Is It Wrong....

..to want to go to a white stylist for trims? I've had some shady experiences with our own when it comes to trimming. I'm gearing towards my own trims; but, I wanted to know if, perhaps, going to a white stylist for trims could be a good step. They seem to do okay with trimming (though I know there are some scissor-happy ones as well).

What do you think? If you journeyed down this route, what were your experiences like? If not, why would you skip it?

Thanks!!

i would be mindful of anybody regardless of race, creed, ethnicity, gender, etc......
watch'em like a hawk

I don't think it matters either way if the stylist is white or black. All that matters is if they are going to listen and know the difference between a trim and a cut.

I think white stylists would be just like any other stylists. Some are great and some are just plain scissor happy :nono: I would give it a try though, maybe some of those sistahs were just jealous of your nice hair :grin:

It seems to me white stylists really know how to cut hair and cut it at a good style and angle as well as good legnth so they don't take that much off. I would rather for a white lady to cut my hair than other race.

i would say you should gear towards the quickie chain places like super cuts. they have never done me wrong

but a white stylist took me from almost hl to bsl in oct when all i asked and showed her was an inch... so yeah, watch out now!

the quickie places arent trying to prove to you anything and want you in and out their chair with no hassle so they can get the next person in. plus they deal with kids a lot which means they have to deal with parents a lot, so they listen and follow through better IMO

Is it wrong? I don't know you have reasons. However doesn't really mean the white stylist will be a better experience. Perhaps its just a general stylist "thing".

You said your geared towards doing your own trims, might as well start.

i would say you should gear towards the quickie chain places like super cuts. they have never done me wrong the quickie places arent trying to prove to you anything and want you in and out their chair with no hassle so they can get the next person in.

This is EXACTLY What I plan to do.:grin:

You just want a stylist who listens, period. Doesn't matter what they are. So I'd ask around, especially those that are accostomed to working with long hair.

Any color-I dont't trust them. It seems like the part of the brain that computes simple metrics is corrupted in the mind of the stylist.

The best haircut I've gotten was from a white stylist. She was also knowledgeable in black hair care. I say if they know what they are doing, go to them, regardless of race. It depends on the type of service you want as well. I wanted subtle layers and the black stylists I've gone too before gave me a chop, where this one gave me exactly what I asked for. I think they all have different concentrations, like cut or coloring, etc.

A (male) Barber is also another option. I went to one about a month ago based on recommendations from the forum. It was by far the BEST trim I've ever had.

I had to literally beg him to cut it. He was apprehensive, not because he didn't know how to handle longer hair but he had a sincere appreciate for women with long hair. His next appointment walked in and said - "Man!!! Why you cuttin that baby's hair!!!!"
Response - "Becuase she want me to."

Most men love long beautiful manes, so they won't do you wrong!

It was quite the experience but a good one!

A (male) Barber is also another option. I went to one about a month ago based on recommendations from the forum. It was by far the BEST trim I've ever had.

I had to literally beg him to cut it. He was apprehensive, not because he didn't know how to handle longer hair but he had a sincere appreciate for women with long hair. His next appointment walked in and said - "Man!!! Why you cuttin that baby's hair!!!!"
Response - "Becuase she want me to."

Most men love long beautiful manes, so they won't do you wrong!

It was quite the experience but a good one!

i feel this is so true beyond belief! in fact a little over a year ago i decided i wanted a pixie. my stylist at the time refused to do it because it was a very short pixie requiring some clipper work and wasnt comfortable. so she sent me to a barber she trusted. i walked in, and they kicked me out! he refused to chop off my hair! i went to 2 other barbers who did the same thing. by then i got frustrated and asked for a trim and barely got that. i asked where the hair he cut was at since i didnt see any hair on the floor... it looked like dust :lachen: that's how little dude cut :lachen: then he said dont come back or next time he just might chop off my hair :lachen: they're crazy

My recommendation has always been - go to a barber. I have for over 20 years. They are generally nervous when cutting a woman's hair, so they NEVER over cut. They err on the side of caution - something you want in smeone who is cutting your hair. And, they actually know what 1/8", 1/4", 1" is. If you tell them 1/4" that is what you will get. I've been to several barber literally all over the world - I've never been over cut. Under cut, yes, but never over.

HTH

I went to Great Clips for a trim a few times and only had white stylist. They are very good and know what a trim is instead of my past scissor happy stylists. I rather go to a white stylist for trims, if I just go for a trim.

I haven't been to a salon in years to have a trim but when I do go, I plan on going to Supercuts or a place like it. There will be no need to be scissor happy when that's all they do is cut all day long! If it's a guy even better!

I go to Fantastic Sams and have been for the last two years. So far, so good. They always cut exactly what I ask them to cut and nothing more.

Ladies,

I appreciate your suggestions and stories. Where I am in Southern CA (La Verne), black stylists are few and far in-between. If you find one, they are either scissor-happy and shysty, or too good and you can't see them when you want to.

I'll try the barber or chain stores (plenty of them around here) for a trim. I never do more than 1/4 anyway. Hopefully, I can find the right one.

Much love LHCF!!

ETA: Dang that, I read Sharifeh's thread. I'm learning to self-trim. Thank you and good night.

Last edited:
I go to a white quickie salon and have never had a problem with them. The trim is only $9 and they always just trim what I want, never more. They never try and talk you into getting more trimmed and also never turn me away from the mirror. I always leave pleased. I have two different stylist that I can go to. They know me in there. I think I am probably one of their only black clients. Hey they know me :)

Back