ITCHING w/ "No Poo" Method

mrsdst

ITCHING w/ \"No Poo\" Method

Hi Ladies!! This is my first post. Up until know I have just been reading but itching has started. I have been really into my hair for about 15 months. I just read about the no shampoo method. I thought I would try it. I went out and bought the Suave Vanilla conditioner. I used that as the shampoo, deep conditioned and wet set. I used my regular oil on my scalp and ends (jojoba, Wild Grow, shea butter). I have not itched over the past 15 months but now my scalp is itching. Any advise as to what could be the culprit? I am going to wash it in the morning with one of my gentle (no SLS) shampoos. I want to try the "no poo" methods again.
Mrs DST /images/graemlins/confused.gif
4a/relaxed
longer than shoulder length hair
GOAL:bottom of bra strap (3-4 inches away)

Re: ITCHING w/ \"No Poo\" Method

Welcome to the forum!

You might want to post this in the "Hair Care Tips and Product Review Discussion" topic.

Hello.

I'm new here too and loving it. I just bought the Curly Girls book for my daughter. I learned about the "No Poo" method from this book. At any rate, the authors seem to indicate that conditioner build up can cause itching. They recommend a weekly scalp treatment/exfoliant scrub. The recipe is:

1 Tablespoon brown sugar or quinoa
3 Tablespoons conditioner

Mix to create a thick consistency. Wet hair in shower then rub the paste on fingertiips and massage gently in a circular motion starting at the nape and moving upward.
Rinse thoroughly then condition.

I've not tried it; let me know if it works for you. I hope that helps.

Cheveux

bump, and can anyone help her out? thanks /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Im thinking you probably had build up on your scalp and then the conditioner wash and oiling your scalp caused it to itch because of the build up. I probably wouldn't oil my scalp if I did a conditioner wash. But yeah I would go right head and shampoo my air to relieve the itch and build up.

I am thinking that you might have a buildup and may need to use a clarifying shampoo first to get it all out then start the no poo method.

Maybe you can try an ACV rinse with each of your c/o washes. This is what works for me:
hot oil pre shamp
c/o wash
ACV rinse 2 caps fulls to a litre and a half (very diluted but very effective)
deep condition
apply leave in and oil. airdry in 8 individual braids repeat every 3-4 days.
I use olive oil on my hair on the days in between and Profectiv anti-thinning every other day on the entire scalp and 2x's a day on the hairline.

so far no build-up and my scalp is clean due to the ACV. also i have 1 wash day every 3 weeks. HTH

I bumped a post for you that might help, another member had the same question.

But if all else fails, I would suggest washing your hair.

Here is the link to the other post
smile.gif
Itchies with No Shampoo

Back