story. MOVING ON TO MY PROBLEM..........

Because of that little stunt she pulled I cannot rollerset my hair at all. It comes out really kinky.(I have tight coarse curls). The only thing I can do is flatiron and all the heat is damaging my hair. I no longer go to my stylist anymore and I prefer to do my own hair because some stylist just do whatever they feel. I plan on doing a relaxer retouch soon and I want to bring the relaxer to my ends when I finish doing my retouch. Should I do this while my hair is in it's curly state or is it okay to do it while my hair is still straight from the flat iron? If I do it while it is curly will it be okay to moisten with water (NO SHAMPOO) to get it curly the same day I relax? Sorry it is so long, but I had to explain everything. I really hope some of you ladies can help me out with this one. With all the knowledgeable women on here ,someone has to know something!!! And don't be afraid to give suggestions good or bad. I would just hate to see that this had 100 views, but only two comments!!! :grin:

OKAY HERE WE GO.......... About a year ago I went to my on again/off again stylist for a relaxer. I hadn't been to her in months, but decided that I needed a professional to help restore my hair. In those few months that I had stopped going to her I put in a home relaxer :nono:.( i know ,I know lol) She told me that my hair was really messed up and blah... blah... and more blah. ANYWAY she proceeded to do whatever she did to my hair and then asked me how I wanted it styled. I said a roller set. She said no, because my hair has too much texture because she put a texturizer in my hair. I got a little annoyed because I felt she should have told me that prior to doing it, but that's another story. MOVING ON TO MY PROBLEM..........

Because of that little stunt she pulled I cannot rollerset my hair at all. It comes out really kinky.(I have tight coarse curls). The only thing I can do is flatiron and all the heat is damaging my hair. I no longer go to my stylist anymore and I prefer to do my own hair because some stylist just do whatever they feel. I plan on doing a relaxer retouch soon and I want to bring the relaxer to my ends when I finish doing my retouch. Should I do this while my hair is in it's curly state or is it okay to do it while my hair is still straight from the flat iron? If I do it while it is curly will it be okay to moisten with water (NO SHAMPOO) to get it curly the same day I relax? Sorry it is so long, but I had to explain everything. I really hope some of you ladies can help me out with this one. With all the knowledgeable women on here ,someone has to know something!!! And don't be afraid to give suggestions good or bad. I would just hate to see that this had 100 views, but only two comments!!! :grin:

Hi Friend,

I can't really tell what condition your hair is in but I would definitely recommend getting into a state where it will be healthy enough to relax before relaxing again...What products are you using and what is your regimen...

I can't believe she texturized your hair after manipulating it!!!!

O.K., I didn't want to be one of those that viewed the thread but offered no help, but I am sorry to say that I don't know much about self relaxing so I can't help you. There are a lot of ladies that self relax and would be able to come in and give you some good advice.

BB

Hi Friend,

I can't really tell what condition your hair is in but I would definitely recommend getting into a state where it will be healthy enough to relax before relaxing again...What products are you using and what is your regimen...

I can't believe she texturized your hair after manipulating it!!!!
I wash with Design essentials Moisture shampoo, I then use Aphogee 2 min ( but leave on for five) I then deep condition with Paul Mitchell super -charge conditioner ( I do this once a week) From there I spray with Apghogee leave in, aphogee green tea , Paul Mitchell moisture mist and Mizani Therma strength for heat protection. It sounds like a lot ,but I only use a little of each. I detangle, add a little coconut oil, then sit under hooded dryer.Once it's dried I spray on a little sheen and then flat iron. I moisturize and seal with Profective anti- breakage and coconut oil. (I do that at least 3x a week)My hair is in pretty good condition. It has grown a little since starting this regimen 5 months ago. But I'm starting to some wear and tear from the Chi iron.

