Is Silk Elements Moisturizing Trtmnt a cheaper Moroccan Oil Mask

SelfStyled

I have to disclose that I am a HUGE fan of SE moisturizing mask.

Back story:Last week I ordered a new Solia flat iron from Folica and they were nice enough to send me a sample of Argan Oil- which is almost a direct knock off of Moroccan oil (2 ingredients are switched).Neither of these two oils are pure. I fell in love with the oil. My hair felt like silk. I know this has cones in it, which is okay because serums have a place in my regimen.

The Argan Oil was so good that it made me want to do some research....

Moroccan Oil Mask ingredients...
Water, Cetyl Alcohol, Linseed (Linum Usitatissimum) Extract, Dimethicone, Glycerin, Behentrimonium Chloride, Argania Spinoza Kernal Oil (Aragan Oil), Cetrimonium Chloride, Methylparaben, Fragrance Supplement, Butylphenyl, MethylPropional, Coumarin.

Price Ranges $36-55 for a 16.9 oz tub

Silk Elements Moisturizing Treatment ingredients.....
WATER ,CETEARYL ALCOHOL ,GLYCERIN ,CETYL ESTERS ,BEHENTRIMONIUM METHOSULFATE ,AMODIMETHICONE ,SODIUM PCA ,FRAGRANCE ,METHYLPARABEN ,PROPYLPARABEN ,TRIDECETH-15 ,CETRIMONIUM CHLORIDE ,CYCLOMETHICONE ,HELIANTHUS ANNUUS (SUNFLOWER) SEED OIL ,YELLOW 5 ,SILK AMINO ACIDS ,CHLORHEXIDINE DIHYDROCHLORIDE

Price Ranges $10 for a 16.9 oz tub -it was on sale last mo for $7.99

I know they are not identical ingredients but pretty close. THE SE does not have argan oil, bout the MO barely has it either:rolleyes::lachen: I am going to take the savings between the two products and buy a bottle of pure argan oil from henna sooq for $20 add it to the SE- and voila.

my mom just bought a box of silk elements hair dye, and she gave me the oil treatment that came in the box (i think thats the oil treatment your refering to) and im hoping it comes in big sizes because i mixed it with my conditioner and heated it up and applyed it to my hair, and i was SO SHOCKED my hair is 4b (and course) and it made my lil curls pop and super manageable, i must find it in the full size!! :)

not even close!

the SE has amodimethicone & cyclomethicone, which are not water soluble cones.

dimethicone is water soluble, so the 1st product would be a healthier choice for your hair in the long term, unless you don't have a problem with clarifying on a regular basis.

and because of the heavy cones, you may not want to add the argan oil to the SE. the cones will make your hair easier to detangle, and make it seem softer, but they'll also help to block some of the ingredients from penetrating into your hair. argan oil is pretty expensive, so instead, you may want to add it to another product that isn't so cone heavy :yep:

my mom just bought a box of silk elements hair dye, and she gave me the oil treatment that came in the box (i think thats the oil treatment your refering to) and im hoping it comes in big sizes because i mixed it with my conditioner and heated it up and applyed it to my hair, and i was SO SHOCKED my hair is 4b (and course) and it made my lil curls pop and super manageable, i must find it in the full size!! :)
No I am actually talking about a new oil that is available from Sally's that is a lot cheaper than Moroccan Oil

Moroccan Oil is a serum, not an oil, right?
I would consider it a serum it has mostly cones, with a teensy amount of argan oil.

but the Moroccan Oil by Moroccanoil is a serum, right?
Yes IMO

not even close!

dimethicone is water soluble, so the 1st product would be a healthier choice for your hair in the long term, unless you don't have a problem with clarifying on a regular basis.

and because of the heavy cones, you may not want to add the argan oil to the SE. the cones will make your hair easier to detangle, and make it seem softer, but they'll also help to block some of the ingredients from penetrating into your hair. argan oil is pretty expensive, so instead, you may want to add it to another product that isn't so cone heavy :yep:

^^^^
This why I love LHCF

Pookie you R-O-C-K, you broke it down for me. The way you explained it makes perfect sense to me. Thanks for the lesson on cones girlie.

I am definitely going to order pure argan oil- maybe I will try just on my hair, before I go playing mixologist.

I just left Sally's and they had that Argan oil for 1.99 for 0.25 ounce...bottle too small to show the ingredients..that is definitely one way to "get over"

I just left Sally's and they had that Argan oil for 1.99 for 0.25 ounce...bottle too small to show the ingredients..that is definitely one way to "get over"

Hey Sqzbly- the ingredients are on the website, let me see if I can find them for you....

Here they are:
Dimethicone, Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethiconol, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Fragrance (Parfum), Argania Spinosa Kernel Oil, Yellow 11 (CI 47000), Red 17 (CI 26100)

A little dab goes a long way. That little bottle will last me a long time.

not even close!

Dimethicone is not water soluble and it is a heavy silicone.

Hey Sqzbly- the ingredients are on the website, let me see if I can find them for you....

Here they are:
Dimethicone, Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethiconol, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Fragrance (Parfum), Argania Spinosa Kernel Oil, Yellow 11 (CI 47000), Red 17 (CI 26100)

A little dab goes a long way. That little bottle will last me a long time.

Hey SS - Thanks Girl - I didn't mean for anyone to go out their way!!! I saw the ingredients a few days ago...Thanks Again Friend!

Back