Is this ok?

Hairryette

Hello everyone

I have a question, I've been reading alot about hair, have even posted a few times, experimented with a few products & things are going well :D

My "problem" is this....I'm wondering if its not a good thing to keep your hair up?

Its hard to explain but I've been reading that too much heat isnt a good thing, and it seems like whenever I blow-dry my hair, flat iron it, I'm amazed at the fact that anyone would willingly go through this every week! :lol:

My hair is fairly long, about to my shoulder blades, I have 2 different types of textures going on. The front half seems more wavy, the back seems more curly, so I tend to wash it, condition it, comb the conditioner through it (either the cream kind or the liquid...depending) and then I'll style it

Lately, the style that I've been wearing is me parting my hair into 4 sections, spraying it with Motions Leave-in, combing it & then twisting it as if to put in a bun, but I leave the hair out on top & I clip it...so that my natural curls are showing :)

I love the way it looks, its low-maintenance, its not being manipulated much, its cute, its off of my face & neck...its perfect...plus I can always add some little barrettes, scarves, clips, headbands to jazz it up a little if I'm feeling like it :)

At night, I wrap it with a silk scarf & thats that

In the morning, I undo the scarf, spray my hair again with Motions (not alot), fluff it a little bit & I'm out of the door ;)

I guess I'm wondering if this is ok? I read alot about ladies moisturizing their ends before bed to promote growth, keeping their ends hidden, etc etc and I feel like maybe I should be doing that but my hair is curly so theres so much shrinkage that a bun wouldn't look too nice on me, I think :(

I wish I had a picture but I really like that I have "discovered" this style because I can create at least SOME variety without damaging anything but I guess I feel like I should be doing something more :confused:

Any suggestions? I am trying to grow it just a little longer, trying to keep it healthy, minimize split ends, yada yada yada

Anything else that you think I should be doing?

Thanx ladies! :D

Tesha

Hey, Hairryette....

IMO, I think if this style works for you, you should stick with it. Some women on the board swear by protective styles that keep your ends covered and moisturized (i.e. buns), while other ladies will wash and use heat 1/week or 1/2 weeks and wrap their hair nightly. I think as long as you aren't manipulating your hair too much, your ends stay moisturized, and your hair remains healthy, stick with what's working for you!

As far as keeping your hair up...I think that's okay as long as there isn't a lot of tension involved in the style. I wear my hair in a bun most of the time and I use the open bobby pins, no scrunchies (used to use them but there was too much tension and pulling involved) and the style works good for me. My hair stays moisturized all day and I don't manipulate it much. Do what works for you, and if you see problems, then adjust your routine or styles to correct the problem(s) as you go. Good luck to you! :)

I was thinking that I can use heat depending on where I'm going, if theres an event/meeting that I have to go to, depending on who might be there, I may blow-dry & flat iron it :)

But if its just for work/play, I can do the curly bit :grin: & so far I'm loving it ;)

Does it matter what I moisturize it with? Meaning does it matter if its carrot/olive oil, or if its with the Motions Leave-In?

There isnt much tension because I don't twist the buns too tight & I dont clip the clips too tight either

I'm not much of a fan of the bobby pin right now, they tend to pull at my hair sometimes :ohwell:

So far it is working for me because I don't have to do much, its almost very wash & go :D but I'm just concerned that by doing this, I'm not taking care of my ends like I should

Should put oil on my ends before I add the twists or it is ok with the leave-in...or should I do both?

Tesha

No the protective style thing was causing damage. I have a short piece in the crown area where my ponytail goes and I had inverted U breakage in the nape are. I am going to lay off of it for a while.

I am just trying to make it to the last week in the December, then I am going to get a relaxer, cut, and style. A set of products and just try to keep it simple. Because 2 years and 0 retained growth later and I am very tired of this.

Hairryette said:
So you're saying that too much protective styling can cause damage too?
Or wearing too much of one style?

:confused:
It's not too much protective styling that causes damage. It's the method that can cause damage. As Cincysweetie said, if too much tension in involved in your styling, it can be no good. I'm a firm believer in protective styling, but it should be consistently gentle and not include any kind of friction, such as may occur from contact with your collar, for instance. You should also make sure that whatever hair ornaments used do not have rough edges or anything that can cut, break or pull on the hair in any way.

Wearing the same protective style in the same spot for too long can be potentially damaging, as well.

I recently discovered that my hair is long enough to wear in the twisted updo you described and I love the simplicity, protectiveness, and beauty of it. If I wear it for a special occasion, I would carefully add sparkly barrettes or pins and add some curly tendrils to frame and soften the look.

Back