I wash with Design essentials Moisture shampoo, I then use Aphogee 2 min ( but leave on for five) I then deep condition with Paul Mitchell super -charge conditioner ( I do this once a week) From there I spray with Apghogee leave in, aphogee green tea , Paul Mitchell moisture mist and Mizani Therma strength for heat protection. It sounds like a lot ,but I only use a little of each. I detangle, add a little coconut oil, then sit under hooded dryer.Once it's dried I spray on a little sheen and then flat iron. I moisturize and seal with Profective anti- breakage and coconut oil. (I do that at least 3x a week)My hair is in pretty good condition. It has grown a little since starting this regimen 5 months ago. But I'm starting to some wear and tear from the Chi iron.

I would not recommend putting the relaxer on the ends of your hair - just the new growth. Those are some good products. You might want to cut back on the heat on your hair. The only way I do my hair is roller setting, there is a shortcut to rollersetting that I have since learned from this board.

Some of the ladies do ponytail rollersetting, putting about 4-6 ponytails in your hair and setting it, when it is dry, you can either flat iron,blow dry or wrap your hair to get the ponytail dent out. The chicks I have seen do this - there hair turned out great (sparklingflame and *fabulousity*come to mind)

I would not recommend putting the relaxer on the ends of your hair - just the new growth. Those are some good products. You might want to cut back on the heat on your hair. The only way I do my hair is roller setting, there is a shortcut to rollersetting that I have since learned from this board.

Some of the ladies do ponytail rollersetting, putting about 4-6 ponytails in your hair and setting it, when it is dry, you can either flat iron,blow dry or wrap your hair to get the ponytail dent out. The chicks I have seen do this - there hair turned out great (sparklingflame and *fabulousity*come to mind)
I totally agree that the heat is the problem. I attempted to roller set my hair a couple of times, but being that my hair is so tightly curled the set doesn't come out smooth :sad:. I was hoping that once my hair was straighter on the ends I can opt for the rollerset and not deal with the flat iron at all. Thus causing less breakage. But to be honest the whole situation is truly frustrating, because If I continue to use heat I continue with breakage, but If I apply the relaxer to my ends I still risk the chance of breakage because of her stupid self. Sorry,I'm so mad at that woman for putting me in this situation without asking.

It sounds like you're trying to do a corrective? to straighten out the texturized hair and make it bone straight or atleast straighter? If that's the case, a corrective is done by putting the relaxer down the shaft of the hair past the new growth, but I would not recommend doing this at home. I'd advise finding a qualified stylist to do it.

Thanks, I was thinking that maybe I shouls go back to a salon, but I'm a little nervous about that. I need to do something though and quick, because this is driving me crazy.

I would suggest you check the stickies - there is information there about doing a corrective relaxer yourself. If you're comfortable relaxing your own hair and follow the directions of ladies who have done so successfully, you'll probably be fine. it is entirely possible that your ends are going to need to be trimmed - just prepare yourself.

If it were my hair, I would do a protein treatment, a couple of moisturizing deep conditioning, a few dYSays later, spray saa on the hair, let it dry, base like crazy, and go for it being very careful of the time the relaxer is on my hair.

It sounds like you're trying to do a corrective? to straighten out the texturized hair and make it bone straight or atleast straighter? If that's the case, a corrective is done by putting the relaxer down the shaft of the hair past the new growth, but I would not recommend doing this at home. I'd advise finding a qualified stylist to do it.

ITA...(sorry I didn't want to be one of those people that just viewed and didn't post. I actually try to always post something)

I would suggest you check the stickies - there is information there about doing a corrective relaxer yourself. If you're comfortable relaxing your own hair and follow the directions of ladies who have done so successfully, you'll probably be fine. it is entirely possible that your ends are going to need to be trimmed - just prepare yourself.

If it were my hair, I would do a protein treatment, a couple of moisturizing deep conditioning, a few dYSays later, spray saa on the hair, let it dry, base like crazy, and go for it being very careful of the time the relaxer is on my hair.
Thanks, I'm off to check the stickies now. I might also do a strand test to see how my hair reacts.I will monitor it for a few weeks. From there I will determine if it is a good idea to do the whole head. But Prior to doing any of that I will do a stronger protein treatment. Thanks Ladies and wish me luck!!!!!

Back