keracare dry & itchy scalp shampoo and conditioner

hondahoney007

Does anyone use these products? My hair has fallen out in the back of my head. My hair is around shoulder length but the spot (approx where I make my ponytail)is 1/3 the length of my pinky and very dry. I just realized that I haven't had a perm since the beginning of October. This might not seem like a long time to some of you but I usually only go about 5 weeks between relaxers(affirm senst scalp). My scalp has been itching like crazy and my hair is falling out like crazy. I washed and conditioned with neutrogena t-gel shampoo & cond but it did not help. My hair is still coming out and my scalp is still itching like crazy. I was going to get a perm tomorrow but since I've been scratching my scalp so much that is out of the question. I'm only getting a wash & set with the keracare products and a deep condition with the 5-in-1 affirm reconstructor. If anyone has any advice or tips on how I can stop the breakage and grow this dry patch to the length of the rest of my hair I'm all ears.
frown.gif
Sorry so long

Re: keracare dry & itchy scalp shampoo and conditi

I also suffer from a "special" area on the middle of my head that is the driest and curliest area on my head. I have found that extra conditioning and minimal manipulation have worked best for me. Unless you have a problem with your scalp (ie., psoriasis etc...) the kerakare humectant is the best moisturizing conditioner I have seen out there. It may be that your hair is weak (if you relaxed earlier than 6 weeks you might benefit from a strong protein condtioner (like aphogee or many other protein conditioners mentioned on the board). The only other potential recommendation I can make is nizoral shampoo etc... if you have lots of dandrif/ dry scalp. You could be tearing your hair with your nails! If we had a little mor information about your hair care routine: like combs used, whether you brush, how often you wash, etc.. There might be something else I or anyone else on the board can point out that may be helpful!
HTH
wave.gif

When I am overdue for a touch up, my scalp itches like crazy. It also sheds more (all over), and there is more breakage. If you are experiencing this all over, then I am wondering if this is just a sign that you are overdue for a touch up. (But if you scratched today, wait about 3-4 days before getting the touchup so that area can heal a bit.) The protein will add thickness and strength to your strands and possibly reduce the breakage a bit, but ultimately, unless you are transitioning, I would go ahead and schedule that touch up.

As far as patch breakage/shedding and dryness, that sounds more like overprocessed hair. On that area, I would definately make sure I had 1 inch of newgrowth before touching up that area. I would also cover that area with petroleum so that only the newgrowth is relaxed. Treat it with care. And like the others said don't manipulate it, dont put direct heat on it. Keep it moist and sealed.

Re: keracare dry & itchy scalp shampoo and conditi

Thanks for the tips Natasha. I was getting a wash & set once a wk with deep cond(affirm 5-in-1), & wrap(no blowdry). I would put the Mizani H2O on my hair twice a wk. I also have the gentle treatment semi-perm. color cocoa brown in my hair. I've been using the color since about June of this year. Since I work outside I usually wear my hair in a ponytail or wrapped with a scarf and hat on it. I haven't been getting my once a wk wash & sets due to work hours changed. (I was going on Mondays),(Saturdays-too busy). I'm starting back again so I will be watching for the next couple of weeks to see if my condition improves. Thanks again

Thanks perfectpeace. My hair is also shedding all over. I'm starting to think its probably due to the fact that I'm overdue for a perm. I thought it might be something else because of the dry patch, but I think maybe my hair is just the weakest in that spot. I think I'm going to wait until Monday for the perm. I don't even
think vaseline on my scalp would prevent the perm from burning. The salon I go to mixes vinegar with the neutralizing shampoo when they rinse the perm out. They say it prevents scabs when a person scratches their scalp. It tingles when I scratch lightly so I know my head would probably be on fire if I got a perm now. I'm going to take extra care of my hair for the next couple of wks and see how everything goes. I have been using some of the ubh moisturizer on my daughters hair(loves it), I'm going to try some on my hair. Thanks again.

Back