Just Dropped Some Knowledge on a Wannabe Stylist

Thanks to LHCF i just dropped some knowledge on a wannabe stylist. Here's what happened:

I was talking to a friend and her mother-in-law, when this woman approached us about being a hair model for her. I was not interested, but curious to know more, so i aksed her to explain. She said that she is doing a demo for a Salon in Brooklyn aka trying to get a job. Now I am 8 weeks posts with lots of new growth and trying to stretch for another 4 at least.

She looked at my hair and said i looked like i could use a relaxer. I said i am not interested in relaxing because i'm trying to stretch and it's healthier for MY hair. She said not really. Then i broke it down as far as what happens when you over process and the benefits of stretching. I then went on to say that in any event I only use one Relaxer, PHYTO. She asked if there was a reason i used only that type (didn't know what it was, but that's ok) and why I couldn't use any ole relaxer. I said everyone's hair reacts differently depending on the type of relaxer. She said oh what do you mean :confused:. I then went into lye vs no lye and the various results that one may get.

By this time she is just standing there not knowing what to say, looking slighty bewildered :spinning:. I capped it off by letting her know that i belong to a hair care forum, that have countless examples of women that employs some of the methods we discussed with great success. I said as far as hair care goes, i am a do it yourselfer. :yep:

Finally she mumbled something and slinked away. This woman had this short butchered style (not a cute cut) with a patch of cool-aid red in the front, and all slicked down with what appears to be brown gel, or some variation of that. She had the nerve to say you can get a nice style like mine. Uhmmm....Hell to DA . NO!!:nono:

As soon as she left my friend and her mother in law bust out laughing. :lachen:

Girl DROP IT LIKE IT'S HOT!

On another note: while she didn't know what she was talking about, we have to remember that stretching isn't for everyone. For some, it can cause more breakage...if I was still relaxed, I'd only stretch 8weeks top, cause I tend to have lots of newgrowth.

Girl DROP IT LIKE IT'S HOT!

On another note: while she didn't know what she was talking about, we have to remember that stretching isn't for everyone. For some, it can cause more breakage...if I was still relaxed, I'd only stretch 8weeks top, cause I tend to have lots of newgrowth.

True! I didn't want to make it too long, but I basically went into that as well. My whole thing is that it depends on the head of hair, which i told her. She was trying to give me the one size fits all hair treatment.

True! I didn't want to make it too long, but I basically went into that as well. My whole thing is that it depends on the head of hair, which i told her. She was trying to give me the one size fits all hair treatment.

:nono:Sometimes I wonder how some people even get their license. It's such a shame.

Perhaps she acted that way because you aren't even licenced and you seemed to understand more about Black hair than she did!! It seems to be a "pride issue" with lots of stylists, as in the client telling YOU, the stylist, how to do hair!!

Originally posted by Blackoutzangel05
Poor thing is probably at home trying to figure out what to do with her life now...LOL:lachen::lachen::lachen:

Oh I should not be laghing,:lachen: But it's funny, And I would have had a hard time hearing out her presentation once I got a long hard look at her "kool-aid Red hair patch"...I'm sorry I just don't think I could have kept a straight face. Maybe you (OP) did her a favor and she will realize she needs to edcate herself more, before she goes out preaching to women about their hair health.

:nono:Sometimes I wonder how some people even get their license. It's such a shame.

You have to realize that the "cosmetology school" rules go out the window once some get that license. In addition to that (when I was in school) most of the students were more interested in the practical (actually doing hair/salon services) than theory (book work). Also some schools give better education that others which could be the reason.

I can say from experience that I have not seen a cosmetology book (miladys and pivot point) say anything about using teh same BRAND of relaxer. They warn against going back and forth between lye and no lye but not brands. But even still most every day women have a preference for a specific relaxers because if you've been using them long enough you know not to mess with a good thing when you find it.

Thats a shame and she went to school for all that and you schooled her, lol. I love taking care of my hair now, I thank God I found this forum, If had the personality I would consider going to school to be a stylist. Then again I'll probably learn more here than I ever could in a classroom,lol

Thats a shame and she went to school for all that and you schooled her, lol. I love taking care of my hair now, I thank God I found this forum, If had the personality I would consider going to school to be a stylist. Then again I'll probably learn more here than I ever could in a classroom,lol

My hair is NOT perfect, but if i had allowed that woman in my hair....I would have walked away looking like :hair: and feeling :burnup:. So i did us both a favor.
It's been so long since i came across a stylist that actually takes the time out to do what's best for the person in the chair. I got tired of walking out with a cut when i asked for a trim or having relaxer pulled through from root to tip when i ask (and i shouldn't have to) to only touch up the roots. :rolleyes:

Back