Is there anyone with 4a/4b natural hair who rollerset to straighten?

meverllyn1

I decided to go natural, but sometimes I want my hair straight without using alot of heat. Can 4a/4b hair become somewhat straight with a rollerset under a hairdryer? Someone posts a similar question, but I think it was referring to relax hair.

So say you rollerset and airdry with no blowing out of the roots, is it the tension on the rollers as it dries that straightens the hair? :confused:

I'm a 4a/4b natural, and that's how I straighten my hair. I go to the dominicans and they blowdry the roots, or all of my hair afterwards. Starting this month though, I am not going to have the do any blowdrying at all, just the rollerset. I think it will turn out ok, except the roots just won't be as straight. But overall, I feel that rollersetting is one of the best ways for naturals to have straight/somewhat straight hair. I do not flat iron or press my hair at all, only rollerset and blowdry (which now, since I'm doing the bootcamp, I will stop the blowdrying). HTH

so so chic said:
I'm a 4a/4b natural, and that's how I straighten my hair. I go to the dominicans and they blowdry the roots, or all of my hair afterwards. Starting this month though, I am not going to have the do any blowdrying at all, just the rollerset. I think it will turn out ok, except the roots just won't be as straight. But overall, I feel that rollersetting is one of the best ways for naturals to have straight/somewhat straight hair. I do not flat iron or press my hair at all, only rollerset and blowdry (which now, since I'm doing the bootcamp, I will stop the blowdrying). HTH

Do you have pictures so I can see it? I don't like the smoked hair smell with flat ironing.

I'm trying this tonight, to straighten the hair and stretch it slightly. I'll probably end up blowing it dry for a second or two afterward, then flat iron. I hope it works..If anyone has any advice on this, please post!!!

I can't imagine airdrying my rollerset. I have mostly 3B & C textures, but I have to rollerset, sit under the dryer, and then flat iron to really get my hair straight.:yep:

Do you have pictures so I can see it? I don't like the smoked hair smell with flat ironing.

Country gal, i've read on here that the smoked hair smell is from hair product burning either on the hair or on the straightening utensil. Can anyone cosign this?

In my personal experience, last time i straightened i cleaned my flat iron with easy off oven spray (like i read here) and after every couple of passes with rubbing alcohol. I also used a heat protectant and I didn't get that smell. HTH!

I do. Well, I rollerset and then flat iron on a lower setting than I would use when I blowdry instead. The result is in my siggy (the last pic).

I am wondering the same thing. I had my hair done at a Dominican salon, but I cannot stand the heat of the blowdryer. My rollerset came out pretty straight, so I should have left it at that. I tried rollersetting at home and I haven't got the technique down just yet.

I wonder if you can rollerset then dry wrap to get the hair straight on natural hair?

Several people do this with great success. I have done it twice and need more practice but I must say, I love it. At the worst, it makes my hair so easy to comb. At the best, it was somewhat straight until I walked outside!

...perhaps there should be a separate thread for 4a's and 4b's... i can't imagine my hair in particular getting straight from JUST doing a rollerset and blowing out the roots... i've seen other 4b's do it and their hair will revert back to the fro if they comb it basically. AFashionSlave has some pictures in her fotki i believe.

what's my point? oh.. rollersetting alone for 4b's won't straighten the hair very well probably but it's good for stretching

Wonderful thread! I want to do a rollerset in two weeks to straighten my hair before I braid it, I need all the tips I can use. Last time I did it, my hair was somewhat frizzy:ohwell: but I did rollerset large parts of hair...

Attachments

• DSC00956.jpg
    DSC00956.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 141
  • DSC00957.jpg
    DSC00957.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 136
i am not sure who the member (s) were but they had threads up about doing ponytail rollersets. the hair was sectioned and then maybe 2 to 3 rollers per ponytail. they seemed to get the roots straight. HTH i wish i remembered who but i cant right now. if someone can remember please give her a link because they had pics up of their process.

Im natural. I guess I am 4 something or another. I have done 2 roller sets. My hair and roots came out the straightest when I did a ponytail roller set. The picture in my avatar show how straight I got. I tried to set without the ponytail holders and it was not a straight. That picture is in my albums but the picture is not to clear. That set did not come out as straight but I think I had enough tension on the hair while rolling that I did not blow or flat iron my roots.

I am 4a natural and I rollerset to straighten. My hair comes out looking exactly how it did when I rollerset relaxed hair....just a little lighter/fluffier. I was actually planning to set my hair on wash day this thursday.:yep:

Several people do this with great success. I have done it twice and need more practice but I must say, I love it. At the worst, it makes my hair so easy to comb. At the best, it was somewhat straight until I walked outside!

This happens to me. :look:
My hair gets big like yours in your siggy but I have come to embrace that wildness. :drunk:

I did it last week end and it came out ok. I def need more practice.

Attachments

• DSC01654.jpg
    DSC01654.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 112
  • DSC01657.jpg
    DSC01657.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 160
Back