Kinky Twists: I want them BAD.

MizaniMami

I a feenin' to get these type of braids (pic) this summer!
PICN2136.JPG

Has anyone had a positive experience with them? Did they cause breakage? What kind of hair did you use???

Pros? Cons? Hell, tell me anything about them!

My mom's best friend has them in now. She usually wears 2 strands with extensions but she likes the kinky twists much better. You have to be careful with twisted braids though because if you leave them in too long they can lock on your hair.

bmoreflyygirl said:
You have to be careful with twisted braids though because if you leave them in too long they can lock on your hair.
What she said. This woman put kinky twists in my hair when my TWA was only an inch long. Homegirl was BAD! Anyways they last as long as regular braids and I didnt see any adverse effects from wearing them. Just dont leave them in too long! :)

bmoreflyygirl said:
My mom's best friend has them in now. She usually wears 2 strands with extensions but she likes the kinky twists much better. You have to be careful with twisted braids though because if you leave them in too long they can lock on your hair.

wow, I didn't know this. thanks for posting this....really thanks so much.

I think once you get in the 2-3 month range it's time to take them out. Because the twists are well twisted lol they kind of wrap around your new growth. My friend said it was like her new growth and then a knot and the twist had wrapped around the knot and she had a terrible time getting them out. She had Senagalese twists that time. But they were small. She now gets the same style but they are braided and the ends are straight instead of curled. I've never left braids in that long personally, but I do know of people who have had regular braids lock on their hair too. I think the twists have a tendency to lock quicker. There's some shampoo you can get that will loosen them up but I'm not sure what it's called. Sometimes even that doesnt work. Another friend of mines had to get all her hair cut into a pixie cut that was tapered in the back because the braids locked in her hair. That was two years ago. Personally, I think it was the best thing she ever did though. Her hair is growing and healthy now. It wouldn't get past her chin before. I think she curled it too much.

I have them in now but mine are really long, like mid back length. I don't you should leave them in longer than 2 months. Make sure to moisturize them everyday (a spray usually works really well), wash/cowash once a week ans wear a satin scarf at night. You can use the marley hair because they will usually hold better. Twists tend to slip out more than braids. You can also ask the hair braider to braid the base (is she doesn't already) to help them hold more.

I absolutely loved these braids:love:!!!! These were the first braids I had when I BC'd. I think I did them 3 times, each time a different length. There are different versions of the kinky hair. The one I used was soft and silky, if I remember correctly.

ITA with what Raven posted.

I just got kinky twists in today. They're ok. I'm only leaving it in for five to six weeks.

The key ingredient to getting the kinky twists you desire is to get the right hair. I can't emphasize this enough. So if you like the pic you posted, go to a legitimate hair supplier and figure out what type of hair was used.

RavenIvygurl said:
I have them in now but mine are really long, like mid back length. I don't you should leave them in longer than 2 months. Make sure to moisturize them everyday (a spray usually works really well), wash/cowash once a week ans wear a satin scarf at night. You can use the marley hair because they will usually hold better. Twists tend to slip out more than braids. You can also ask the hair braider to braid the base (is she doesn't already) to help them hold more.

I want mines to be bsl :grin:

Back