Ladies, I need some help!

ScorpioF

I recently joined LHCF. I have been natural (unrelaxed) since 2000, yet only recently has my hair been showing some signs of significant growth. During the same appointment for my last relaxer, my hairdresser cut about 6 inches of length from my head, stating that my hair was damaged. She left me with less than one inch of hair. I had less hair than my husband at the time. :eek:

Since then, I have been wearing braids, which gave me some time to grow out my hair. In 2003, I stopped wearing braids since my hair had finally grown to a length with which I was comfortable. But I feared getting another relaxer. Soon thereafter, I began to wear a weave. Two months ago, I removed my last weave from my head.

I noticed some growth, but I also saw some excessive shedding. :perplexed I realized that my hair needed moisture. So I have been working to improve the state of my hair. It has stopped shedding (unless I have not combed my hair in a few days, which is normal). However, this is where my dilemna begins. I have NO idea what to do with my hair. I have 4a/b hair. Normally, it is very thick. But I realized that I lost some hair with the weaving that my former hairdresser would do. The roots are thicker than the length of my hair (this tells me that it is growing back). I have aggressively using olive oil in my hair and scalp, which has helped a lot.

When wet, my hair shrinks to less than one-half to one-fourth of its length when stretched. I like my hair with length. so I am considering a return to the relaxer.

However, I wanted to get a sense from you all the products that you use that have best helped you to remedy your hair issues:
dry scalp:
dry, damaged hair:
shedding:
maintaining length:
getting rid of the itchies:
conditioning:
shampooing:
leave-ins:

Also, how do relaxers and texturizers differ? What products have helped you?
relaxers:
texturizers:

Thank you so much!

Welcome ScorpioF! :wave:

I am not natural but here you'll find many naturals with beautiful hair of all lengths who can really help you with your decision.
I've learned that relaxers and texturizers are the same chemicals. Texturizers are like a very mild relaxer.

I suggest trying some protective styles like flat twists (There are some examples in my fotki website below) make sure that your hair is moisturized. You can leave in Mane N Tail Conditioner and use Shea Nut Butter (available at your local health food store)to seal the ends. I know this isn't a style you can wear forever, but it's a start. I've heard Dr. Miracles nape and temple cream is good for sparse areas, I'm sure it would be great for shedding.

You might also use a good old-fashioned Ion or Infusion leave in conditioner after a was to help fortify your hair shaft.

Hope this helps. I'd LOVE to see some pics!

I'm transitioning to natural and have 5 months of new growth. After letting my relaxer grow out, I see that my texture is 4a (I think). My natural hair grows out in tiny spiral coils.

Products I've used that best helped me to remedy my hair issues:
dry scalp: I never really had a problem with dry scalp, but drink more water
dry, damaged hair: Elasta QP Breakage Control Serum... also trim split/thin ends, less heat, less combing, moisturize and condition
shedding: I only had this problem post Accutane treatment in 2003, Doo Gro Stimulating Growth Oil helped thicken my hair
maintaining length: any type of moisturizer (Best ones for me are S-Curl No Drip and ElastaQP Recovery) and seal with oil/serum (Wild Growth Oil)
getting rid of the itchies: Tea Tree Oil
conditioning: LeKair Cholesterol Plus
shampooing: Herbal Essence (Rose Hips), Motions
leave-ins: NTM Silk Touch cream, Motions Nourish (has keratin in it)

Also, how do relaxers and texturizers differ?
Relaxers are left on the hair longer than texturizers. Texturizers result in a looser curl pattern while relaxing straightens it.

What products have helped you?
relaxers: when I was relaxed, I used ElastaQP, Motions, HawaiianSilky. I mainly used Mild strength but I have used Regular before.
texturizers: never did one

Hope that helps! ;)

i suggest moisturization regularly meaning 1-2x a week at least with oil...either in a thick texture like grease...(not necessarily grease) or in a runny consistency(examples...essential oils mixed with purified water, castor oil, or coconut oil) or butters(shea and cocoa are the best to me)...or an activator...and some conditioner washes at least 2x a week...and a deep conditioning weekly....i do soy milk protein conditioners weekly when deep conditioning with a moisturizing conditioner....i leave conditioner in when i wash my hair to control frizzies and for extra umph in moisturization

im mostly 4a with some 3c...i find that moisture has to be forced into my strands and on the regular in several types of ways...i know very well about shrinkage...weighing ur hair down works for most...im still trying to master that and it's been mths or u can do banding to stretch your hair

First of all welcome! The ladies here are really great and I'm sure that will a little research and experimentation, you'll find products that work for you. I'm a natural 3c/4a/b ? (types confuse me- but the lion's share of my hair is small corkscrews when wet) and like, you I have lived under braids. When I first got out I wanted to run to a relaxer but now that I'm getting used to my natural hair, it is much more manageable. Things that have worked for me-shampooing every 2 weeks with CON or Nexxus Therappe and conditioner washing with Suave Tropical Coconut. I still have shedding and breakage but I have reduced it by avoiding frequent manipulation (I don't comb dry at all anymore) and I deep condition alternatively with protein (Humectress, EVOO, & Keraphix) and moisture (NTM + Humecto + Hot Oil Six). I also moisturize with products with glycerin and put shea butter in my hair. WGO on the scalp reduces the dryness and I don't have any itches because I wash relatively frequently (3-5 days). As far as whether to go to chemicals or not, I think that's a personal choice. I like my hair straight but I'm not bent on having it straight all the time so being natural works well for me. Also, I'm risk adverse because I had once the experience of my hair breaking off after a chemical treatment. The difference in thickness from the roots to the ends is likely due to breakage (because of dryness, or maniputation). I've seem this on both relaxed/texturized heads and naturals and my current plan strategy to avoid this is to keep my hair in protective styles (braids, twists, buns, baggie) 80%- 90% of the time. I'm still learning myself but I hope this was useful.

Back