Jeri Curls

Mrs. Verde

I am not sure if this topic has been discussed, but I am curious about Jeri Curls. I know some people still rock them (probably not on this site), but what do you think about the curl that makes people's hair grow. You know back in the day people had LONG Jeri Curls. If memory serves me correctly I think curl activator has a lot of glycerin in them. What do you guys think?

I was thinking about that same thing a few days ago. I think the reason why hair grew so long with jeri curls is because of the constant moisturizing of the hair with the activator and jeri curl gels. Also, we(meaning myself too) used to baggy our heads at night to keep the moisture in the jeri curl. I used to see people back in the day, sport their baggy all day long thinking it was cool.:grin: Yesiree, I was dripping the juice too. I had a curl back in the late 80's to early 90's. Yep, my hair was longer back then too and I think it was because of the moisture. I'm learning now, that moisture is the key ingredient to hair growth for me.

I am not sure if this topic has been discussed, but I am curious about Jeri Curls. I know some people still rock them (probably not on this site), but what do you think about the curl that makes people's hair grow. You know back in the day people had LONG Jeri Curls. If memory serves me correctly I think curl activator has a lot of glycerin in them. What do you guys think?

I'd heard that, but it never happened for me. My hair has never gotten past my shoulders whether I was natural, wearing a curl, or had a relaxer. :nono:

If I were to guess, I'd have to say that maintenance (or lack thereof). Has a lot to do with it. A 'wash and go' really is a reality with a curl because you can't (or, at least, that's what I was told) put heat on it. There's also no reason to put rollers in (because it's already curled) and wrapping really wouldn't make much sense. You also (as I recall) can't do a whole heck of a lot of washing because that would dry your hair out.

I suppose the constant moisturizing also plays a role because dryness generally equals breakage. But then again, even when people had a dry curl, I don't recall them having the type of breakage that people do when their relaxed hair gets dry. It also didn't seem like the contrast between new growth and processed hair caused as many problems... hmm... maybe a curl just doesn't dry the hair as much to begin with?

I was thinking about that same thing a few days ago. I think the reason why hair grew so long with jeri curls is because of the constant moisturizing of the hair with the activator and jeri curl gels. Also, we(meaning myself too) used to baggy our heads at night to keep the moisture in the jeri curl. I used to see people back in the day, sport their baggy all day long thinking it was cool.:grin: Yesiree, I was dripping the juice too. I had a curl back in the late 80's to early 90's. Yep, my hair was longer back then too and I think it was because of the moisture. I'm learning now, that moisture is the key ingredient to hair growth for me.

this is soooo true! Moisture is key to hair growth in my experience!

Curl products contain ammonium thioglycolate, which isnt as harsh as the alkali relaxers, so I guess ppl werent damaging their hair as much

I agree with this. My hair was the longest its EVER been in my life while in a curl. It has never reached those lengths again since then. I think the curl did do more damage then good tho to my scalp hence why my hair has never reached the length since. I think I was too young when I got the curl (I was 8 or 9) and my hair never really had a chance to reach its full potential before chemicals altered my scalp.

Back