Is this Too Much Heat

dicapr

I was wondering if a rollerset 2x a week would be too much heat. I am am 7 months post, and a rollerset straightens my new growth enough to get a neat bun. I don't want any heat damage when I do the BC. My new growth is just kind of stretched, not really straight. Do you think this would be damaging long term? Oh, I only dry under medium heat.

I wouldn't do it, but I'm not sure if it actually is too damaging. Why not try different styles instead since you're planning to BC and will have to work with your natural texture soon anyway?

dicapr said:
I was wondering if a rollerset 2x a week would be too much heat. I am am 7 months post, and a rollerset straightens my new growth enough to get a neat bun. I don't want any heat damage when I do the BC. My new growth is just kind of stretched, not really straight. Do you think this would be damaging long term? Oh, I only dry under medium heat.

I also rollerset(on freshly shampoo'ed hair) 2x a week under my dome dryer at medium heat and IMO I don't think it's too much heat b/c the heat from the dome dryer is evenly distributed all over as opposed to when I would use a handheld dryer with the comb attachments on my roots. The heat was more intense in that handheld dryer being right on my strand and cuticle.. my hair would split so bad from this. I no longer use handheld with comb attachment.

I guess I would just time how long u r under the dryer..if u are worried about all the heat. hth

Whimsy said:
I wouldn't do it, but I'm not sure if it actually is too damaging. Why not try different styles instead since you're planning to BC and will have to work with your natural texture soon anyway?

I'm not planning to BC until December of this year-hopefully 8 inches of hair. My hair is only styleable while wet now, and after 2 days its just a frizzy mess and I have to rewet and start all over again. It takes forever for my relaxed ends to dry and my hair is damp for 18 hrs. I just want to make it to summer when a wet head isn't so bad.

i dont think it will be too much heat if you are using a hooded dryer.. Just use a medium/ low setting and you should be ok

I do rollersets twice weekly also and dont think its a problem. As long as its not direct heat it should be fine IMO. I use medium heat.:)

Not too much heat, but IMHO it's a lot of manipulation. Rollersetting takes a lot of manipulation to get it just right-well, atleast for me it does because I am not too good at it.

Bosslady1 said:
Can you go down to 1x a week?:look:

I'll try, but I excercise and after step class mid week my hair is dripping wet! I have tried to lay it down with a scarf, but the hair is stiff and feels dirty for the rest of the week. It also feels and looks dry if I don't at least rinse the sweat out of it. Maybe I'll just try to wash mid week.

LocksOfLuV said:
Not too much heat, but IMHO it's a lot of manipulation. Rollersetting takes a lot of manipulation to get it just right-well, atleast for me it does because I am not too good at it.
Even if you are good at it, twice weekly roller sets can be too much manipulation. The level of heat is fine though.

You could try twisting your hair, then going under the bonnet dryer. It takes less than half the time of drying a roller set, is low manipulation and gives you a lovely style to work with your two textures. HTH

LocksOfLuV said:

RIGHT!! Thats exactly what i was about to say, and u took the words right out of my mouth. ;)

I would be less concerned about the indirect heat, and more concerned about the amount of combing/manipulation a rollerset takes. Thats why some ladies get there hair washed every other week instead of every week.... because with each roller set, there is going to be a degree of manipulation and, ultimately, hair that is combed out.

I LOVE how fresh rollersets look..... and if there way a way for me to get one 2x per week i would.... but my hair is so thin/fine that would be WAY too much combing/manipulation, hence, i opt for once per week. Heat really isnt the issue, imo.

HTH

KiniKakes said:
RIGHT!! Thats exactly what i was about to say, and u took the words right out of my mouth. ;)

I would be less concerned about the indirect heat, and more concerned about the amount of combing/manipulation a rollerset takes. Thats why some ladies get there hair washed every other week instead of every week.... because with each roller set, there is going to be a degree of manipulation and, ultimately, hair that is combed out.

I LOVE how fresh rollersets look..... and if there way a way for me to get one 2x per week i would.... but my hair is so thin/fine that would be WAY too much combing/manipulation, hence, i opt for once per week. Heat really isnt the issue, imo.

HTH

Hummm. I think you just found my problem. My hair is fine but I have a lot of it and I am currently rollersetting twice a week. When my new growth starts to come in I lose alot of hair and I think I need to just cut back. I think I might be better off with just once a week rollersets. My hair grew best when I went to a salon every week and all they would do what wash condition and give me a rollerset. *I just had a hair Aahhh moment*

I rollerset twice a week normally, and I wouldn't think that was to much heat. But as the other ladies have said the manipulation could cause damage. If you are careful that may not be a problem, it's not for me. But at 7 months post, I don't know.

Back