Is this possible?

seeminglysweet

I am 12 weeks post-relaxer. I am really trying to firgure out my nautral hair texture. When I was a child I never remember having curly hair, it was always just poufy wehn it was wet or when it air dried.

Is it possible to NOT have a curl pattern? My new growth is poufy with no curl pattern, it is a TINY bit wavy but nothing defined. This would make me 4C, correct?

seeminglysweet said:
I am 12 weeks post-relaxer. I am really trying to firgure out my nautral hair texture. When I was a child I never remember having curly hair, it was always just poufy wehn it was wet or when it air dried.

Is it possible to NOT have a curl pattern? My new growth is poufy with no curl pattern, it is a TINY bit wavy but nothing defined. This would make me 4C, correct?

1. It's difficult to tell your curl pattern only 12 weeks post.
2. I don't remember having curly hair either, because I think the constant press had already heat damaged my hair, so it was poofy too when I was a kid.
3. Yes, it is possible to not have a curl pattern. It wouldn't be 4c though. Frankly, I wish Andre had made a separate category for kinky hair in every 1-3 category (like kinky straight would be 1d, kinky wavy 2d, kinky curly 3d) but alas, all kinky hair is in type 4. So based on his system, you'd be in the large bucket of 4b.

But, again, it's difficult to tell your curl pattern at 12 weeks (I was 6 months when I could sort of tell). Also, it's hard to tell with relaxed ends--they straighten out the curl pattern significantly. Your hair might be very wavy or very curly, but you have a lot of relaxed hair still.

I think I have heard that this is possible, but more often than not your curl pattern just may not show up without a certain type and amount of product in your hair.

Have you ever paid attention to how your natural hair looks when soaking wet? If you don't see a curl pattern with soaking wet hair, then it might be safe to conclude that you don't have a curl pattern.

I didn't know there WAS a 4c! Is 4c in line as follows (i.e, 3, 3a, 3b, 3c, 4, 4a, 4b, 4c)? Dang, I may be 4c instead of 4b . . .

Neroli said:
I didn't know there WAS a 4c! Is 4c in line as follows (i.e, 3, 3a, 3b, 3c, 4, 4a, 4b, 4c)? Dang, I may be 4c instead of 4b . . .

I don't have Andre's book, but at far as I know, there is only a and b in his hair typing system (1a/b, 2a/b, 3a/b, 4a/b). 3c was made up by members at naturallycurly.com. I'm not sure if 1c and 2c were created by Andre either. 4c is also made up by people who seem to feel that their hair is "nappier" than 4b. :confused:

All Andre's system refers to is curl pattern, not hair texture, or thickness of hair.

Cheleigh said:
I don't have Andre's book, but at far as I know, there is only a and b in his hair typing system (1a/b, 2a/b, 3a/b, 4a/b). 3c was made up by members at naturallycurly.com. I'm not sure if 1c and 2c were created by Andre either. 4c is also made up by people who seem to feel that their hair is "nappier" than 4b. :confused:

All Andre's system refers to is curl pattern, not hair texture, or thickness of hair.

Thanks Cheleigh. I categorized my hair as the tightest curl pattern possible 'cause it just is! So if there is a curlier category than 4b, then I guess I'm in . . .

I'm definately not ready for a 6 mo stretch but when my hair is soaking wet the roots will puff up and the relaxed hair will get slightly wavy.

Back